Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Any regrets on parts??

Old 11-24-2008, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=jeepnyak;803154]
Originally Posted by dburgette

what's going on between your tow hooks there?
Now there's an old picture. I drilled and tapped the top of the tow hooks and mounted a piece of unistrut up there. It held shovels and lights until Black Bear Road proved it was more powerful than the (below) average Mopar Bumper. Here's another picture of it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Then I found a pocket I hadn't emptied so I put something different up front.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jsmoriss
Tuffy Door Locks.

Vise-grips 'll take 'em off, no problem.

js.
I don't think it would be as easy as you may think to take them off with Vise grips. The outside "sleeve" is designed to spin without affecting the locking mechanism. You could clamp on with vise grips and spin all day long, but the lock will not disengage. I won't tell you that if someone has your Jeep for a day with a good set of tools, they will never get the door lockers off, but someone is definitely not coming by and grabbing the doors without putting in some time and effort. There are too many easier targets for a thief to risk that.
Give me a call if you don't think they are going to live up to your expectations.

Thanks
Jeff Fox
Tuffy
800-348-8339
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by tuffy2
The outside "sleeve" is designed to spin without affecting the locking mechanism. You could clamp on with vise grips and spin all day long, but the lock will not disengage.
Yup, I'm sure that was the idea, but the tolerances are so tight, the "nut" will certainly give way before the sleeve would (it takes a few good wacks from a hammer to get the lock out). A little grinding/sanding with the Dremel on the inner sleeve will take care of that, but it's PITA to do. I might try some good synth grease and see if it allows the sleeve to spin first.

js.
Old 11-27-2008, 01:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Don't waste your money!!!!

Let's kick this thread off with a bad investment on your JK!!

I'll start off with the GTS headlight covers. I thought they would look cool on the yellow JK and they do however they cut the brightness of your headlights by 75%!!!!!!! What the hell!!!!!! So now I just drive at night with the Fog's on.... Which is illegal here in Germany. Oh well.
Old 11-27-2008, 04:24 AM
JK Super Freak

I think this is better suited for the Modified section, but that being said, 100% agree. I bought these well over a year ago, removed the stupid GTS logo from the front, got them on, thought they looked pretty cool (they don't really conform all that well to the shape of the JK headlights), drove around all day and when I went to come home at night I couldn't see anything. I drove home with my high beams on.

If you're really set on blacking out your headlights, get a couple cans of VHT Nightshades. I did my turn signals and my side lamps and they came out great. I decided that the headlights on the JK just aren't good enough to have any kind of tinting on them.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What I got that I'm not longer using/or expect to no longer use:

1. Mopar tire cover. I like the looks better without it--too "soccer-mom looking".

2. Mopar carpet mats. It became obvious after my first mudding trip that those mats wouldn't cut it. Replaced with Husky liners.

3. Flashlight holder. Don't recall who made it, but when it arrived I suspected that it was too lightweight to hold a real flashlight, and, sure enough, my 4-cell Maglite has caused the securing straps to sag way too much--this in just a few months. I expect within a few more months it will no longer hold the flashlight.

I've seen a couple of negative comments regarding the weight of the flashlight causing the elastic to stretch & no longer securely hold the flashlight... which is why I mounted mine upside down so that the weight is on the fabric & velcro rather than the elastic. I have had it mounted this way (on my back roll bar) for close to a year with no sag in the elastic.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, whaddya know. Put on a set of headlight covers, and the headlights are dimmer.....
Old 11-30-2008, 06:08 AM
JK Newbie

Default Mr Grille

Like a couple others, I'm also regretting my purchase on the Mr Grille aluminum grille inserts for a couple reasons. I do a fair amount of interstate driving to get to work and I've taken some good stones to the radiator, so this is why I looked into these. They DO serve well for this purpose, however...

Upon installation I was sort of disappointed to see the retention "brackets" were merely a piece of the grille material notched to fit the inside of the grille slots. This was mentioned by another member here also. It was no big deal really, they went on fine, but I'm a fit and finish kind of guy and I guess I was expecting something more thought out. After installation before they are tightened you can move them a little in the grille to center them top to bottom. Well, the two outside slots on the grille seem to be ever so slightly different. I'm not sure if it's due to the slight curve of the front end or not. This made the two outside inserts stick out at the bottom. While it made no aesthetic difference from a few feet away, every time I washed the jeep or tried to get the bugs off the front end, my rag would always snag on the corners of these inserts. I do like the look of them.

They create nice vertical lines on the grille, but I couldn't get around the above mentioned issues I had with them, so I removed them the other day. This was when I became even more dissatisfied. After I took them off I found that the brackets that hold them on had cut small notches in the grille and cracked the paint where they mounted. Also the top and bottom edges of the inserts are sort of sharp, and even though I tried to center them in their slots on the Jeep grille, they managed to score the paint on each of the 7 slots on the grille.

I was rather disappointed and now I'm probably going to go with a DIY mesh behind the grille or just ante up for the Metalcrafters powdercoated version.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the Weathertech standard fitting floor mats. Big waste of money for me. I threw them in the back and bought the laser-cut ones for double the price. Those are well worth it.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not too crazy about the looks of my Olympic Boa rear bumper. It's a little small and wimpy looking for my taste, but, I guess it's still better than the original and will stay put until I get something better!

Quick Reply: Any regrets on parts??