Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?

Old 06-17-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a feeling that people in non-jeeps also waive to Phatback - I would Of course I have a Jeep so my waive would be legit

Last edited by StealthAWD; 06-18-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

When I had my CJ, I got a wave 100% of the time...

Then I had my Sahara TJ, it dropped to 70%...

had a 7 year hiatus from wranglers and now have a new JK...

Maybe 30% of the time i get a wave-back, and as stated in a prior post, mostly by other CJ and TJ owners.

A single tear as just dropped...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 AM
TMC
JK Enthusiast

I get the wave about 80% of the time up here in Minnesota.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

I bought my jeep on the 6th of June this year after wanting one for 6+ years. Went to college after I got out of the Marines and met a good group of guys and gals who were in my same classes (criminal justice). I noticed one of them drove a TJ and he gladly let me drive it around a bit. Him and his girlfriend, who I also went to college with, taught me the very first lesson about driving a Jeep...the JEEP WAVE! The day I went to get my Jeep, they came with me and he smiled when I showed him the Jeep JK. Knowing how badly I wanted a Jeep he even loaned me the money to get insurance for it! So, the first time I take it out it's like a Jeep convoy, my jeep following his and we must have ran into about 10 wranglers. All of them waved and one guy even reached out the window and yelled, "JEEP!" I was so excited by this introduction that I always wave pretty enthusiastically to other Wranglers and I've had about 80% waves in return. Just this week I took off the top and doors and went with my buddy to get the Jeep cleaned (with mud) On the way back we had Jeepers almost jumping lanes to wave at us. The Wave to me is one of the BEST perks of driving a Jeep. They really need to have that on the window as a feature
Old 06-20-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm probably getting around 90% in central Indiana right now.

Of course, I'm kinda hard to miss right - top down, 4 doors off, and I stick my whole dang arm out the side of the Jeep to wave.

With the doors on, I was probably getting closer to 60%.

I don't really care if they wave back or not - I'm in a Jeep, I'm !#@$#ing waving!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get waves about 50% of the time. Mostly I feel like I am the one waving though. My theory is this - for the last 15 or so years I have wanted a Jeep but was never in the position to buy one until now and in all honesty never even knew there was a Jeep wave. (I thought that was only a motorcycle thing. I have been riding bikes since I was 17.) Anyway, the first few days I had my Jeep I noticed a few of the older Jeeps waving at me so I waved back. Then I found JK Forum and sure enough learned immediately of the Jeep wave. To get to my point, I think there are certain "impulse" or "gotta have it" buyers that only bought the JK because they like the 4 door version and its the "in" thing right now. Similar to what the Hummer was a few years back. Then there are true fans of the Jeep Wrangler, those that research, join forums, off-road, modify, etc. their Jeeps because their Jeep is their life. These are the people that know about the wave and feel a sense of pride when we see other Jeeps. This is what I consider a "Jeeper". As for all the impulse blind to our world people driving Jeeps, give them a few years and their leases will be up and they will eventually dwindle off to another fad. As for me, now that I finally have my first Jeep, I can't imagine not always having a Jeep. It has become a way of life for me just like my motorcycle.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TommyG
Then there are true fans of the Jeep Wrangler, those that research, join forums, off-road, modify, etc. their Jeeps because their Jeep is their life. These are the people that know about the wave and feel a sense of pride when we see other Jeeps. As for me, now that I finally have my first Jeep, I can't imagine not always having a Jeep. It has become a way of life for me just like my motorcycle.
This can only explain why for 30 years I've always wanted a jeep, finally got one, traded, got another, traded, got a third, traded, and then finally wised up and decided I can't fight it, I gave in and got a 4th jeep. It's in the blood now and I can't see my way thru without my JK. Welcome to the Jeepaholics, you are in good company!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 03:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Hey, is it against the "rules" for me to wave out the window of my KJ until I get the JK?
Old 06-21-2008, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

A buddy and I were driving out to go wheel a bit with the top and doors off, and a COP waved at us while making a turn.

Now I know it's completely legal to do so.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I wave all the time to other jeeps. Most wave back and some don't. I think sometimes people just aren't paying attention which is cool. I don't really care if I get a wave back but it is always uplifting when it happens or if someone waves at me first.

Quick Reply: Did the JK kill the "Jeep Wave"?