Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Don't get the Wild Boar/angry eye grill craze...

Old 08-14-2016, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Oops their I go again giving my opinion. I forgot if i dont go along with the violent angry eye mob i get run out of town.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 207 Likes on 181 Posts

On the bright side, there is one mod that's even dumber looking than the angry eyes.

And here it is:

Although, if I decided to do it, I would likely put on the finishing touches to make it look complete.

For instance, from the angry eye posted earlier, it just looks incomplete without the finishing touches.
This looks much better, since it's more complete in my opinion.

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-14-2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:41 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm going to just share my opinion because that's all I can do. I think the "angry eyes" look is just plain goofy. The friend with whom I just spent nearly 10,000 miles in our Jeeps driving in Alaska and western Canada, including north of the Arctic Circle in both countries, was concerned about some of the especially rough routes with rock damage to his air conditioner condenser. He was looking for a cheap solution, so ended up opting for one of those silly looking angry eyes grills because it included a screen in each of the seven slots that he hoped would stop any flying rocks. I didn't share this with him, but I really hated the thought of that stupid looking (are you getting the idea of how I feel about these?) grill in the videos I'd produce after the trips. But, heck, they're actually our videos, and it's his Jeep.

Anyway, good fortune stepped in: He noticed that his engine temperature was running about 20° higher than before he swapped out the grill. And his 3.6L engine fan was running almost constantly in high speed mode. He was concerned about setting out on a 10,000 mile trip, much of it without any kind of outside parts and mechanical support. So he removed the angry eyes grill and put the stock one back on. We ended up using some mesh from a local hardware store zip-tied behind both of our grills. And it worked just fine. For the small stuff--not so the big rock that took out one of my driving lights, and the mesh didn't do squat for the three windshields that we lost (yes, I was stupid enough to have mine, which was cracking in front of the driver and intruding on my photography, replaced mid-trip). But at least I didn't have that ugly-ass angry eyes look in my photos.

That is just my opinion. If you like that look, hey,go for it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska Trip, May-Jul 16, 7_12902, Ray on Denali Highway.jpg
Views:	361
Size:	2.59 MB
ID:	654571

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIi8xebflb0
Old 08-14-2016, 10:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
I'm going to just share my opinion because that's all I can do. I think the "angry eyes" look is just plain goofy. The friend with whom I just spent nearly 10,000 miles in our Jeeps driving in Alaska and western Canada, including north of the Arctic Circle in both countries, was concerned about some of the especially rough routes with rock damage to his air conditioner condenser. He was looking for a cheap solution, so ended up opting for one of those silly looking angry eyes grills because it included a screen in each of the seven slots that he hoped would stop any flying rocks. I didn't share this with him, but I really hated the thought of that stupid looking (are you getting the idea of how I feel about these?) grill in the videos I'd produce after the trips. But, heck, they're actually our videos, and it's his Jeep.

Anyway, good fortune stepped in: He noticed that his engine temperature was running about 20° higher than before he swapped out the grill. And his 3.6L engine fan was running almost constantly in high speed mode. He was concerned about setting out on a 10,000 mile trip, much of it without any kind of outside parts and mechanical support. So he removed the angry eyes grill and put the stock one back on. We ended up using some mesh from a local hardware store zip-tied behind both of our grills. And it worked just fine. For the small stuff--not so the big rock that took out one of my driving lights, and the mesh didn't do squat for the three windshields that we lost (yes, I was stupid enough to have mine, which was cracking in front of the driver and intruding on my photography, replaced mid-trip). But at least I didn't have that ugly-ass angry eyes look in my photos.

That is just my opinion. If you like that look, hey,go for it.

Attachment 654571

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIi8xebflb0
Yup, all personal taste, Mark. Interestingly, I have a sheet of 1.5mm stainless steel with 8mm holes behind my grille which has protected it just fine but my engine does run warmer as a result. It's not proved detrimental and I'm not sure if diesel engines run at a lower temp than petrol engines but.. That would suggest to me that it's not the grille itself that's causing the problem but the mesh.

I'm also about to install Daystar hood vents either side of my hood so it will be interesting to see if these help. I'll test as I go along and post some results with the standard hood and my SS "mesh", the eagle eyes grill with mesh and without mesh and then with again with the hood vents.

That said, it's strange, because thousands of Jeepers have put mesh inserts in their grilles for many years and I've yet to read any threads that said their engines were overheating as a result.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UKCRD
Yup, all personal taste, Mark. Interestingly, I have a sheet of 1.5mm stainless steel with 8mm holes behind my grille which has protected it just fine but my engine does run warmer as a result. It's not proved detrimental and I'm not sure if diesel engines run at a lower temp than petrol engines but.. That would suggest to me that it's not the grille itself that's causing the problem but the mesh. I'm also about to install Daystar hood vents either side of my hood so it will be interesting to see if these help. I'll test as I go along and post some results with the standard hood and my SS "mesh", the eagle eyes grill with mesh and without mesh and then with again with the hood vents. That said, it's strange, because thousands of Jeepers have put mesh inserts in their grilles for many years and I've yet to read any threads that said their engines were overheating as a result.
It's all that anger that heats them up (get what I did - this is an angry eyes thread ha ha )
Old 08-15-2016, 11:03 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
It's all that anger that heats them up (get what I did - this is an angry eyes thread ha ha )
Focused eyes!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup, all personal taste, Mark. Interestingly, I have a sheet of 1.5mm stainless steel with 8mm holes behind my grille which has protected it just fine but my engine does run warmer as a result. It's not proved detrimental and I'm not sure if diesel engines run at a lower temp than petrol engines but.. That would suggest to me that it's not the grille itself that's causing the problem but the mesh.
THREAD HIJACK!! Gonna talk about something useful now instead of angry eyes.

The perforated steel "grille" you are describing is a WHOLE LOT more restrictive than the typical mesh inserts that go behind an ordinary JK grille, or the common DIY alternative using expanded aluminum "gutter guard" type mesh from a home store. Those wire or thin expanded alu mesh inserts add virtually zero airflow restriction especially at low speeds or when stopped, which is when it matters. But a perforated sheet metal part would add a lot of flow restriction.

I'm also about to install Daystar hood vents either side of my hood so it will be interesting to see if these help. I'll test as I go along and post some results with the standard hood and my SS "mesh", the eagle eyes grill with mesh and without mesh and then with again with the hood vents.
Hood vents are going to make it worse. Airflow under the hood is done on purpose and by design. The whole objective is to create a pressure difference between the high pressure air in front of the radiator and lower pressure behind it, so that air encountered by the Jeep is forced through the radiator. Adding vents into the hood will increase the air pressure behind the radiator and reduce cooling efficiency. Pretty much all meaningful cooling of the engine is done solely through the radiator. Hot air "trapped" under the hood is actually a good thing, since it means that cool air has passed through the radiator and picked up heat on its way through.

Too frequently shade-tree mechanics consider underhood temps to be a negative indicator of cooling efficiency and try and find a way to make the air inside the engine bay cooler when the air around the engine is hardly relevant in terms of cooling. It's all about the radiator and getting forced through it.

If you are having overheating issues with your sheet metal grate then remove the grate and replace with something that is not restricting airflow. I assume most on this forum who have overheating issues also have removed the cover that goes below the bumper which is also a bad idea, since it allows air to get into the front side of the fan without first having to go through the radiator. Put that part back. Yeah I know, you think it looks cool to show off whatever painted tie rod or other stuff you have under there and a hundred other internet experts said it has no negative effect but you're the one with overheating issues, right? Why not try it the way the engineers at Chrysler designed it to work.

Oh yeah, one other thing, the engine should run a constant temperature. The gauge should basically point straight up. Some old school guys might think 190F is too hot but it's not, and you are shooting yourself in the foot to try and get the needle to point to the left or the temp to be 160F. The engine is intended to keep a constant temperature. It's either working correctly or overheating. If you modify it to make it run too cold then you'll get awful gas mileage and carbon deposits and all that kind of stuff when it is running too cold, and then when the needle gets up to middle you'll freak out and think you're overheating. This isn't a 60s small block Chevy.

Now back to your regularly scheduled bashing of each other's taste in dress-up parts.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mr72
THREAD HIJACK!! Gonna talk about something useful now instead of angry eyes.

The perforated steel "grille" you are describing is a WHOLE LOT more restrictive than the typical mesh inserts that go behind an ordinary JK grille, or the common DIY alternative using expanded aluminum "gutter guard" type mesh from a home store. Those wire or thin expanded alu mesh inserts add virtually zero airflow restriction especially at low speeds or when stopped, which is when it matters. But a perforated sheet metal part would add a lot of flow restriction.

Hood vents are going to make it worse. Airflow under the hood is done on purpose and by design. The whole objective is to create a pressure difference between the high pressure air in front of the radiator and lower pressure behind it, so that air encountered by the Jeep is forced through the radiator. Adding vents into the hood will increase the air pressure behind the radiator and reduce cooling efficiency. Pretty much all meaningful cooling of the engine is done solely through the radiator. Hot air "trapped" under the hood is actually a good thing, since it means that cool air has passed through the radiator and picked up heat on its way through.

Too frequently shade-tree mechanics consider underhood temps to be a negative indicator of cooling efficiency and try and find a way to make the air inside the engine bay cooler when the air around the engine is hardly relevant in terms of cooling. It's all about the radiator and getting forced through it.

If you are having overheating issues with your sheet metal grate then remove the grate and replace with something that is not restricting airflow. I assume most on this forum who have overheating issues also have removed the cover that goes below the bumper which is also a bad idea, since it allows air to get into the front side of the fan without first having to go through the radiator. Put that part back. Yeah I know, you think it looks cool to show off whatever painted tie rod or other stuff you have under there and a hundred other internet experts said it has no negative effect but you're the one with overheating issues, right? Why not try it the way the engineers at Chrysler designed it to work.

Oh yeah, one other thing, the engine should run a constant temperature. The gauge should basically point straight up. Some old school guys might think 190F is too hot but it's not, and you are shooting yourself in the foot to try and get the needle to point to the left or the temp to be 160F. The engine is intended to keep a constant temperature. It's either working correctly or overheating. If you modify it to make it run too cold then you'll get awful gas mileage and carbon deposits and all that kind of stuff when it is running too cold, and then when the needle gets up to middle you'll freak out and think you're overheating. This isn't a 60s small block Chevy.

Now back to your regularly scheduled bashing of each other's taste in dress-up parts.
Useful post and many thanks. I'm not personally having a problem with engine temp with my my mesh; it was Mark's friend who seemed to suffer. I also run a snorkel so there's plenty of clean fresh air getting into the engine. I'm just interested to see how the various mods practically affect the temp.
Old 08-16-2016, 06:39 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also run a snorkel so there's plenty of clean fresh air getting into the engine. I'm just interested to see how the various mods practically affect the temp.
Pretty much any mods that change the bodywork of the front of the Jeep (yes, that includes bumpers) or hood are going to adversely affect cooling, besides maybe fully removing the grille. The wire mesh that is common to prevent rocks from getting in will have minimal effect if any but other mods will have varyingly more negative effect.

But there's no telling this stuff to old-school guys who insist that vents in the hood means better cooling, lower-temp thermostats fix overheating and plastic parts don't belong on a Jeep. I suppose not everyone is cut out to be an engineer.
Old 08-16-2016, 10:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mr72
Pretty much any mods that change the bodywork of the front of the Jeep (yes, that includes bumpers) or hood are going to adversely affect cooling, besides maybe fully removing the grille. The wire mesh that is common to prevent rocks from getting in will have minimal effect if any but other mods will have varyingly more negative effect.

But there's no telling this stuff to old-school guys who insist that vents in the hood means better cooling, lower-temp thermostats fix overheating and plastic parts don't belong on a Jeep. I suppose not everyone is cut out to be an engineer.
Yup, sounds about right.

Quick Reply: Don't get the Wild Boar/angry eye grill craze...