Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Dont know what to do??

Old 10-02-2006, 06:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont know what to do??

Im stuck between getting the 4 door unlimited today or waiting tell 2008 to get the diesle. This is a major decision?? What do you guys think would be better at saving fuel money, the v6 or the diesle with the even higher gas prices??

Also, are you guys for sure know that there will be a diesle by 2008? Thanks alot
Old 10-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Hefavitzen

I hear you! I am in the same boat. BUT...20MPG is pretty attrocious milage today!

I mean really!

So...I am tempted to wait to see if they come out with a deisel. I remember the 80's when deisel was cheaper than gas, it may happen again. Anyway, if it really get's 30mpg plus and also has quite a bit more torque, I'm going for it.

Gasoline (87 octaine - $2.75 a gallon average)
15,000 miles a year / 20 mpg = 750 X $2.75 gallon of gas = $2,062.50 a year

Diesel ($2.85 a gallon average)
15,000 miles a year / 30 mpg = $1,425.00 a year

So...$637.50 savings...yeah...I'll do that. That is enough for a 30,000 maintenance at the dealer!!!!
Old 10-02-2006, 02:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think they will have diesels in the 2008 model year. Too many restrictions here. I am sure if they could they would have offered it this year, since they are already shipping them overseas. if they ever do work that out I will trade up and get one. I am sure it will be some time though.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Rubimon
I don't think they will have diesels in the 2008 model year. Too many restrictions here. I am sure if they could they would have offered it this year, since they are already shipping them overseas. if they ever do work that out I will trade up and get one. I am sure it will be some time though.
Just read a thread where WOL said his sources say there will be a diesel in 2008. He certainly is more informed on that subject than I am.:o
Old 10-02-2006, 07:39 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubimon
Just read a thread where WOL said his sources say there will be a diesel in 2008. He certainly is more informed on that subject than I am.:o
:o LOL!! I should clarify that my sources say that DC is planning on releasing a diesel in 2008. This source is confident enough about this info that he is waiting to buy his JK even though he really wants one and can afford one now. Having said that, what DC is planning and what the laws will allow are two different things altogether. I'm sure if the the laws were different now, we would be seeing JK's with the CRD today.
Old 10-02-2006, 08:16 PM
JK Newbie

whos your source though?? Just wonderin,,!! Um, i dought the diesle will make 30 mpg, maybe 25 at tops, diesles are really heavy
Old 10-02-2006, 08:51 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rubicon lover
whos your source though?? Just wonderin,,!! Um, i dought the diesle will make 30 mpg, maybe 25 at tops, diesles are really heavy
In all honesty, no one from DC. Just someone in the industry that has his connections. He knew about the overseas CRD's before it was official on the Jeep website and so now I'm inclined to think he may know a thing or two about a US diesel too. But as I said before, who can know for sure.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

I mentioned it before I think...

The Euro diesel motors require a low Sulfer fuel and that fuel is not going to be available in the USA until next year. It wasn't worth retooling the old engine in the Liberty to run clean this year only to be able to toss in a better engine from the European market once the Low Sulfer diesel is common here. The GC gets away with it only due to GVWR limits. Same thing with large Diesel trucks. But you can be sure that as time progresses the law will include more and more vehicles.

Note that in Europe where gasoline and diesel are MUCH more expensive, you don't see any hybrids. They use diesel because it's a much cheaper and more efficient alternative in the long run.
Old 10-03-2006, 06:11 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
In all honesty, no one from DC. Just someone in the industry that has his connections. He knew about the overseas CRD's before it was official on the Jeep website and so now I'm inclined to think he may know a thing or two about a US diesel too. But as I said before, who can know for sure.
Does anyone know if these will be turbo diesels,or just regular deisel??
Old 10-03-2006, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Im going to try to wait for 08 to see if the V8 or diesel show up.

Quick Reply: Dont know what to do??