Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Doors off freeway

Old 09-04-2007, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rafiki
Are side mirrors mandatory?
I think it varies from state to state.

A client of mine (NH state trooper) is also a Jeeper. I mentioned that I didn't have any side mirrors when I pulled my doors off this week, and he laughed. He said he didn't have any, either.

I took it as a license to drag my feet on re-positioning them.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Fun as hell, Windy as hell, Loud as hell when passing a semi. ALso keep in mind the poltergist effect starts occuring at about 60MPH. I have seen many things I did not know were in my jeep shoot up front between the passenger and driver seats hover then fly out the window. If you time it right you can catch it but if not forget it there is no catching it once it hits warp speed.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto to everything that's been said already. I have the Mopar heavy slush mats and keep them in all year round. The back ones were floating about a foot off the ground and I had to keep reaching back to bat them down, although they probably would have just landed on the back seat anyway. To tell you the truth I also think my 4-door looks kind of strange with the doors off.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was able to push my rear mats under the front seat brackets to hold them down however I have not tested them at highway speeds.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
JK Super Freak

I figure that if it light enough to fly away, I don't need it. Any ways the Jeep empties my pockets so I don't have to keep an eye on my money.
It's windy, but really fun.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

wow yea i just went out and drove on the freeway for a quick bit and the cup in my cup holder almost flew out haha... but overall i think its really fun especially seeing the ground moving soo fast below you. I guess the more I get used to watching out for semis and other big cars-since they blow the hell outa you-the more i'll like it. Thanks for all the advice guys!
Old 09-04-2007, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

doors off is a fun feeling... takes a little to get use to. I love it, my mom was in jeep and thought it was cool too (she is from the farm in Mississippi so its like riding on the side of a truck for her). Now my girlfriend on the other hand.... not such a big fan of the no doors. O and if it rains and you have no doors on and no window you will see an interesting display of how water particles move through the air to soak everything in your jeep and will have water dripping off your soundbar
Old 09-04-2007, 01:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I almost dropped out of an old CJ-5 back in '84 - doing 60 on the Merritt Parkway in CT. I don't remember how it happened but I do remember the driver swerving and a back seat passenger scooping me back up. Head first at 60 would have sucked. I probably was too cool for a seat belt, but it may have been old enough that it didn't have them.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

i was wondering about the no mirrors being legal in MO too. Has anyone seen any temporary mirrors that fit in the door hinge when the doors are off? I'm not sure i want to mount brackets on the a-post and i rarely take my doors off anyway.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

or for those of us with only 2 drs....

damn you people. after reading about the doors off, i got home this evening and took mine off... hope it doesnt get to hot this week

Quick Reply: Doors off freeway