Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Drag racing the Jk?

Old 07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Sorry to hijack, but why does every guy in a 3/4 ton diesel pickup want to race these days? I'm being serious.

These guys are seriously horny to show off their fancy modern diesel engines. I see it all the time. They'll dash away from a stop light and leave an entire row of cars choking on black smoke. No doubt: modern diesels rock. But note to Mr. Truck Nuts: please stop feeling so insecure about your choice of steed.
I admit I am one of those guys that chokes up a few vehicles with Black Coal Smoke BUT it's not to race it is for the times when I get a shit head with a boom box/thumping rattle bass ricer car with windows rolled down in rush hour traffic. This is when I select my Edge Tuner to Extreme and lag my turbo and blast them out with some Black Coal when the light turns green! It gets them to close up the windows and sunroof at the next red light really quickly so i don't have to hear that shitty rap music and hear there car rattling to pieces! Also, I will do choke out tailgaters to give them the heads up to back-off!

Originally Posted by arasco85
agreed. i had a 7.3 before i got my jk. never understood why they think the excess deisel coming out of their exhaust was cool. had banks on mine but had it done properly.
It's not how you had your Diesel programmer setup. You can actually tune a few of the powerchips (Edge/Bullydog) on the fly and get them to create a pile of Black Coal smoke if you set it for increased fueling on each power level if you have an onboard selectable powerchip gauge.

Last edited by RevyJKU08; 07-13-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JK-Tex
Sorry to hijack, but why does every guy in a 3/4 ton diesel pickup want to race these days? I'm being serious.

These guys are seriously horny to show off their fancy modern diesel engines. I see it all the time. They'll dash away from a stop light and leave an entire row of cars choking on black smoke. No doubt: modern diesels rock. But note to Mr. Truck Nuts: please stop feeling so insecure about your choice of steed.
I admit I am one of those guys that chokes up a few vehicles with Black Coal Smoke BUT it's not to race it is for the times when I get a shit head with a boom box/thumping rattle bass ricer car with windows rolled down in rush hour traffic.

This is when I select my Edge Tuner to Extreme and lag my turbo and blast them out with a pile of Black Coal when the light turns green leaving them choking up black smoke! It gets them to close up the windows and sunroof at the next red light really quickly so i don't have to hear that shitty rap music and hear the car rattling to pieces! Also, I will choke out tailgaters with loads of black smoke to give them the heads up to back-off!

Originally Posted by arasco85
agreed. i had a 7.3 before i got my jk. never understood why they think the excess deisel coming out of their exhaust was cool. had banks on mine but had it done properly.
It's not how you had your Diesel programmer setup. You can actually tune a few of the powerchips (Edge/Bullydog) on the fly and get them to create a pile of Black Coal smoke if you set it for increased fueling on each power level if you have an onboard selectable powerchip gauge.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:14 PM
JK Freak

I'm not going to take my JK to the strip.

In my "crazier days" I had a 2 door Explorer with 33"s and a supercharger. Ran high 14's and surprised a bunch of people. I actually won a couple of drag trophies
Old 07-13-2010, 02:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe the jk that cop 4x4 build with the 7.2 hemi can take him
Old 07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Newbie

The whole idea of doing a drag race is totally retarded... I can't imagine why one would even think about doing it.

It's just like going down stairs in a wheelchair or something... why, whyyyy ...
Old 07-13-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKmudslinger09
One of my buddies keeps bugging me to go drag racing with him but he just doesn't understand that I own a wrangler... I'm thinking about doing it though but I'm afraid of blowing the motor. Anyone else tune their Jk and take it to the strip? If so, post your mods and times.
Since you're in Vermont, I say wait until your first BIG snow fall of the year and then race your buddy Any other time of year, he's pretty much going to lay a beating on you.

Drag racing is very addictive and loads of fun. I run my '02 Firehawk down the 1/4 mile 4-5 times a year and hit the road course once or twice a year but I would never think of taking the JK to the track.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

As the old qoute goes:

Corvette: Zero to sixty? 3.4 seconds

Jeep: Zero to sixty? Enventually
Old 07-13-2010, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by montrealer
The whole idea of doing a drag race is totally retarded... I can't imagine why one would even think about doing it.

It's just like going down stairs in a wheelchair or something... why, whyyyy ...
More like going upstairs in a wheelchair.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by montrealer

It's a fun hobby, just like Jeeps and four wheeling is for us. Why bash their hobby if their being safe about it by racing on a track?
Old 07-13-2010, 05:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by db99wj
Just no.......
Agree.....Just, NO

Quick Reply: Drag racing the Jk?