Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Geico Insurance Company

Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
No they don't. They simply want to KNOW about mods so that they can rate the policy accordingly. The reason I have Geico in the first place is because they have one of their main offices in Macon. I know someone personally who is an insurance executive there. I have been down the modded road with them before, and they DO insure modded vehicles, including Jeeps. My best advice is don't believe anything until you get it from the horses mouth.
What Red said, they don't have a clue mines modified and I doubt it would matter.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:24 PM
JK Newbie

I work in the auto insurance industry....something like this would vary from state to state as many companies have policies that differ from state to state. These policies are ever changing so not only make sure you have the correct state policy but the most recent insurance policy for your company. A simple question to your carrier should clear it up...if they mumble, say they will investigate....prob not covered or is a case by case situation....

where i work, this is covered under both comp/collision depending on nature of accident
Old 06-13-2008, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

A very simple solution if a claim is ever denied as not being covered by the policy: Politely ask for the denial in writing, including the policy language that excludes the coverage for your claim. If they can show you the exclusion, it really isn't covered. If they can't, than it's covered and you should ask to speak with a supervisor.

Since we don't know all of the exact details of this particular circumstance, there could be several variables we haven't heard that could cause the claim not be covered (hadn't paid the premium; an excluded driver; involved in a race; didn't have collision coverage; misrepresented how the loss occurred; under the deductible). Also possible that GEICO's policy really does require the accident to be on or near a paved road.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
JK Freak

their may be an agent on this site, as im sure there is, but coming from a guy who is going to school for insurance i can tell you a few things old guys lol.

First and foremost, to all the dumb people that keep barking on State Farm. They are one of the best agencies out there. This is not an opinion but a fact, do some research. And, they were not the only company that backed out, others did as well. And, the only reason why they backed out was because re insurance companies, yes insurance companies actually buy insurance from other companies to spread the loss out, back out from those companies, so you had a domino effect, but of course, the average joe on the street doesn't know this and blames the insurance company.

Another point, What do you think an insurance company is?? Do you they are in the business to not make money...hell know, you are naive if you think otherwise. why do you think some people cant get insurance, such as on the coast here in Fl now. Chances are, if the insurance companies insured them, there is a good chance in the next 5 years there will be some sort of claim. So, either they charge them rediculous rates or they dont offer insurance.

Geiko....not my favorite company, but whatever. They sink a lot of money into advertising so you think they are huge. Go with a better company like All State, State Farm, or Berkshire Hathaway. They are more personable companies and tend to work with the customer more.

Speaking of hitting a deer, i herd a horror story involving a man and his insurance company, cant remember the name of it though. Anyway, he called to report his claim of hitting a deer on a back country road, which happens all the time right. Well, the company said because he hit the deer and not him, they were not responsible. Basically, he should have said, i was driving and a deer hit me lol. funny stuff. But in all seriousness, go with a good reputable company, not a middle of the road company, or you will get middle road performance and service back.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I deal with Geico on the collision side of things. THEY SUCK!!!! Most insurince company's do but Geico is the SUCKIEST!!!!!!
Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_)
I deal with Geico on the collision side of things. THEY SUCK!!!! Most insurince company's do but Geico is the SUCKIEST!!!!!!
That may be true, but they have a cool lizard.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bofer84
their may be an agent on this site, as im sure there is, but coming from a guy who is going to school for insurance i can tell you a few things old guys lol.

Geiko....not my favorite company, but whatever. They sink a lot of money into advertising so you think they are huge. Go with a better company like All State, State Farm, or Berkshire Hathaway. They are more personable companies and tend to work with the customer more. ...
Uh, GEICO is owned by Berkshire Hathaway and is the fourth largest auto insurer in the US, just a few policies behind Progressive. If you're going to school for insurance (I have to pay for mine) you might want to work on your research and spelling skills a little.

Aside from that you are mostly correct, though I believe State Farm's reinsurance is primarily through another State Farm division. Still, no fun to lose billions due to bad weather combining with poor building decisions.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have been an Insurance agent in the state of Florida for 17 Years and after reading all these post I would have to agree that buyer beware. Read your policy jacket and read it well.I for one would tell my customers to read there policy jacket and understand what they are reading. Alot of Auto policies in Florida exclude off road use and lot of them will also not cover raised/lifted vehicles.When you purchase a policy with a company like Geico which you do over the phone they are supposed to ask you if you have made any mods to your vehcile, since they do not take photos of it they are going strickly by what you tell them,thats where the problem begins,AFTER A CLAIM IS FILED!There is special policies for specific coverage for specific usage which you need to ask for and understand.As for the term Full coverage I always told my customers.

YOU CAN ALWAYS BE UNDER INSURED YOU CAN NEVER BE OVER INSURED!

I for one haven given up the Insurance Business as to all the "BS" from the Insurance Companies and also the Customers.The customers always want the best rate but dont want to pay for the correct coverage.All in All do you Homework as there is still alot of good companies out there just make sure you are upfront with the Agent/Company when you purchase your Policy.
Old 06-14-2008, 04:10 AM
JK Freak

I've had GEICO for years and have been well satisfied with any claims we have made. We had one claim for one of our cars that was totaled in a rear end collision, got a check no problem. We have had two windshields replaced, no problems. My son also has GEICO. One nice coverage they have is mechanical insurance. When you buy a new vehicle, has to be new, you can add mechanical insurance for about $17 per six months. This is $250 deductible with coverage that now lasts until 100,000 miles, no time limit. It used to be unlimited mileage, our van has that one, our JK has the mileage limit. My son's car broke a spring in the clutch package and it tore up the entire clutch and pressure plate. He had the entire package repaired at the Honda shop after his original warranty expired. He called GEICO, they said hang on a minute, and while he waited GEICO talked to the service manager. GEICO came back on the phone and said pay the $250, the rest is taken care of. Total bill was about $1200. At 130,000 miles he needed his cat replaced. The part alone was a grand. Once again, GEICO picked up the tab after the $250 deductible was paid. We keep this insurance on both our vehicles (I don't have the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on the JK). I'm sticking with GEICO.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im dealing AGAINST geico right now.
they tell me there is a dispute of liability. police report and my story match exactly... Driver in unit number 1 (me) made no unsafe actions. WHERES THE MONEY FIX MY TRUCK!!!!!

i would never give them my business.

Quick Reply: Geico Insurance Company