Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Geico Insurance Company

Old 06-14-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am surprised that any insurance company would cover severe off-road use unless the policy was specific to off road use or had a special rider. Off road use means in many cases much higher chance of damage due to, at times, foolish driving. (I bet I am going to get bashed for this comment). Kinda like life insurance companies not covering for scuba deeper than 60 feet...the risk is too great (yes ...I have been to 200 feet at my own risk). I would think if you roll your jeep cause you are out having fun...then that is at your own risk. If you roll it on the street that is an accident. If you roll it off road that to a cetain extent is a high potential high risk incident that would not normally happen on the road. Just my two cents....
Old 06-17-2008, 10:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I have had Geico for over 10 consecutive years and I can say nothing bad about them at all. I had check IN HAND TWO days after I hit a deer. I had check IN HAND TWO days after my wife backed her Toyota Corolla into my Dodge M37.....did 4500 buck damage, didn't scratch my truck. I was proud. Geico is one of the most customer friendly insurance companies there is on the planet. I can't blame them, or any insurnace company if they don't want to pay out for people being stupid. Thanks for the post though, I may well shop around and see if I can get different coverage that includes offroad.
people being stupid or not... accidents happen... thats why there is insurance in the first place. If people knew that everyone was going to wreck their vehicle... auto insurance would not exist.

Last edited by 07JKX; 06-17-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
JK Super Freak

Exactly. That's why we pay a premium for our 4x4 vehicles, right?
Old 06-17-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

FWIW,

Idiot driver (me) loads upright freezer in 3/4 ton truck, then attempts to back into the garage in said truck to avoid carrying the freezer any further than necessary, Geico paid, no questions asked.

Idiot driver (son) while eyeballing a jeep which was for sale hit a concrete pole with car, Geico paid, no questions.

I have had very good luck with Geico and have been a policy holder of theirs for many many years.

I know that some have had issues, but for MY experience, GEICO has been awesome, and besides, any Gecko who drinks coffee is alright by me.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never had an offroad claim against GEICO, so no knowledge of that, but have had others.

I am no longer, nor will I ever be again, a customer of theirs.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I have never had an offroad claim against GEICO, so no knowledge of that, but have had others.

I am no longer, nor will I ever be again, a customer of theirs.
Just wondering, Why?
Old 06-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Okie4WD
Just wondering, Why?
i have never had an offroad claim against them, but i have had on road nofault, which they screwed me over on bigtime. I got hit by a guy who waas pasing on the right, on the shoulder, in the dirt. I was sitting waiting to make a right out of a parking lot, he t-boned me at about 45mph in the drivers door.

THey refused to do a lot of things, no rental, forever on the claims blah blah blah., to much to list. They lost me, i'll never go back.
Old 06-17-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
i... they screwed me over on bigtime. ...
THey refused to do a lot of things, no rental, ... They lost me, i'll never go back.
Probably a dumb question, but did you buy the rental car option for your policy? If so, what was their excuse for not paying for your rental? If you didn't have that coverage, it would make sense why they didn't get you a car.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
State Farm has been and will likely always be one of the most pathetic insurance companies in the US following Tropical Storm Allision hitting Houston and them backing out of covering homeowners following and dropping people post storm. That aside they have too many other complaints of dropping people after claims. I would have to see in writing where their underwriters state they actually cover offroad damage.

Thanks for posting though, I'm with Geico, not saying I'll drop them but will definitely check out AIG and some others.
If I roll my house State Farm won't cover it, crap! I've had State Farm for quite some time and have been real happy with my agent. I have had claims with them and my rate didn't go up. I did read my policy on off raod use and my JK is covered. That being said, I think some of this shady coverage is based on the agent you deal with.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:46 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by JK Dawg
Probably a dumb question, but did you buy the rental car option for your policy? If so, what was their excuse for not paying for your rental? If you didn't have that coverage, it would make sense why they didn't get you a car.
Oh i had it. that is part of my beef with them. They took forever to doing ANYTHING with my claim. I had to go to work, i HAD to have a car to get there, my truck was dead after getting hit, it took them about 8-10 DAYS to get around to doing ANYTHING with my claim at all. They knew about the accident within an hour of it happening. It wasn't a holiday, or a weekend, the planets weren't misaligned. In the meantime i was borrowing cars, walking, hitchhiking, anything i could do to get to work. They where total assholes about the whole thing, and they where both insurance companies. Mine AND the jackass that ran into me. There was NO confusion or war between insurance companies. They dropped the ball, and refused to pick it up. they eventually got around to "allowing" me to get a rental car. for 5 days 5 DAYS??? it had ALREADY been almost 3 weeks by then, and I didn't get my truck back for 6 WEEKS. so they graciously offered to pay for 5 out of 42?!?!?!

None of that involves the headache they gave me about getting the thing fixed. It was barely above totaled by a few hundred bucks (far less than what they saved by not getting me a rental that I WAS INSURED FOR) and they wouldn't total it out. they insisted on repairing it. It looked pretty when it was done, but it was a complete piece of junk, it was twisted beyond realignment, it ate tires like crazy, wouldn't track right, the transmission bound, the drivers door & window wouldn't operate correctly, and it was getting progressively worse the longer i drove it. etc. etc. etc. I spent a bunch of time getting to "know" Geico in the courts system. They can kiss my ass, i will never recommend the bunch of lying thieving bastards to anyone.

Quick Reply: Geico Insurance Company