Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Geico Insurance Company

Old 06-13-2008, 10:42 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geico Insurance Company

Just for information purposes:

A buddy of mine rolled his jeep.. geico said they would cover it originally and have now backed out.

I called regarding "use" not misuse and off road coverage...

"We do not offer any offroad coverage regardless of the nature of the incident, nor would we be liable for any use or misuse of any insured vehicle taken off of a recognized government highway or road."

That being said, I will be removing my two vehicles from their policy and my friend will be removing his four.

Just wanted to let ya'll know that Geico is NOT off road friendly. State Farm said that use offroad is covered, but deliberate and reckless misuse is not (ie: accident resulting from high rate of speed or reckless drivving)
Old 06-13-2008, 10:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKX
Just for information purposes:

A buddy of mine rolled his jeep.. geico said they would cover it originally and have now backed out.

I called regarding "use" not misuse and off road coverage...

"We do not offer any offroad coverage regardless of the nature of the incident, nor would we be liable for any use or misuse of any insured vehicle taken off of a recognized government highway or road."

That being said, I will be removing my two vehicles from their policy and my friend will be removing his four.

Just wanted to let ya'll know that Geico is NOT off road friendly. State Farm said that use offroad is covered, but deliberate and reckless misuse is not (ie: accident resulting from high rate of speed or reckless drivving)

State Farm has been and will likely always be one of the most pathetic insurance companies in the US following Tropical Storm Allision hitting Houston and them backing out of covering homeowners following and dropping people post storm. That aside they have too many other complaints of dropping people after claims. I would have to see in writing where their underwriters state they actually cover offroad damage.

Thanks for posting though, I'm with Geico, not saying I'll drop them but will definitely check out AIG and some others.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by SASQUATCH
State Farm has been and will likely always be one of the most pathetic insurance companies in the US following Tropical Storm Allision hitting Houston and them backing out of covering homeowners following and dropping people post storm. That aside they have too many other complaints of dropping people after claims. I would have to see in writing where their underwriters state they actually cover offroad damage.

Thanks for posting though, I'm with Geico, not saying I'll drop them but will definitely check out AIG and some others.
definitely... i agree 100%! It pays to do the research... what got under my skin, is I asked them (geico) when i got my policy and they SAID "use" would be covered.

I would definitely get anything regarding this in writing before proceeding with a quote.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If he was in a National or State Forest on a numbeed road, that seems like it was covered.

Geico dropped me several years ago after I bought one of my Jeeps. I had been with them for 9 years. This was about 3 weeks after I called and added it to my policy. They told me they no longer insured Jeeps.

I said okay I would insure it elsewhere and leave the other 3 vehicles with them..... No they cancelled my policy and it cost me three times as much money to insure with another carrier since I was "Cancelled".

I have Teachers Insurance through the University System now for years and have had no problems. As a matter of fact, I just sent them the premium for the Jeep and the wifes Yukon XL for the year. Yea, they do a year at a time.

The same thing happened to my home insurance after the hurricanes in 2004. Farm Bureau didn't renew my insurance and never sent me a notice or reminder. That lasted about 3 days after I called the State Insurance Board and they got a hold of them and a couple of others and told them they could NOT drop anyone in the state for a year...
Old 06-13-2008, 03:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N2rock
Allstate covers off road... As I was told by my agent "full coverage means full coverage... off-roading it is no different than a guy driving to his deer lease. We (allstate) understand it is an off-road vehicle. You pay a bit higher premium because of that. But it is covered in every aspect when you are off road"

And judging by some forum members that have had to file claimes with Allstate, it is apparent that they do in fact cover our rigs.
That may be the case with Allstate, but actually. "full coverage" simply means your insurance covers not only liability, but also comprehensive coverage for the car. underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage, personal injury protection, towing/road service, rental car reimbursement, and gap coverage.
Off-road insurance is normally a specialized policy offered by insurance componies, that rides on your full coverage policy, but costs a little extra.
Not everyone who carries full coverage may have off-road coverage. And not all insurance componies have Off-Road insurance available for their customers, as 07JKX's buddy just found out.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:48 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had Geico for over 10 consecutive years and I can say nothing bad about them at all. I had check IN HAND TWO days after I hit a deer. I had check IN HAND TWO days after my wife backed her Toyota Corolla into my Dodge M37.....did 4500 buck damage, didn't scratch my truck. I was proud. Geico is one of the most customer friendly insurance companies there is on the planet. I can't blame them, or any insurnace company if they don't want to pay out for people being stupid. Thanks for the post though, I may well shop around and see if I can get different coverage that includes offroad.

Last edited by RedneckJeep; 06-13-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:05 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Read It Real Close

Sit down and read the policy closely. See if it says anything about off road exclusions. Believe me, IF it excludes off road operation it WILL state it in the policy. They cannot sell you a full-coverage policy on an off road capable vehicle then deny a claim on the basis of it being off road capable. Thats insurance fraud pure and simple. Call your state insurance bureau and request an investigation. They will read the policy and interperet it properly. At least you will know whether they are on the up and up. My State Farm policy clearly lists exclusions to coverage right in it's own area on the policy, if it's not listed as an excluded usage then it's covered. Verbal answers to insurance inquiries are no good. You might get some idiot answering you thru his own misinterpretations or biases. The company that insures you WILL give you a written answer to any legitimate request regarding your policy. Remember you have a big stick using your state regulatory agencys, use it.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Sit down and read the policy closely. See if it says anything about off road exclusions. Believe me, IF it excludes off road operation it WILL state it in the policy. They cannot sell you a full-coverage policy on an off road capable vehicle then deny a claim on the basis of it being off road capable. Thats insurance fraud pure and simple. Call your state insurance bureau and request an investigation. They will read the policy and interperet it properly. At least you will know whether they are on the up and up. My State Farm policy clearly lists exclusions to coverage right in it's own area on the policy, if it's not listed as an excluded usage then it's covered. Verbal answers to insurance inquiries are no good. You might get some idiot answering you thru his own misinterpretations or biases. The company that insures you WILL give you a written answer to any legitimate request regarding your policy. Remember you have a big stick using your state regulatory agencys, use it.
Well put, and I agree about the verbal stuff. I've heard alot of horror stories from poeple about how their agant told them this, and that, only to find out they were just getting lip service. reading an insurance policy is pretty boring, however it's a must, and if you have any questions have your agent go over the policy with you.
When we purchased our Jk and added it to our policy, the first thing our agent asked was will you be using this vehicle offroad also. Of course we already had coverage on my 94XJ, and the wifes 99XJ, and we had offroad coverage on both those.
Again, that's pretty lame about GEICO doing something like that, but then again I don't know the whole story.
Old 06-13-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just remember with Geico,, they have a policy NOT to insure jeeps that are modified.. They also have this same type policies on several motorcycles if they are customised. If your jeep is lifted I'd recommend another company.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruiser
Just remember with Geico,, they have a policy NOT to insure jeeps that are modified.. They also have this same type policies on several motorcycles if they are customised. If your jeep is lifted I'd recommend another company.
No they don't. They simply want to KNOW about mods so that they can rate the policy accordingly. The reason I have Geico in the first place is because they have one of their main offices in Macon. I know someone personally who is an insurance executive there. I have been down the modded road with them before, and they DO insure modded vehicles, including Jeeps. My best advice is don't believe anything until you get it from the horses mouth.

Quick Reply: Geico Insurance Company