Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Has anyone sued Daimler Chrysler/Jeep? Or will I be the first?

Old 10-10-2008, 12:43 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has anyone sued Daimler Chrysler/Jeep? Or will I be the first?

I am sure many of you have seen the multiple posts I have made about the issues I have had with my Jeep that the dealer cannot seem to fix. Some of you have even been to my website warning others of the issues.

Well, I am fed up. I called a lawyer in Dallas who suggested we sue Chrysler for violating the Magnuson-Moss act or something, and for deceptive trade practices. He said it looked like we have a pretty good case. I am going to let him know Monday if I want to do it or not. I think I do.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of suit against Chrysler? I know some of you have lemon'd your Jeeps. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by bigbluejk; 10-10-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wouldn't sue anyone unless I experienced a lot of damages and needed to get those losses back. You might end up losing more in legal fees than you would lose by simply selling the Jeep. Lawyers can drain you of every dollar you have and they can be an enormous headache. Unless you absolutely need a lawyer, as though your life depended on it, I wouldn't bother.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

And what would you get in damages if you won? Probably no more than the value of the Jeep. All that work when you could just sell it. Chrysler's pockets are deep and your lawyers won't compete with theirs. Even if you won, which you won't, it'd be a huge pain in the ass. Just sell it.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What website?
Old 10-10-2008, 01:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And what issues? This seems like a lost cause if you ask me.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
Well, I am fed up. I called a lawyer in Dallas who suggested we sue Chrysler for violating the Mossey-Ferguson act, and for deceptive trade practices. He said it looked like we have a pretty good case. I am going to let him know Monday if I want to do it or not. I think I do.
Do you mean the Magnusson-Moss act, or is there another one out there that I'm not familiar with?

I forget what it's called, but a lawyer can take the case with no legal fees from you and just from Chrysler if they win. I'd make sure the lawyer was going to go that route; otherwise, I think you'll end up losing more in the long run. However, principle is important as well.

Talk to your lawyer about getting involved. Take advantage of the media as much as you can. Set up a website, contact consumer action groups with your local television news, and do whatever you can to get exposure. I do need to stress to get your lawyers approval on anything and everything you do first.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:28 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by spartan99
I wouldn't sue anyone unless I experienced a lot of damages and needed to get those losses back. You might end up losing more in legal fees than you would lose by simply selling the Jeep. Lawyers can drain you of every dollar you have and they can be an enormous headache. Unless you absolutely need a lawyer, as though your life depended on it, I wouldn't bother.
X2
Old 10-10-2008, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tgrt
Do you mean the Magnusson-Moss act, or is there another one out there that I'm not familiar with?

I forget what it's called, but a lawyer can take the case with no legal fees from you and just from Chrysler if they win. I'd make sure the lawyer was going to go that route; otherwise, I think you'll end up losing more in the long run. However, principle is important as well.

Talk to your lawyer about getting involved. Take advantage of the media as much as you can. Set up a website, contact consumer action groups with your local television news, and do whatever you can to get exposure. I do need to stress to get your lawyers approval on anything and everything you do first.

I believe they call that contingency. I'd not sue unless he is gonna get his money from DC. if u gotta pay him don't sue.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:04 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Go for your life mate...make sure you bring up the fault causing them to catch fire that they wont admit is a design fault and refuse to do a recall...let us know how you go...someone needs to burst their bubble to get the ball rolling....

KSK
Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM
JK Jedi

The lawyer won't get paid unless he wins, and he bills Chrysler for his fees. They are separate from anything I could be awarded. He said he would expect $3-6k which is not much, but what it would do is help cover some of the money I will lose from replacing it. All I would hope to do is trade it in and get one that isn't F'd up and only lose a couple thousand in the end. I have not decided to pursue this but I don't think that lawyer would want to represent me if he did not think he could win. That is how he makes his living. I really don't want to sue anyone, I really just want Chrysler to say "yeah this is a problem, we will fix it" and actually fix it. Instead they say "take it to the dealer for repair" and the dealer says they don't think they can fix it. I think the fire guys need to sue the sh!t out of them. I guess it will take someone getting hurt for that to be resolved.

Anyone that wants my website link PM me. Not sure I can post a link in here. It is under construction, and the first one I ever built so don't be too critical. It looks screwed up on Firefox right now, but I am working on a new one. If anyone would like to contribute problems they have had to it I would appreciate it. It is not a place for bashing the Jeep or Chrysler, just a place to inform consumers what can go wrong with these JKs and what to expect from Jeep corporate if something goes wrong. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Has anyone sued Daimler Chrysler/Jeep? Or will I be the first?