Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental

Old 02-10-2023, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sam james
The length of time a dealer can keep a car for warranty repair without providing a loaner or rental vehicle can vary depending on several factors, such as the severity of the repair needed, the availability of parts, and the dealership's policy. However, it is generally expected that the dealership will make a reasonable effort to repair the vehicle as quickly as possible and minimize any inconvenience to the owner.

In most cases, if a warranty repair is expected to take an extended period of time, the dealership will provide a loaner or rental vehicle to the owner at no cost. This is usually done to ensure that the owner can continue to use their vehicle while the repair is being carried out. However, this may vary by dealership and by the terms of the warranty.

It is always a good idea to discuss the expected duration of the repair with the dealership beforehand and to understand their policy regarding loaner or rental vehicles. This can help you to make an informed decision about whether to proceed with the repair or to seek an alternative solution.
Duration of the repair doesn't really apply with a warranty repair. It needs to be done, and it is the manufacturer's responsibility to see that it is completed in a timely fashion. In this case, since it is a warranty repair, the policy regarding loaner or rental vehicles is also up to Jeep. If the transmission had been in stock, I am sure the dealer would have had it replaced within a week or so. They had the old transmission removed and disassembled within a a couple of days of my bringing the vehicle in. Reassembly would be about the same. There is no reasonable alternative solution.

In this case, since it is a new car warranty, the dealer is restricted to what Jeep is willing to do. According to the dealer, Jeep will usually reimburse the dealership for the cost of a loaner or rental on a warranty repair. In this case, Jeep has refused due to the age of the car. I've currently been without the Jeep for 54 days. Does anyone really think that is a reasonable period of time for a warranty repair without providing alternative transportation? If a manufacturer can't fulfill their warranty obligations in a reasonable period of time and won't compensate the owner for that failure, the warranty is just toilet paper.

Currently there's no ETA on the transmission. It's been almost 2 months already. How long am I supposed to wait? 3 months, 4 months, 6 months, a year, longer?

This will definitely be the last Jeep/Stellantis product I ever buy, and I recommend that anyone else contemplating buying one of their products think twice about it.

Quick Reply: How long can a dealer keep your car for warranty repair without a loaner or rental