Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

That moment when you realize you have bitten by the bug...

Old 02-06-2014, 02:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default That moment when you realize you have bitten by the bug...

Okay so it looks as though I am finally bitten by the mod bug. Sucks. I didn't intend for this to happen but the Jeep has become my adult version of a Lego set.

The drivetrain in my 2008 JKUX is stock, and I want to install electronic or air lockers after not being able to get up a hill last time I went off-roading.

I have searched the site, read online etc and see that Eaton E lockers and Aussie Air lockers seem to be the most highly regarded.

Can I install them on stock JKUX front and rear axles?

Anyone here install them yourself? It looks like a fun job.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

What kind of hill? Just a steep climb or where there rocks involved? Not sure if a locker is going to help you out much on hill climbs.

The Aussie is not an air locker. Your choices in air lockers would be ARB or the Yukon Zip.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 02-06-2014 at 03:33 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 06:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lower gears might help with hills but also make it more enjoyable to drive on road. If there's rock crawling involved, lockers help. I would not suggest a a rear locker unless its selectable (ARB, e-locker, etc). If you're not going to do any hard crawling, you can also consider truetracs. Lots of set up possibilities but should be based on the end goal...not a single situation like one hill.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Never heard of Truetrac until you mentioned it. I looked it up and yes that looks like a great solution. It's doubtful I will ever rock crawl, but I would like the benefits of all tires moving when in mud and loose dirt because there have been times when I needed all four tires to spin. And it's cheaper.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:58 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

I remember the first time my son tried to get up a steep hill in my Jeep. The engine power kept falling off. He was in 4WD high with the ESP still on. Had him turn off ESP and it drove right up it easy-peasey. :ROTFLMAO2:
Old 02-07-2014, 04:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may not think you'll rock crawl, but like the mod bug, once you get a taste of it, and see what your Jeep can do, it becomes addictive just like modding. I would get at least one selectable. I went the truetrac route and although I'm quite pleased with their overall performance, I have also been affected by their limitations. I'm now looking at spending yet again to add a locker.
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Never thought of the ESP thing!!! Damn Mark you are good.

TJM I hear ya.
Old 02-07-2014, 10:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Another reason for selectable lockers is the installation. It looks challenging and fun and in the end, you get extra buttons on your dash board. No buttons on the dash board to remind me of my hard work is a problem I have with the Truetrac. I want those cool buttons damnit.

On all seriousness though I greatly enjoy wrenching alongside my 11 year old son and the lockers look more exciting. Nothing's better than wrenching with my son while listening to a game on the radio and the electrical part of installing selectable lockers adds another dimension to the challenge.

Quick Reply: That moment when you realize you have bitten by the bug...