Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Next-gen Wrangler will keep solid axles

Old 02-15-2015, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Next-gen Wrangler will keep solid axles

Interesting:
"DETROIT -- The next-generation Jeep Wrangler will keep the floating solid axles considered key to the off-roader's ability to traverse nearly any terrain, Automotive News has learned."

http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...ep-solid-axles
Old 02-15-2015, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see the solid axles stay. I hate that the windshield will be fixed. Even though I do not use it often, it is a huge part of the Wrangler heritage.

2014 JK black on black
Old 02-15-2015, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Definitely good news. I can deal with the windshield being fixed, but having a fixed top would be a deal breaker for me.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

With a fixed windshield I would think A-pillar accessories like lights or mirrors would be no longer possible.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
With a fixed windshield I would think A-pillar accessories like lights or mirrors would be no longer possible.
The fixed windshield will only make it more difficult to add lights. Think of the fords with light bars. Owners will likely have to drill into the sheet metal, unless companies come out with a differemt mounting solution.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless they are smart and build it with attachment points like they have now
Old 02-15-2015, 11:01 PM
JK Super Freak

So we retain one aspect of the wrangler? woohoo?? I'm going to be beyond upset if it only comes with a 8 speed automatic. Fixed windshield, sad to hear but I could live with it. I'm curious to see how much more significant the factory rake can get though
Old 02-16-2015, 01:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Turbocharged from the factory? That probably means a huge potential for aftermarket tuners. Me likes.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm planning on a new Jeep in 2020. If it isn't what I'm looking for, I'll pick up a 2017 when the '18's come out. I'm keeping my JK thoiugh. I won't be giving that thing up for a long time, since it has the lifetime powertrain warranty.

I don't mind an 8 or 9 speed auto, as I'm going to go that way with the new one, anyway. I can still row gears on the JK. I also don't mind a turbo engine, if it has plenty of torque right off idle. They are going for fuel efficiency, and they have no choice. I don't mind that either, as long as the Jeep is still functional. I'm betting it will get significantly better mileage. I've read an aluminum body is also in the works.

A fixed top won't be a deal breaker if it can be opened almost as much as it is now. However, if doors are not easily removable, that WILL be a deal breaker.

I'm guessing that they might fuse the roll bar into a fixed top, but make it open up like the Liberty did, except maybe more so. Remember, they have to go ALL OUT for weight savings to meet CAFE standards, while at the same time not screwing up the traditional hallmarks of the Wrangler. That is a tall order.

My next one will almost certainly be a Sport. I love the Rubi, but they've priced it out of my reach, even now. I'll throw a couple lockers in, though, and it will be fine.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Btw, the main reason there's no diesel now was recently given by a Chrysler exec: They currently sell every Jeep they make, easily. He said there's no good business case for it here....yet.

Quick Reply: Next-gen Wrangler will keep solid axles