Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why all the Four Door Jk haters?

Old 03-02-2011, 10:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why all the Four Door Jk haters?

Have a 4 door JK, basic trail obs: longer wheelbase is better at climbing, I lose ground on tight turns. With good skids/lift breakover angle hasn't really been an issue.

I have four boys, to go wheeling I don't have to decide which one to leave home.

Why all the four door haters? What exactly is 'wrong' with the four door?

Had somebody once tell me they are not as fun because it is so much easier to go over obstacles and wheel in

Also told because they are more comfortable on road, not a real jeep
Old 03-02-2011, 10:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jealous because they don't have a 4 door.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:25 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure why anyone would care, TBH. I have a 2 door because I prefer the way it drives. However, now we have kids on the way soon I'm trying to persuade my better half to get a 4 door so we have the best of both worlds but if push comes to shove I'll have to change to a 4 door. Overly vocal purists are kind of annoying in every hobby, worldwide. And why anyone would say that a 4 dr makes wheeling too easy is beyond me but hey ho.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 AM
JK Freak

You have four boys...it's a no-brainer. The only thing people have against the 4 door is tradition. The luxuries of any JK is another matter. The only real reason I can think of not to buy a 4 door is power to weight ratio. Hopefully that will be fixed with the new 275hp motor.

When I was shopping I went back and forth finally picked a two door because I was buying it for basically a huge ATV. I got three kids...leave the wife at home and go .
Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by utahcrawler
... Had somebody once tell me they are not as fun because it is so much easier to go over obstacles and wheel in ...
The four doors open up new possibilities. With the two doors, Land Rovers and Land Cruisers dominated the world of overlanding. The four door Jeep opens this up as a real possibility--one I find a lot more enjoyable than playing in a rock garden. And, yet, I can still take a little time to go play in the rock garden when the mood suits.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

I traded my 06 TJ for the 4 door and I love it. I've got 2 kids and we love hitting the beach as a fam and the 4 door let's us do it all. My first jeep was a 79 CJ-5 so I can say that I've been in a jeep my whole life. I have never felt like less of a "Jeeper" because I'm in a four door.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:20 AM
JK Super Freak

ive had 2 of the 4 door JK's and one of the 2 door JK's now.. I found nothing wrong with the 4 door.. I think honestly there are some people that seem to think their jeep is an extension of their masculinity.. so the idea that a Jeep can be comfortable, or have lots of room or be utilized by a family for on-road adventures is not right....

interesting thing is that Jeep has been making (and people have been wheeling the heck out of) 4 door jeeps for a long time... lest we forget the original grand wagoneers. (that if you are lucky enough to have in good shape are a GOLDMINE now)..

Jeepers never complained about 4 doors on the sought after and beloved XJ's that still bring good money in any condition...

some people just Love to hate....

personally I enjoyed both of my 4 door JK;s.. but found i no longer had a need for the extra space, and I enjoy the tight turning radius of a 2 door. but I wouldnt hesitate in buying a 4 door again if the need arises...

-Christopher
Old 03-03-2011, 02:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I love the 4 door but driving with my buddy yesterday he told me how ugly they were compared to the 2 door. Also, when I am driving and see a girl/woman in a four door I don even bother waving anymore. 2 years and about 1 wave = I give up.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 AM
JK Freak

I've had 3 previous 2 door Wranglers (YJs and a TJ) and at first I thought the 4 door looked, to put it succinctly, stupid. It was ungainly and disproportionate. I thought Chrysler/Jeep was selling out...but over time it grew on me. Then when it came crunch time, I started to think the 2 door looked funny in comparison to the 4 door. I got the 4 door and it is by far and away the best Jeep I've ever owned by a factor of 10. Great build quality, no rattles, squeaks, or thumps. I have no kids, but the "real" rear seat offers plenty of room for friends or my dog to ride. With the 4 door you sacrifice NOTHING and gain much! I am very happy we went with the unlimited! The haters can enjoy their 2 doors and I'll enjoy their envious stares.
Old 03-03-2011, 03:37 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by klutz1001
I love the 4 door but driving with my buddy yesterday he told me how ugly they were compared to the 2 door. Also, when I am driving and see a girl/woman in a four door I don even bother waving anymore. 2 years and about 1 wave = I give up.
Oh hey, that's another story! If you're driving a four door and trying to wave at the ladies there's really no point. They won't see you as they'll be too busy waving at us cute guys in the two doors!

Quick Reply: Why all the Four Door Jk haters?