Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Why buy a Rubi?

Old 09-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MJS_Jeep_888
Fine - make me be an adult, why don't ya?

Bottom line: (being respectful of everyone) A Jeep's a Jeep, and a Sahara or X with a good driver behind the wheel is a capable rig. I'm done.

A Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep.

...except for them 4dr guys... :toung:

Old 09-13-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
A Jeep is a Jeep is a Jeep.

...except for them 4dr guys... :toung:

Right - you get it!
Old 09-13-2007, 11:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by benmar2000
. . .They are called Street Queens...
I have owned Street Queens and Trailer Queens and some beat up rigs. I'm at the point where I probably have as fun more often with a Street Queen because I'm a professional and spend so much time going to work and sometimes work requires getting offroad. The problem with Trailer Queens is then you have to have a tow vehicle which sits in the yard way too much.

The only reason I didn't buy a Rubi is I didn't want to wait 6 months nor pay the dealer a premium due to demand for them.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:09 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, as i have said elsewhere on here. I do want a Rubi, but this is my starter Jeep. It will do everything and more than i will be doing for now. I plan to fiddle with mods on this for a few years to figure out what i want vs. need vs. want.....
you know, that vicious cycle...

Then, when i get it down, i am going to pass this one on or sell it or trade it or whatever, & get a Rubi with the options i pick (and not take what i can get from the lot), which i will then spend the real money on.

Well, i keep telling myself that is the plan anyhow.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MJS_Jeep_888;175669]
Originally Posted by ChopperKrawler

Sorry, but I have to agree with the post that you're responding to... MOST people aren't going to wheel their Jeeps (Rubi or otherwise). I wheel mine, painted fender flares and all, but didn't choose a Rubi because I'd rarely (if ever) need that little extra capability that they offer.

I'd guess that for every 1 Rubicon owner that buys a Rubi to do serious offroading, there are probably 3 or 4 that won't drive on worse that a dirt road. Why? Because the Rubicon is the most expensive JK offered, and therefore has to be the "best" by our materialistic standards... so you WILL have soccer moms and yuppie dads buying Rubicons, simply because "more is better."

Consider this: You have 5K+ members on this site, and the vast majority of those 5000+ members will offroad their Jeeps. I'll give you that, for sure. However, how many JKs were sold in 07? A HELL of a lot more than 5000! How many of THOSE JKs are getting wheeled? Not as many as you'd probably think... this forum caters to those of us who get it, and most of us will wheel. However, our 5000+ members are not an accurate representation of the world at large.

As far as the generalizations pointing to insecurities, I'm not sure where that's coming from... I'm secure and stand by my choice of Jeep - a Rubicon would be overkill for me, and I wheel HARD when I wheel (as a few forum members and my undercarriage can attest to!).

Again, you're missing the point. I didn't say MOST people will wheel there JK's. I was talking about Rubicons. Either way, There is NO way you can prove your statement without going and interviewing every Jeep owner, Rubicon or not, and verifying that they wheel it not. Then the question comes up; What is wheeling? or to what degree of offroading qualifies that person as "Using" their Jeep for 4wd purposes. You're also "guessing" that "1 out of 3 or 4" Rubicon owners take their Jeep down a dirt road. Again thats your own opinion that in no way can be proved. I'm all for an intelligent argument, but generalizations, stereotypes, unpproved opinions, hold no water. You're entitled to your opinion, but thats all it is, YOUR opinion.
Your "theory" on the only people who can afford Rubicons are "soccer moms" and "yuppie dads" also is a generalization. I'm 27 yrs old, not married, no kids, and I can afford a Rubi...I guess I'm an exception to your theory. The two soccer moms in my neighborhood drive 2wd Saharas so that defies your theory too. I have yet to see a soccer mom driving a Rubicon, of course thats referencing the 3 states I have lived in the last year. Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana. I wish everyone could just be happy with their decision without making negative comments about others.

I do partially agree with your statement, a lot of JK's don't get wheeled...thats been established for years as far as Jeeps go...and is overstating the obvious, but to try to constantly put down people who bought a Rubicon for whatever reason is really lame. You thought it was "overkill", good for you, thats your opinion. I'm glad your happy in your decision, just like I'm glad I bought a Rubicon. Why do people constantly have to hijack & start threads about Rubicons never being in 4wd, and mall crawler this and that. Any one of the JK models can be called a mall crawler, depends on whose driving it. Seems like constantly, people who don't have Rubicons, are in some way trying to justify their decision for not buying one, by putting down those people that did choose the Rubi package. There is a 50 year old woman that lives down the street from me and drives an 07 GT500 Mustang. I can make the assumption that she never fully utilizes the 450+ hp engine. I can't prove it, but I guess I should talk bad about her for choosing to buy that car. Thats where I'm coming from.

-Keep Living
Old 09-13-2007, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fine - make me be an adult, why don't ya?

Bottom line: (being respectful of everyone) A Jeep's a Jeep, and a Sahara or X with a good driver behind the wheel is a capable rig. I'm done.

I TOTALLY agree; well said
Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM
JK Junkie

Your "theory" on the only people who can afford Rubicons are "soccer moms" and "yuppie dads" also is a generalization.
Where did I say that soccer moms and yuppie dads are the only ones that can afford Rubicons? I didn't! I said that soccer moms and yuppie dads will be drawn to the Rubicon model because it's the one that costs the most - you know, opting for the most expensive options as a status thing...

I do partially agree with your statement, a lot of JK's don't get wheeled...thats been established for years as far as Jeeps go...and is overstating the obvious, but to try to constantly put down people who bought a Rubicon for whatever reason is really lame. You thought it was "overkill", good for you, thats your opinion. I'm glad your happy in your decision, just like I'm glad I bought a Rubicon.
How am I putting down Rubi owners or Rubis? They're good Jeeps, are more capable than non-Rubi models, and they're also considerably more expensive. I have nothing against Rubi owners, except for those that try to belittle the other Jeeps as "lesser."
Old 09-13-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Freak

Rubicons SUCK!! Just kidding, I just couldnt afford one........the only thing that I would have liked to have is the 4:1 case. The axles I could care less about, especially with the lockers breaking under mild abuse.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

[QUOTE=MJS_Jeep_888;175879]Where did I say that soccer moms and yuppie dads are the only ones that can afford Rubicons? I didn't! I said that soccer moms and yuppie dads will be drawn to the Rubicon model because it's the one that costs the most - you know, opting for the most expensive options as a status thing...QUOTE]

Hey!
Us Soccer Mom's and Yuppie Dads perferr the Sahara. It looks cooler in the Mall lot.

Of couse I'm only speaking for the ones who can't afford the H3.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Where did I say that soccer moms and yuppie dads are the only ones that can afford Rubicons? I didn't! I said that soccer moms and yuppie dads will be drawn to the Rubicon model because it's the one that costs the most - you know, opting for the most expensive options as a status thing...

How am I putting down Rubi owners or Rubis? They're good Jeeps, are more capable than non-Rubi models, and they're also considerably more expensive. I have nothing against Rubi owners, except for those that try to belittle the other Jeeps as "lesser."

Ok, "drawn" to, I stand corrected, but none the less the same argument can be made about hardcore enthusiasts being drawn to the Rubi b/c of its capabilities. Neither of the too can be proved as far as actual numbers. The truth is both scenarios happen but to what frequency will remain a mystery unless Chrysler wants to do a study on what influenced people to buy certain models (price, status, capabilities, or all of the above) and how often they "wheel" them.

Putting down, is grouping Rubis in a class and saying most Rubi's won't see dirt, mall crawling and other similar posts. LIke I said before, none of that can be proved. I think the belittling part is where this all stems from. Any Rubi owner who tries to belittle an X, Sahara, owner or whatever...is also falling into the same trap. Everybody chose what they did for different reasons. I personally think anybody who chose to buy a Jeep is ok in my book, except the people who lower it and put a racing wing on top.

Quick Reply: Why buy a Rubi?