Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Write up on Differential oil change

Old 10-26-2009, 08:36 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Denny2565
Yes, it's labeled Trac Lok and stickers for around $295.
Thanks!
Old 11-08-2009, 05:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody know what they actually do at the dealership for the Differential Service?

Is it just the fluid change, or do they remove cover/clean/re-RTV? Mine quoted $190 for the service.

Thanks,
D
Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Changed Oil, T-Case, and both Diffs today myself in about 2 hours for the scheduled 15K service. Added the T-case just for safe measure, not scheduled until 30K. First time I've ever done any of them. Piece of cake with the Project-JK write-ups, thanks.

Diff fluid was rather dark, needed to be changed for sure. Some metal sludge, almost like anti-seize on the magnetic drain plug. Wondering if I had water get in at some point. The front only took just over a quart, and the rear just over 2 though, less than the write-up said.

T-case fluid looked like new.

Mobil 1 5W-20 Oil, 75W-90 Gear Oil, used the Mopar ATF+4 Trans Fluid and Oil Filter.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeepin_D
Changed Oil, T-Case, and both Diffs today myself in about 2 hours for the scheduled 15K service. Added the T-case just for safe measure, not scheduled until 30K. First time I've ever done any of them. Piece of cake with the Project-JK write-ups, thanks.

Diff fluid was rather dark, needed to be changed for sure. Some metal sludge, almost like anti-seize on the magnetic drain plug. Wondering if I had water get in at some point. The front only took just over a quart, and the rear just over 2 though, less than the write-up said.

T-case fluid looked like new.

Mobil 1 5W-20 Oil, 75W-90 Gear Oil, used the Mopar ATF+4 Trans Fluid and Oil Filter.
The transfer case is at 15K?
Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

The T-case isn't on the 'Schedule B Maintenance' - suggested here in VT - until 30K.

Since I just went on a 4 day Jeep, 330+ mile trip with significant time in 4LO, figured I'd go ahead and do it early at 15K. It was only around $20 in ATF+4 Fluid and a half hour of my time. Worth it just for learning and piece of mind.

Quick Reply: Write up on Differential oil change