Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mexico/ Cabo

Old 04-09-2011, 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive been down to baja fishing a whole bunch, and NEVER had any problems. I go down every summer for at least 2 weeks pulling my boat incident free. Im not saying nothing could happen, you just have to be smart. Their are places here in LA that you would not go to at night, well same in baja. Some people out their will not even go to a dodger game anymore, because of what happened to that guy. Dam near got beat to death wright at the stadium.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Monday, April 4

In Tijuana, two men were killed as they waited in line to cross the San Ysidro border crossing into the United States. Kevin Romero, 28, and Sergio Salcido, 25, were in their vehicle when a gunman approached their car and shot them both dead with a 9 mm handgun.

Total Body Count for the Week: 97
Total Body Count for the Year: 1,864
Total Body Count for 2010: 15,273
Total Body Count for 2009: (approx.) 9,600
Total Body Count for 2008 (approx.): 5,400
Total Body Count for 2007 (approx): 4,300

So yea, it’s getting worse but maybe 2010 was the peak?

Most people who travel to Mexico have a great time and don't encounter any problems. I‘ve crossed the San Ysidro border over 50 times with ZERO issues. But I work for the Department of Defense and have received orders that all non-official travel to Mexico is prohibited. So I’m out…
There is a fine line between being paranoid, cautious, and a rebel. Only you know if you’re comfortable in any situation. If you are, go for it. If not, go to Johnson Valley.
If you go:
Just limit your alcohol intake so you are always aware of your surroundings, don’t carry too much cash or wear flashy jewelry, and if you have to use an ATM do so during the day. Kind of the same rules when going anywhere you’re unfamiliar with.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

awesome. looks so much fun
Old 01-29-2013, 09:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i did the trip...

Hey guys...i did the trip on july last year it was awesome. Now about safety...i live in Rosarito about 20 minutes from the border with the US and drive daily to my job in downtown san diego i have never been mugged, carjacked or anything i know there are some inocent victims but after years of living here i can tell if you are not associated with gangs, drug dealers or something weird like that there's a very little chance something will happen of course don't be al flashy with fancy jewelry or anything like that.. now going back to the main topic.. there are a lot of little beach areas about 3 hours before getting to cabo where i recomend you stay, santispac is one of the nicest ones excelent snorkeling... there are no hotels its all camping..1 hour ahead there's a town called loreto bay we stayed a couple days in a hotel called "inn at loreto bay" the hotel was very nice...since we liked it so much we are planning on doing it again sometime this year..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03839.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	415782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03756.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	415785   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03833.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	415786  

Last edited by luisslaraa; 01-29-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have made this trip many times just travel smart and get insurance from a underwriter in Mexico.You would never travel thru areas of Chicago or L.A. in the middle of the night just do the same.I use bajagpsguide. If you haven't gone before try a short trip first maybe to Gonzaga Bay or Coco's corner have fun and travel with others.

Quick Reply: Mexico/ Cabo