Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

Mexico/ Cabo

Old 03-09-2011, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mexico/ Cabo

Has anyone on here made the trip from So-Cal all the way down to Cabo San Lucas? Or even part of the way? Looking for info on the best route, best stops, best safety tips, best wheeling, etc.
Also, is there anyone out there interested in making this trip?
I may be heading down there very soon and it seems like this would make for an awesome trip for a bigger group.
This would almost be the same route as the Baja 1000, but not as extreme or as fast, of course.
If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details and reason for the trip.
Thanks in advance!!
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump for the morning crowd!

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions?
Old 03-10-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look out for banditos!
Old 03-10-2011, 07:21 AM
JK Super Freak

I've made the trip to La Paz \ Cabo during the years the Baja 1000 goes down there

The Baja peninsula is very beautiful and there are so many places to see and experience. Of course the food and beer are equally as good

I've been on both highways, the coastal route (H1) is much faster to Cabo. The eastern route is still pretty rough, you need a kidney belt

However, It's kinda dangerous now
I won't even go to San Felipe for the SCORE Off-Road race (SF250) this weekend and this is my FAVORITE race
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Enclocal
I've made the trip to La Paz \ Cabo during the years the Baja 1000 goes down there

The Baja peninsula is very beautiful and there are so many places to see and experience. Of course the food and beer are equally as good

I've been on both highways, the coastal route (H1) is much faster to Cabo. The eastern route is still pretty rough, you need a kidney belt

However, It's kinda dangerous now
I won't even go to San Felipe for the SCORE Off-Road race (SF250) this weekend and this is my FAVORITE race
That is the only thing holding me back from committing to this trip. So much bad stuff going on down there. Just didn't know how bad it was on the peninsula. I know the borders are bad but I was hoping once you get past the border it would be better. I guess hoping it is safe wouldn't stand up to the bandidos!
Old 03-10-2011, 08:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by dr.gonzo
That is the only thing holding me back from committing to this trip. So much bad stuff going on down there. Just didn't know how bad it was on the peninsula. I know the borders are bad but I was hoping once you get past the border it would be better. I guess hoping it is safe wouldn't stand up to the bandidos!
We don't need no stinking badges
Old 03-14-2011, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Nothing would get me to take my rig down there just so some @#3 hole could steal it. I had a nice house on the beach just south of ensenada by 2 hours, it was very cool but over the years became more and more of a pain in the butt... ended up selling (frankly giving it away) after my friend was bringing back a race car from the 1000 race he and his wife were hijacked between ensenada and tj she was raped the car (MCMILLANS CAR) was stolen and a gun put to his head... Pretty much I said f it not going there again!!

Such a shame there are so many nice people that would love to have our travelling dollars, but the crooked knuckle heads ruin it for all. I'd think twice before you go, especially if you have a nice jeep!

Look north, west ...but not south!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:15 AM
JK Newbie

I used to go down at least twice a month. Mother in law robbed by banditos on the beach. That was before everything got real bad down there. I will never go back, it's not worth the risk. Especially off the beatern path. Trust me, you are putting not only your belongings at risk, but your life also. too bad, because I used to go duck hunting on the rio hardy river, actually had a place their, it was great. Think about making this trip long and hard, before you go. Well that's my 2 cents anyway.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Check out bajanomad.com You will find info on that site. When do you plan on making this trip? Fishing is also good if you like to fish.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:44 PM
JK Jedi

Best Safety Tip: Don't Go

Quick Reply: Mexico/ Cabo