Notices
JK Trails & Tales Just get back from a recent trail run and/or camping trip with your Jeep JK Wrangler? If so, you know we want to hear all about where you went, who all came along and of course, see all the pics you can post.

North Dallas Tails

Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Dallas Tails

Anyone know of any good North Dallas/Fort Worth off-road trails? I want to break the new 2012 JKU in this weekend!

Note: I can't go to big yet, my rock rails are on order and no lift yet.

Thanks

Ryan
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, and by "Tails" i mean "Trails"
Old 03-09-2012, 12:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anything and everything in Texas is fenced off. Bridgeport OHV park in Bridgeport, TX and Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Gilmer, TX are your best bets. Both have trails you can do stock, but I found the maps and markers at both confusing and you can end up on a tough trail by accident (just turn around if you do). Best to go with a group of people with stock Jeeps - maybe a local club event.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the heads up. I'm actually new to the Dallas area so I'm just getting to know my way around and wanted to go seek an adventure.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamesWyatt
Anything and everything in Texas is fenced off. Bridgeport OHV park in Bridgeport, TX and Barnwell Mountain Recreational Area in Gilmer, TX are your best bets. Both have trails you can do stock, but I found the maps and markers at both confusing and you can end up on a tough trail by accident (just turn around if you do). Best to go with a group of people with stock Jeeps - maybe a local club event.
There's always Big Bend. We're doing a run in October. 100+ miles of wheeling. None of it's too intense, but a few spots will get your attention. PM me if you're interested.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:11 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Colorblindspy
Oh, and by "Tails" i mean "Trails"
LOL, I am glad you clarified that, I was going to say the Lodge, for some nice Dallas tail.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK-Tex

There's always Big Bend. We're doing a run in October. 100+ miles of wheeling. None of it's too intense, but a few spots will get your attention. PM me if you're interested.
I did Black Gap Road back in '94... 114 degree heat in July. There were a few "crap where'd the trail go?" and "how could you do this (pin striping) to our new 4Runner?" and "are we about to roll over into the side of the mountain?" and "you should have told me to pack a sports bra" moments. Fun though. Def would want to go in a group these days with the border situation being what it is. Thanks for the heads-up.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Barnwell Mountain in Gilmer is awesome. I like going there. I just need to go back down some of the trails the wrong way to get matching penstriping.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:54 PM
JK Freak

Amarillo is a 6 hour drive from Dallas. There is the Canadian River and Palo Duro Canyon, I think some others. I played on the Canadian River on my way to Colorado, good times!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Colorblindspy
Anyone know of any good North Dallas/Fort Worth off-road trails? I want to break the new 2012 JKU in this weekend!

Note: I can't go to big yet, my rock rails are on order and no lift yet.

Thanks

Ryan
Let me know when and where your headed out to the "trail". I'm also interested in checking out some of the local (North Texas) trails.

I took the family To Big Bend about 8 weeks ago. We drove the River Road and took several day hikes in the Chisos Basin. Beautiful country. Highly recommend.

Quick Reply: North Dallas Tails