Notices
JK Wheels and Tires For all questions and answers concerning Wheels and Tires for Jeep JKs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 wheel tire rotation

Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flyfish29
So why does it need to be different for two vs rear or four wheel drive? Because the only thing I can deduce from comparing both diagrams is that when a tire is moved from an axle which provides the power it goes to a side of the car in which the tire rolls in the same direction as it did. But eventually all rotate diff directions. Puzzled why it matters...
That is for Front wheel drive on the left....spare always goes to right rear, most weight pushing...
Old 02-19-2013, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 223"][/TD]
[TD="width: 668"][TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 668"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 2, align: left"]U.S. [/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000000, align: left"][/TD]
[TD="align: center"][/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000000, align: center"][/TD]
[TD="align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: head, align: right"]Truck & Bus Tires
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 862, align: left"]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #999999"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD][TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD="width: 265, align: left"]

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: menu"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #CCCCCC"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]

[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #CCCCCC"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #ffffff"][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[/TD]
[TD="width: 625"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 1, bgcolor: #999999, align: left"] [/TD]
[TD="width: 596, align: left"] [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="align: right"][TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="width: 54%, align: left"]
<< Do you have a question?

[/TD]
[TD="width: 46%, align: right"]The Doctor's Archives
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: Vgrey9_12_bold, align: right"] Inflation . Tire Application . Tire Facts . Tire Maintenance
Tire Performance . Tire Specs . Tire Wear . Unidirectional Treads[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="align: left"][HR][/HR] [TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: GBlack_15, colspan: 2"]Dear Tire Doctor,
Are there any problems associated with running unidirectional steer tires with one going the right direction and the other going in the wrong direction?
Thank you, James
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: GBlack_15, width: 30%"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: GBlack_15, width: 70%"]Dear James,
Thank you for this opportunity to be of assistance.
When dealing with medium truck tires:
Uni-directional tread designs are used primarily to maximize irregular wear resistance when the tires are at their maximum, or close to maximum, tread depths.
Although there may be some very slight differences in wet pavement traction, the only noticeable drawback to running one tire in the indicated direction of rotation, and the other tire in the opposite direction, is that when a uni-directional tire is run "backwards" early in its life it will be more susceptible to the development of irregular wear patterns.
Once the tires reach a remaining tread depth of 13/32nds or less, in order to simplify steer tire rotation, it is acceptable to run the tires in the opposite direction from that indicated on the sidewall, (however it is recommended that both tires run the same direction.) This is because the tire is less susceptible to irregular wear as it wears to shallower tread depths.
Please keep in mind that this applies only to medium truck tires.
Passenger and high performance light truck tires often have far more aggressive uni-directional tread designs than do medium truck tires, and thus running in a mixed or opposite direction of rotation may result in very discernible traction and/or handling issues as well.
Best regards, Tire Doctor

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having read through this thread I am a little confused...

Have we concluded that uni-directional tires should not be cross rotated because they will wear unevenly?
Does "uni-directional" refer to "Radial" tires?

--

I have BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain LT255/75R17, so I have radial tires; how should I rotate my spare on?

I was thinking of putting the spare on the rear right, moving the right rear up to the front right, and put the front right on the spare.

Feedback?
Old 03-13-2013, 04:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have Nitto's on mine and do the 5 tire rotation. No issues.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2746058093.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	433357  
Old 03-13-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm on my 3rd Jeep and have always used the 5 tire rotation,with no issues.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Guys... It's in the owners manual.

It's not that hard. If you can play pacman on an old arcade game, you can figure it out
Old 03-13-2013, 08:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by omjee
I have unidirectional tires and was wondering how a 5 tire rotation can be done short of remounting tires.. Or what other method do people do with unidirectionals?

Thanks!
Directional tires should not be rotated using a cross pattern without remounting. Rotating front to rear is okay if the F/R sizes and wheel offsets are the same and on a Jeep they will be.(I hope) Directional treads are designed to channel water mud etc when rolling forward not backward but shouldn't be confused with asymmetrical which is not directional explained in a minute.

Originally Posted by PeacefulWarrior
Having read through this thread I am a little confused...

Have we concluded that uni-directional tires should not be cross rotated because they will wear unevenly?
Does "uni-directional" refer to "Radial" tires?

--

I have BF Goodrich Mud-Terrain LT255/75R17, so I have radial tires; how should I rotate my spare on?

I was thinking of putting the spare on the rear right, moving the right rear up to the front right, and put the front right on the spare.

Feedback?
Rotate your BFG MTs in the recommended standard pattern since they are not directional.

Directional tread will wear evenly rotated in a cross pattern but performance will be substandard possibly to the point of being dangerous under certain circumstances ie a rain tire at 100mph in the rain sucking water to the center of the tread rather than pushing it to the edge. Directional does not mean radial it means the tire has a specified rolling direction noted on the sidewall due to tread pattern.

Asymmetrical tread is different but not directional. It just means that the tread is not the same left to right when viewed from the top. Rotational direction does not matter on these and can go either right or left and once mounted can be rotated as regular tires.

Last edited by Suspector X; 03-13-2013 at 08:18 AM. Reason: poor spelling lol

Quick Reply: 5 wheel tire rotation