Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Kargo master install

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling

can someone tell me if there is any drilling involved? i read there is no drilling in the body, but what about the bumper? the pics on quadratec say additional drilling required. where is this drilling? the instructions don't mention anything about drilling and it looks like it's just a bracket that attaches to the frame.
Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKsJK
can someone tell me if there is any drilling involved? i read there is no drilling in the body, but what about the bumper? the pics on quadratec say additional drilling required. where is this drilling? the instructions don't mention anything about drilling and it looks like it's just a bracket that attaches to the frame.
No drilling, all bolt-on.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seir
No drilling, all bolt-on.
thanks. would you think there would be any problem if someone had an other-than-stock rear bumper? is the bolt on bracket adjustable?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JKsJK
thanks. would you think there would be any problem if someone had an other-than-stock rear bumper? is the bolt on bracket adjustable?
Might be a problem, the brackets have a little "give" in them as far as vertical attachment to the frame but not much.

This is a link to the install PDF from KM so you get a better idea; might want to shoot them an email and ask about your specifics..

JK Congo Cage Mounting
Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seir
Might be a problem, the brackets have a little "give" in them as far as vertical attachment to the frame but not much.

This is a link to the install PDF from KM so you get a better idea; might want to shoot them an email and ask about your specifics..

JK Congo Cage Mounting
thanks. i'm going to call them and see if they would be willing to send me the mounting bracket, just to see if it will fit before ordering the whole kit.

otherwise, you've been happy with it? in reading through the thread there have been problems, but it seems like they have or are trying to remedy them.

one last question - about how far above your top does the rack sit - i'm trying to determine if i'll have a problem clearing the garage. it doesn't look much more than 6-7 inches at the highest point, but i can't really tell from the pics.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes, I do like the rack system but it has had it's issues. All I can say is be extra sure to seal the bars...still have rust stains on my soft top

I have a very low garage ceiling, so height was a concern too. I think the cage itself adds around 3" and the rack adds another 7" so almost 10" total. Most of the summer, I've left the cage on and the rack off as it's very easy to put onto the cage when I needed it. I did replace the hex nuts with thumb screws to speed up the process
Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Those with the cages, do you know if there is enough support in the rear of the cage if you don't have a full length rear bumper? I'm liking the cages no drilling, but unforunately my rear is a mid-width and it looks like the bottom of the bar in the back will have nothing to rest on.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

perfect. thank you. i plan on taking the rack off when not in use, but would want to leave the cage on. with my lift i have just around 6 inches before i hit the door, so i think this should work out. i appreciate the help.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ranwitscissorz
Those with the cages, do you know if there is enough support in the rear of the cage if you don't have a full length rear bumper? I'm liking the cages no drilling, but unforunately my rear is a mid-width and it looks like the bottom of the bar in the back will have nothing to rest on.
The bracket in back actually snakes between the bumper and side of the Jeep and attaches to the frame, it never actually touches the bumper let along sit on top of it.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Default strong enough?

I was looking at getting the ARB rooftop tent and i was wondering, to those who have the Kargo Master installed, do you think its sturdy enough to mount the tent that have 2 people in the tent? I know they rate it at 500lbs, but im looking for opinions

also, not to hijack the thread, but does anyone have the ARB roof top tent or any type of roof top tent set up, if so, how do you like them....

Quick Reply: Kargo master install