Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)

Old 07-05-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did this today and was amazed at the difference. I am a newbie and love to hear "how to's" like these. Thanks again.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

For what it's worth, I don't think you really need to disconnect both sides of the sway bar... one side will do the trick. Relieving the tension between the two side is accomplished when you disconnect one link. It takes half the time, and you should be able to tie the link directly to the sway bar on the disconnected side. Because it's still attached on one side, the sway bar will stay out of the way during articulation of the axle. Having said this, that's how I used to do it on my YJ before I removed the bar completely (made for "interesting" street manners), but I have not tried this yet on my JK.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Roxster
For what it's worth, I don't think you really need to disconnect both sides of the sway bar... one side will do the trick. Relieving the tension between the two side is accomplished when you disconnect one link. It takes half the time, and you should be able to tie the link directly to the sway bar on the disconnected side. Because it's still attached on one side, the sway bar will stay out of the way during articulation of the axle. Having said this, that's how I used to do it on my YJ before I removed the bar completely (made for "interesting" street manners), but I have not tried this yet on my JK.
I don't get it....the side that is disconnected would drop like it should, but the side still connected would drop and bring the other end of the sway bar down with it which might get in the way of the tire and cause a puncture, right?

Also, would the side still connected stuff up into the wheelwell like it would if it were disconnected?

To me it just seems easier and safer to get some quick discos for $99 and be done with it.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:44 PM
JK Freak

can u just unbolt the bottoms and zip tie the links to the bar then zip tie to the side like in the pic
Old 08-02-2008, 06:34 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-KJ

Originally Posted by Roxster

I don't get it....the side that is disconnected would drop like it should, but the side still connected would drop and bring the other end of the sway bar down with it which might get in the way of the tire and cause a puncture, right?

Also, would the side still connected stuff up into the wheelwell like it would if it were disconnected?

To me it just seems easier and safer to get some quick discos for $99 and be done with it.

I personally wouldn't want to try that, i would hate to guess what would mechanically interfere. the cost of a tire would spur me to take the extra few minutes to yank them both off.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:52 AM
JK Freak

DITTO, Takes all of a couple of min to reconnect the Teraflex. Well worth click. IMO

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 03-17-2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: removed quoted text
Old 08-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhino64
DITTO, Takes all of a couple of min to reconnect the Teraflex. Well worth click. IMO

I happen to be running the JKS quicker discos, well worth the money for the ease. Pop two pins out of each one, pull them off, zip tie the bar and your good to go.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Is it less "Fun" when you disconnect? I like to feel the ground and the way the JK crawls over rocks.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by charlope
Is it less "Fun" when you disconnect? I like to feel the ground and the way the JK crawls over rocks.
not to me...if anything it's more fun. it rides a hell of a lot better too.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Much better disconnected & aired down.

Here's a write-up I just put together on what to do with your disconnected sway bar.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...304#post866304

Quick Reply: Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)