Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Marker light mod

Old 03-11-2009, 11:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so, to get everything straight.

1) cut the BLACK wire from the fender light
2) splice it with the white, outer most wire from the black wire.
3) do NOT cut the white wire, just twine the black (fender light) with the white.
4) cover it up.

basically a 2 step process? can't be that easy... gonna go try it

btw, can i just splice it, and use electrical tape to cover it up?

Last edited by asuperhero; 03-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

An important consideration when doing this mod - apparently the blue scotch locks used for this mod are not waterproof, which can lead to the wires they are connecting to become corrode. It has been recommended to me that using a "hydralink" style butt connector to join the wires instead is a much better approach. One source for this type of connector: ht tp:// store.anchormarina.com/anchor/details.php?ITEM=3309203

I've picked some up, and I'm replacing the scotch locks with them tomorrow. I think everything should tuck nicely back into the looming better with these anyway!

It will be interesting to see the condition of the wires after I remove the 3M quick connects - hopefully no moisture has gotten in there yet - I did this mod end of last October
Old 03-14-2009, 02:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by asuperhero
so, to get everything straight.

1) cut the BLACK wire from the fender light
2) splice it with the white, outer most wire from the black wire.
3) do NOT cut the white wire, just twine the black (fender light) with the white.
4) cover it up.

basically a 2 step process? can't be that easy... gonna go try it
A buddy of mine was completing the marker light mod and got into alittle trouble today. I'm thinking the diagram below may be helpful. Hopefully Mr. Stern won't mind me using his basic drawing as the starting point.

http://home.comcast.net/~kingslea1/Jeep/Marker.pdf

Last edited by redrunner; 03-14-2009 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-21-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Freak

I completed this mod today and it works great. Got a little nervous when one of the sides didn't work, but realized that the splice didn't go all the way through the white wire. I had to remove and do-over but it works great.

I think the hardest part was getting my hands into the small space. Good luck with it!
Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default ???

do the side marker lights blink at the same time as the turn signal? or do they alternate? If they don't alternate is there a way to make them do so? just a quest.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

Here is my scenario:

Lights on - blinker alternates
Lights off - blinker at the same time
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine Friday night--best mod for free!

The actual process took me about 10 minutes on each side, but I spent about an hour total putting new wire lume and making it look factory.

I decided to solder my wires vs. using a plastic splicer thingy.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
Did mine Friday night--best mod for free!

The actual process took me about 10 minutes on each side, but I spent about an hour total putting new wire lume and making it look factory.

I decided to solder my wires vs. using a plastic splicer thingy.
Did this today myself. Like Rubicon John took about an hour. Most the time doing finish work to make sure it is 'factory like' and assure that it's waterproof and looks like it should be there so to not give any dealer an excuse to deny any work on the electrical system under warranty.

Great mod! Safety First
Old 03-23-2009, 01:16 PM
JK Super Freak

just finished, at first the sides would alternate with the fronts but now the side blink the same time as the fronts, i kinda liked the other way better but oh well.

any one else have the lightning bolt come on. it doesn't do it anymore, but i thought that was strange.

oh well great free mod!!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just did this mod today and it works great! Just some advice for those wanting to do this, it is easier to trace the outside white wire to tap into on the front turn signals from the plug then just pulling apart the loom in the middle and guessing which wire since the stripes are so similar. I just cut the tape on the loom and pulled out the outside wire, this way I knew it was the right wire, then retaped the loom when I was done.

Quick Reply: Marker light mod