Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door

Old 05-29-2009, 09:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door

First of all, the packaging was sturdy, (86 lbs) FedEx guy now hates me...

But even though they packaged the deck really well, the passenger's side corner was a little bent. Nothing a pair of vise grips and a rag couldn't fix!

For some odd reason, the instructions say to install the rubber seals, but mine were on the decklid already.

First step, installing the rubber bushing, large washer, small washer, and hex bolt on all four corners in the large top decklid...

Next step, putting on the 6 rubber seals:(Just press 'em on)

Then, install the two side trays with the little silver bolts, nuts, washers... on the outside of the panels...

Now, remove the rear door alignment guide and shim.. (the black piece with the two bolts)

Remove the two outer rear seat nuts...

Remove the three subwoofer plastic nuts...

Now, at the base of the rollbar on the driver's side, cut away a small piece of the carpet to expose the hex shaped hole...

Now, stick a rubber nut-sert into that hex shaped hole...

Time to install the driver's side piece... Place the driver's side piece on the rear seat bolt, and line it up with the rear door alignment guide...

Reinstall the rear alignment guide, shim, Tuffy piece, black piece, bolts:

Install a small bolt and washer in the rubber grommet at the base of the rollbar...

Reinstall the driver's side rear seat nut...

Now you are done with the driver's side piece...

On to the passenger's side... move the subwoofer slightly out of the way. Put the Tuffy piece on the subwoofer bolts and rear seat bolt. Put the subwoofer back on top of the Tuffy piece tabs...

Reinstall the three plastic subwoofer nuts and the rear passenger's side seat nut...

Now grab the front piece that goes against the seatbacks and the four thumbscrews... screw in the four thumb screws....

Almost done....

Slide the decklid into the grooves and lock it in place....

DONE!!!

Last edited by armycop; 05-31-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have got to get one of those thanks for the great pics and write up.
I did notice that all of your attachment points around the rear gate latch pin alignment seat mounting points etc.. that the carpet is cut further back than mine. Mine is actually underneath the edges of these things. did you cut the carpet more for easier removal or was that the way your JK came?
sorry for the sort of hijack but was curious.
I need to save my pennies and get this. I don't always like haveing to strap every little item in the back and am really concerned for the safety of the kids from flying objects.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Dirk Pitt
I have got to get one of those thanks for the great pics and write up.
I did notice that all of your attachment points around the rear gate latch pin alignment seat mounting points etc.. that the carpet is cut further back than mine. Mine is actually underneath the edges of these things. did you cut the carpet more for easier removal or was that the way your JK came?
sorry for the sort of hijack but was curious.
I need to save my pennies and get this. I don't always like haveing to strap every little item in the back and am really concerned for the safety of the kids from flying objects.

The only place I cut the carpet was around the base of the rollbar on the passenger's side.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice... maybe that would stop stuff from flying out on the freeway with no doors or top on
Old 05-30-2009, 03:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

armycop - Great job, excellent detail and awesome pics!!! Thanks!

I am considering this as well and have a couple of questions- hope you don't mind.

1) I installed a Tuffy Security Insert into my console and found quite a few "fit and finish" issues with mine and spent well over an hour trimming plastic, exchanging screws and making the insert fit. Overall, I am happy with my insert, but the quality control from Tuffy made the install much tougher than necessary - - - Any such issues with your install? It looks like it went very well.

2) How hard/easy is the top to get on and off in the event you need more cargo space?

3) Any change in subwoofer performance with it being enclosed in a metal box?

4) I love the recessed tray on top, but curious if there are any anchor points to aid in restraining any small cargo on top.

Thanks again for the great post!
Old 05-30-2009, 05:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write-up. Between yours and Robars, I am biting my nails, waiting for them to deliver mine on Monday....
Old 05-30-2009, 05:45 AM
JK Jedi Master

Great write-up Armycop. Seems like we took almost the same pics only you have yellow stuff in your pics and I don't.
Old 05-30-2009, 06:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write-up looks good and all of JeepDawg's concerns x2 on my end on the carpet cutting and all ?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:43 AM
JK Jedi

Awesome write-up-- looks good! Are those tabs that stick out raised at all? As in, would they keep you from easily sliding a box in and out on the side, or would something easily slide over them?
Old 05-30-2009, 06:49 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
armycop - Great job, excellent detail and awesome pics!!! Thanks!

I am considering this as well and have a couple of questions- hope you don't mind.

1) I installed a Tuffy Security Insert into my console and found quite a few "fit and finish" issues with mine and spent well over an hour trimming plastic, exchanging screws and making the insert fit. Overall, I am happy with my insert, but the quality control from Tuffy made the install much tougher than necessary - - - Any such issues with your install? It looks like it went very well.

2) How hard/easy is the top to get on and off in the event you need more cargo space?

3) Any change in subwoofer performance with it being enclosed in a metal box?

4) I love the recessed tray on top, but curious if there are any anchor points to aid in restraining any small cargo on top.

Thanks again for the great post!
I didn't really have any fit & finish issues and only some minor tweaking due to a small bend during shipping.
The top is easily removed in just a couple minutes.
There are no anchor points on top of the deck, but I believe Tuffy offers some Tie Down rails that could be attached or you could add some small D ring tie down points like this.
Originally Posted by Easyryder01
Nice write-up looks good and all of JeepDawg's concerns x2 on my end on the carpet cutting and all ?
There is only a little carpet trimming and you could most likely just cut a slit in that is what you wanted.

Quick Reply: Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door