Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door

Old 06-02-2009, 01:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doojer
One of the rubber pieces that go over the screw holes on the deck part ripped already... I'm wondering if I did something wrong? The piece of stripping there is under the place where it slides-- but I think it ripped by making contact with the top part of the retainer? Anyways, I might need to order some extra ones.

On a side note, for the 4-door, if you fold the rear seats flat and sit back there, the deck makes a great table to eat on or use your laptop-- I'm posting from there right now.
Both of my rear ones are already torn and I have only taken the top off twice.

Looking at how it is put together, I really don't understand whey they are there in the first place.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they are there to keep the deck from rattling. they work too... because the side that ripped is rattling now.

maybe tuffy can recommend a good fix.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:01 PM
JK Jedi

they are there to keep the deck from rattling. they work too... because the side that ripped is rattling now.

I was going to wrap mine with electrical tape. The one on the passenger's side in the front ripped on mine. But some type of polymer or brass sleeve would work better...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi

electrical tape is a good idea. that's probably what i'll do.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:37 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Are you talking about the plastic tubing that goes over the welded on pieces at each corner of the deck where the large washers get bolted on? If so that is 1/2" tubing that we just cut down to length and slip on to prevent metal to metal contact and thus rattling. The tubing can be picked up at any hardware store or it is easy for me to send more out but I am curious as to why they are tearing. We have been demonstrating our deck hundreds of times at shows and the tubing is still in perfect shape. Does it look like it is catching on something or is it rubbing through?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tuffy2
Are you talking about the plastic tubing that goes over the welded on pieces at each corner of the deck where the large washers get bolted on? If so that is 1/2" tubing that we just cut down to length and slip on to prevent metal to metal contact and thus rattling. The tubing can be picked up at any hardware store or it is easy for me to send more out but I am curious as to why they are tearing. We have been demonstrating our deck hundreds of times at shows and the tubing is still in perfect shape. Does it look like it is catching on something or is it rubbing through?
Mine ripped because it was slightly pinched where the decklid was bent a little. I have to remove it when I get my weatherstripping and re-align that corner to move more smoothly...
Old 06-02-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by tuffy2
Yeah, that's the part. Thanks for the info re: tubing, I'll pick some up. It looks like it was torn by making contact with the upper part of the retainer when it slides in and out. I will try to take some pics if I can get my hands on a working camera....
Old 06-02-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

the tubing on mine is ripped too. It rattled a bit when out driving today, will wrap with tape or maybe some tough plastic tubing.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by omni2377
the tubing on mine is ripped too. It rattled a bit when out driving today, will wrap with tape or maybe some tough plastic tubing.
I think I am going to take a drive down to the local Mom&Pop hardware store. They have a section that is nothing but various size rubber tubing. Get some good quality, heavy tubing to slide over them.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:43 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by Preacher
I think I am going to take a drive down to the local Mom&Pop hardware store. They have a section that is nothing but various size rubber tubing. Get some good quality, heavy tubing to slide over them.

I was messing with this today and see that the tubing we have on the prototype in my JK is actually a semi-hard (still flexible), clear plastic tubing that we picked up at a local shop to test out. It seems that the neoprene tubing we used in the production models has a tendency to be more sticky when sliding the top in and out. I am sure this is why some of them ripping. I would recommend going with the clear plastic tubing. We are going to have change back to that on the batch currently in production.

Quick Reply: Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door