Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door

Old 05-30-2009, 06:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by doojer
Awesome write-up-- looks good! Are those tabs that stick out raised at all? As in, would they keep you from easily sliding a box in and out on the side, or would something easily slide over them?
The tabs don't really stick up, but they could snag a box or something, especially if you have removed the carpet in the cargo area.
Old 05-30-2009, 07:00 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

great write-up armycop!! thanks for posting this up
Old 05-30-2009, 07:35 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
armycop - Great job, excellent detail and awesome pics!!! Thanks!

I am considering this as well and have a couple of questions- hope you don't mind.

1) I installed a Tuffy Security Insert into my console and found quite a few "fit and finish" issues with mine and spent well over an hour trimming plastic, exchanging screws and making the insert fit. Overall, I am happy with my insert, but the quality control from Tuffy made the install much tougher than necessary - - - Any such issues with your install? It looks like it went very well.

2) How hard/easy is the top to get on and off in the event you need more cargo space?

3) Any change in subwoofer performance with it being enclosed in a metal box?

4) I love the recessed tray on top, but curious if there are any anchor points to aid in restraining any small cargo on top.

Thanks again for the great post!
1. No problems with the fit/finish and no mods necessary besides bending out the corner of the deck from minor shipping bend.

2. The decklid piece just slides toward the back of the Jeep with the tailgate open, lift the rear and push toward the front of the Jeep to remove. Takes a few seconds. The 4 thumbscrews can be removed in a couple minutes to remove the front piece that is against the seatbacks. It would only take about 2-3 minutes to fold down the seats and remove the top and front of the enclosure.

3. Haven't tested the subwoofer/stereo performance yet.

4. Ditto on what Robar said. You would have to find a tie down system.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

nice write up, just means it moves up on my list now
Old 05-30-2009, 04:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
1. No problems with the fit/finish and no mods necessary besides bending out the corner of the deck from minor shipping bend.

2. The decklid piece just slides toward the back of the Jeep with the tailgate open, lift the rear and push toward the front of the Jeep to remove. Takes a few seconds. The 4 thumbscrews can be removed in a couple minutes to remove the front piece that is against the seatbacks. It would only take about 2-3 minutes to fold down the seats and remove the top and front of the enclosure.

3. Haven't tested the subwoofer/stereo performance yet.

4. Ditto on what Robar said. You would have to find a tie down system.
Thanks Robar and armycop for taking the time to respond to my questions....I really appreciate it. Something like this would make me feel MUCH better riding doorless/top down in a large city!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by JeepDawg
Thanks Robar and armycop for taking the time to respond to my questions....I really appreciate it. Something like this would make me feel MUCH better riding doorless/top down in a large city!
I drove it today and tested the stereo with everything installed. I don't notice a drastic change in sound quality with the subwoofer. I think since it's enclosed, it actually sounds a little deeper than before. I drove quite a bit today, but I had the doors and top off, so I am not really sure whether the stereo was changed or it was just more wind noise...
Old 05-31-2009, 11:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's awesome! Totally what I've been looking for. Thanks for the write up.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Nice write up. This is on my might get list
Old 05-31-2009, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Since I live in an area with a lot of vehicle break-ins, this was at the top of my must buy list.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:05 PM
JK Jedi

One of the rubber pieces that go over the screw holes on the deck part ripped already... I'm wondering if I did something wrong? The piece of stripping there is under the place where it slides-- but I think it ripped by making contact with the top part of the retainer? Anyways, I might need to order some extra ones.

On a side note, for the 4-door, if you fold the rear seats flat and sit back there, the deck makes a great table to eat on or use your laptop-- I'm posting from there right now.

Quick Reply: Tuffy security deck install... JK 4-door