Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Winch mount W/factory bumper

Old 01-25-2007, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CJ2a
Where did you get the mounting channel for the winch? I have an old Warn 9000 that I'd like to mount, but I have no mounting bracket.
I found a link for a universal mount that looks like the one I used, (the most important part being over 33" wide) it is only $50 which I think is a pretty good deal. I think Mile Markers universal mount is also the same (10x4.5 bolt pattern)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...m-20/ref=nosim

I got a good deal on tires and rims (spent less than $1200 on 5). They are 35" nankang mudstars (315/75-16) on 16x8 ZNA alloys w/ 5" backspace.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:03 AM
JK Newbie

Default Materials Used

inlo:

Can you give us a bill of materials you used with part numbers? Definitely going to have this done now that I'm not paying for MyGig, but want to make sure I get all the right parts including fairlanes, mounting brackets, winch model, etc.

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 02-11-2007, 06:05 AM
JK Newbie

Default Hydraulic Option

One more question... I'm thinking about putting in a hydraulic winch instead of an electric one... Did you look to see if this could be done? The Mile Marker 9000 lb hydraulic is only $500, and I think that with my infrequent use I'd be more comfortable with a Hydraulic unit... Electrical connections seem more prone to corrosion, etc. Plus with all the snow / rain we get, I just feel better about the Hydraulic unit. I also like the fact that the winch can work underwater...

So the question is, can you mount this unit upside down and still access the two levers on the winch? Obviously, I don't want to purchase the winch and then find it won't fit, so perhaps you can lend me some advice / input... Keeping your factory look is incredibly important to me...

Thanks!

Ryan
Old 02-13-2007, 07:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default just a couple questions

Good looking job, a man after my own heart. Is that a chicago electric 9000 lb winch (same as, and made by ramsey) from harbor frieght you installed? Also, I couldn't tell by the pictures, but what model did you install that on? The reason I ask is I an anxiously awaiting Jeep #15 to arrive in March and it is the 4 door rubicon and as I'm sure you know, it has the sway bar disconnect motor in approximatly the winch drum location, so I was wondering if it would work for my application, or should I just plan on custom fabing an extrme bumper...hmmm...? Since it is not here yet I can run out to the shop and look under it. Thanks in advance for any help on this, Jon. Jon@giovanicustoms.com
Old 04-16-2007, 09:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

that is kick ass I think i found out how my winch is going in to the New jeep!!!
Old 04-16-2007, 11:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Damn.. that's pretty cool. Nice work.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not too shabby! just cut those ends off and you're set!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 PM
JK Newbie

Sorry guys, I've been gone a while........

As you can see from the picture with the winch mounted upside down (and notch out of the metal bumper) you can access the clutch lever. The selonoid control box is then mounted elsewhere so you can plug in the remote.

I used the REW 10000 from harbor freight, part #91905. It seems to be the same as the mile marker unit, and it comes with roller fairlead and universal mount, (all for $399.99 on sale). I haven't had any problems with it yet.

As far as parts list go, I think the only parts I needed to buy that were not with the winch were 4 - grade 8 mounting bolts, (to mount plate to frame) and the 2 - approx. 2" bolts used with the home made spacers to bolt the fairlead to the metal bumper.

(GiovaniCustoms) and all other rubicon owners, I think that the electronic sway bar disconnects are gonna take up most of the room where I mounted my winch Let's see some home made bumpers people!

If anyone needs a winch mounting plate, I've come across an extra that is taking up valuable garage space My e-mail is aznick@yahoo.com I'm in Phoenix, we might be able to work something out
Old 04-21-2007, 03:04 PM
JK Freak

exelent !!!!!....................
Old 05-13-2007, 03:23 PM
JK Newbie

Thats the best custom winch mount I've seen yet!! Great job! It reminds me of Toyota Landcruisers that come stock with a winch hidden in the OEM plastic bumper. How did you get the winch plate bolted to the frame? I can't figure out how you held the nuts to the bolt inside the frame rail. Again great job and thanks for the write up.

Quick Reply: Winch mount W/factory bumper