Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

35's and C-Gussets - How Much Are They Needed?

Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 35's and C-Gussets - How Much Are They Needed?

So when I went so my local 4x4 shop and asked about getting C-Gussets installed and that I planned on running 35's, they told me it was not needed. After reading the FAQ section and reading about the minimum requirements for 35's, I am very unsure. The parts seem inexpensive, it just looks like it requires welding, meaning I would NEED a professional to do it.

The Jeep is a 2012 Sport, and in all reality will see roads 95% of the time with some light off-road / trail ride when I can.

My question is, how many people running 35's are running without C-Gussets? What level of wheeling do you normally do?
Old 09-12-2013, 11:56 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Gussets (and sleeves or a truss, for that matter) are things that you will never know if you actually need until 'after' something is bent. Some are bending with no lift and stock tires driving onroad. Others are playing in the rocks with larger tires and indicate their housing is fine. Which group are you a member of?

You will see the term Cheap Insurance used quite a bit when this subject is brought up. If you can afford it, go ahead. If you can't, do it anyway.

Or not...
Old 09-13-2013, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

I figured as much.

Might have to find another shop to see if they will do it.

TeraFlex Knuckle Gusset Kit - Front TF-4990800

It doesn't seem overly complicated or expensive for the added piece of mind.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Find a local jeep club and go hang out. I bet someone there is a skilled welder and would help you out for a fraction of the cost of a shop.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM
JK Newbie

I'm actually in the same boat! Can anyone give some insight as to which C gussets are the best deal for the money? Going to install them in mine very soon. Thanks!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

I like my Evo ones
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have EVO gussets also (recommended by my 4x4 shop). I'd just make sure you find a shop or someone that has experience welding C gussets so they take the necessary precautions to avoid damaging the ball joints.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:40 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the PureJeep gussets ($49) and truss ($70) shipped from Marcus at RiverCity Offroad.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had the PureJeep kit installed while sleeving mine.

PUREJEEP: New Products

I completely agree with the "Cheep Insurance" statement. We all say we are just going to go out and just do easy trails and then we see this great line on a trail and the next thing you know you are playing in the rocks.

C-Gussets are one of those items that can be really cheep if you are already doing other work because the shop has the axel/Jeep torn apart (Gears, Breaks, Lift etc)
Old 09-13-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Freak

I've run 35's with no gussets for about a year now and have done some decent wheeling with no issues. Not at all that I'm saying not to run them with 35's as I should have installed them. With my 37's going on this weekend, my gussets are soon to be on order.

Something that your 35's will probably tear up just driving on the street are your ball joints. I'm about to order Synergy ball joints and will install at the same time as welding on the gussets.

Quick Reply: 35's and C-Gussets - How Much Are They Needed?