Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

AEV. TF. RC. SL. Too many lift options...need help/advice!

Old 05-18-2012, 07:15 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Www.northridge4x4.com
Old 05-18-2012, 07:43 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MTG
I have a 2012 JKUR and researched lift options to death.

If you want to do it right and not worry about it again pick up the EVO Enforcer kit with the EVO draglink flip kit. You will not regret it!

If price is a concern get the bilstein 5100 shocks rather than the kings.

Other things: you'll want to replace your front drive shaft with a 1310 from coast or JE Reel (or similar quality), skip the exhaust spacer, move your evap skid plate over 2", AEV Procal to recalibrate speedo, and with 35"s you'll want to get some C gussets. Again EVO has you covered.

As for the install I highly recommend doing it yourself. Post up in the NW section for a lift party and I'm sure people will help you out. The knowledge you'll gain is invaluable. Plus you'll save a ton of money. I did mine, with the help of another forum member, and had no idea what I was doing when I started

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

BTW--how is P-town? Been a while since I've been back after moving to Reno from the NW.
After looking at WOL's '12, I'm seriously considering the EVO option now as well. At first glance though, it seems quite a bit pricier. That's not necissarily a total turn off for me, I may just need to adjust my thinking. I am of the mind set that I would rather pay for a higher quality product once, than replace cheaper ones over and over again, it's just a big pill to swallow up front. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. F*@&! I just need to make up my mind and pull the trigger already.

PDX is alright. Fun if you know where to look. I relocated from Hawaii, to Seattle, to Portland, so it's a little lackluster in comparison.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:04 PM
JK Freak

If I had the cash I would certainly go with EVO, but I'm happy with my used 2.5" TF lift. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:40 PM
MTG
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JKGRND
After looking at WOL's '12, I'm seriously considering the EVO option now as well. At first glance though, it seems quite a bit pricier. That's not necissarily a total turn off for me, I may just need to adjust my thinking. I am of the mind set that I would rather pay for a higher quality product once, than replace cheaper ones over and over again, it's just a big pill to swallow up front. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. F*@&! I just need to make up my mind and pull the trigger already.

PDX is alright. Fun if you know where to look. I relocated from Hawaii, to Seattle, to Portland, so it's a little lackluster in comparison.
Rubicat (WOL's 2012) has a different system than EVO's Enforcer kit. The Enforcer uses springs and shocks vs. a coilover system. I am not sure what the incremental price difference will be, but going coilovers will be more expensive for sure. However, based on your original post, you probably will not need coilovers.

The only complaint I ever found about EVO's product was the price (although I don't think it's that much more; the King shocks are what are expensive and there a many shock choices out there to save money). I did not find a single complaint about quality or performance on this or any other jeep forum. I cannot say that for other systems. That is not to say brand X is bad. But for me, I'd rather spend a little more and have the peace of mind that I made the right choice. I read too many threads about people chasing problems with their "frankenstein" lifts. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I was interested in. I don't have the time to chase down problems with my daily driver.

I was in the same boat as you several months ago...I went from planning to get a puck system to make the jeep look good to getting a great lift with King reservoir shocks in a matter of months. I was blown away how well my jeep performed while in Moab. But admittedly, I am hooked on the jeep lifestyle. Although it is cliche, do it once and never do it again. There have been several people who have PM'd me about the lift and that have subsequently purchased it. They all love it!

Anyway, there are several good lift manufacturers out there. Stick to the main ones and get a "complete" lift and I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of which brand you go with.

Yeah, going to Seattle then PDX from Hawaii must be tough. We spend a lot of time in Hawaii and love it. But Portland in the summer is fantastic too. Hopefully you know someone with a boat and can get out for some water recreation. The bars and coffee shops are hard to beat as well. And let me tell you...the difference in restaurant choices between PDX and Reno isn't even fair. We used to love Dragonfish, the Brewery district, and a little cuban place on the east side of the river. I'd love to move back up there someday.

Man that was a lot of typing. Must be a boring Friday night.

BTW--I reread this quickly and have to say that I sound like a salesman. I do not get paid by EVO and if I thought the product was a dog, I assure you I would post up here that is sucks. LOL! Honestly, feel free to PM me any questions you have.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:51 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks. That actually clears up a few things. I'll check out the EVO system a little more thoroughly to make sure I'm comparing the right set up. You did hit the nail on the head with me as far as doing it right the first time. I don't have time to chase down issues on my daily driver either. I need it to perform reliably, and well. Ultimately, I want to make sure I spend the right money, on the right product, the first time, which is what has created my internal struggle thus far. I hope to place my order within the next few days, so I'm down to "crunch time".
Old 05-18-2012, 11:53 PM
JK Newbie

And yes, Portland does have its saving graces. I have to admit, there are far worse places I could have ended up. Haha. God forbid, I could have ended up in Sacramento, ugh.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MTG
I have a 2012 JKUR and researched lift options to death.

If you want to do it right and not worry about it again pick up the EVO Enforcer kit with the EVO draglink flip kit. You will not regret it!

If price is a concern get the bilstein 5100 shocks rather than the kings.

Other things: you'll want to replace your front drive shaft with a 1310 from coast or JE Reel (or similar quality), skip the exhaust spacer, move your evap skid plate over 2", AEV Procal to recalibrate speedo, and with 35"s you'll want to get some C gussets. Again EVO has you covered.

As for the install I highly recommend doing it yourself. Post up in the NW section for a lift party and I'm sure people will help you out. The knowledge you'll gain is invaluable. Plus you'll save a ton of money. I did mine, with the help of another forum member, and had no idea what I was doing when I started

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

BTW--how is P-town? Been a while since I've been back after moving to Reno from the NW.
Very well said!
Old 05-19-2012, 04:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MTG
Rubicat (WOL's 2012) has a different system than EVO's Enforcer kit. The Enforcer uses springs and shocks vs. a coilover system. I am not sure what the incremental price difference will be, but going coilovers will be more expensive for sure. However, based on your original post, you probably will not need coilovers.

The only complaint I ever found about EVO's product was the price (although I don't think it's that much more; the King shocks are what are expensive and there a many shock choices out there to save money). I did not find a single complaint about quality or performance on this or any other jeep forum. I cannot say that for other systems. That is not to say brand X is bad. But for me, I'd rather spend a little more and have the peace of mind that I made the right choice. I read too many threads about people chasing problems with their "frankenstein" lifts. Nothing wrong with that, just not what I was interested in. I don't have the time to chase down problems with my daily driver.

I was in the same boat as you several months ago...I went from planning to get a puck system to make the jeep look good to getting a great lift with King reservoir shocks in a matter of months. I was blown away how well my jeep performed while in Moab. But admittedly, I am hooked on the jeep lifestyle. Although it is cliche, do it once and never do it again. There have been several people who have PM'd me about the lift and that have subsequently purchased it. They all love it!

Anyway, there are several good lift manufacturers out there. Stick to the main ones and get a "complete" lift and I'm sure you'll be happy regardless of which brand you go with.

Yeah, going to Seattle then PDX from Hawaii must be tough. We spend a lot of time in Hawaii and love it. But Portland in the summer is fantastic too. Hopefully you know someone with a boat and can get out for some water recreation. The bars and coffee shops are hard to beat as well. And let me tell you...the difference in restaurant choices between PDX and Reno isn't even fair. We used to love Dragonfish, the Brewery district, and a little cuban place on the east side of the river. I'd love to move back up there someday.

Man that was a lot of typing. Must be a boring Friday night.

BTW--I reread this quickly and have to say that I sound like a salesman. I do not get paid by EVO and if I thought the product was a dog, I assure you I would post up here that is sucks. LOL! Honestly, feel free to PM me any questions you have.
So, I'm following this lead as we speak and pricing it all out. It's actually not as bad as I thought it would be, going without the King shocks and with the Bildtein 5100's instead. However, you mentioned a 3.5" Enforcer kit, and when I went to EVO"s site, they only have a 4" Enforcer kit. Is this the same kit you're talking about? Did it just settle down to 3.5"? Either is cool with me, just checking.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 PM
JK Freak

Check out the full traction maintenance free 3"... Just sayin'. I got 5 inches on my '11 rubi with this lift (with heavy bumpers, winch, etc.)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except for teraflex, I wouldn't let ANY of those companies (AEV, Rough Country, Superlift) come anywhere near my 2013 Rubi in October. They are all highly inferior products. Can't comment on Clayton, as I'm not familiar. The only three companies I would ever consider are Rock Krawler, Teraflex, and EVO. I personally have a RK on my 2010 now that I'm happy with, but will be upgrading to the Double D long arm kit by EVO for my new JKUR. I will probably add their bolt on coilover kit at some point too (Rubicats not-yet-released-to-the-public suspension). AEV isn't even technically a lift, its just some fancy brackets with no arms... Rough country has had failure issues do to their use of inferior Chinese foundries for their steel. Superlift... Well, mostly see superlift on trucks. Never actually met someone who had one on their jeep... At least no one with a jeep worth inquiring about...

Quick Reply: AEV. TF. RC. SL. Too many lift options...need help/advice!