Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Anybody get their AEV wheels yet?

Old 04-10-2007, 11:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Localnet could you post pics of the wheels that are pitting
Old 04-10-2007, 02:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by localnet
I know that they have used different manufacturers in the past. The wheels on my wifes Jeep were made in Austrailia. And I agree, the guys at AEV were pleasant to deal with, until it came to backing their product.

I sent them pictures of the pitting, and they even admitted it was a known problem! I was given a song and dance about them switching wheel manufactures, and the manufacturer in OZ would not back AEV's WHEELS! So it was MY PROBLEM! But hey, they would gladly sell me a new set of wheels at full price! Which weren't even available at the time for my wifes lifted liberty! They were switching manufactures again, and did not have any wheels in stock, and had no intentions of replacing my pitted wheels with their name on them.

I would have gladly sent them back for replacement, but they would not play ball, and I was very busy at the time. I didn't have time to play games.

Like I said, good luck dealing with AEV. I know that as of 2 years ago they would not stand behind their own product, I don't see why they would today.

So I basically ate $1200.00 in wheels

The sad part is, I would buy their wheels again but for the way I was treated. I really think they have a good looking product. I hope yours lasts longer then a few months, good luck!
Anybody else care to weigh in on this one? Experiences good or bad with AEV? I'd sure hate to spend the money on these wheels only to find out that their build quality and customer support is about the same as DC's.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:55 PM
JK Newbie

Pictures are on the way!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
JK Newbie

Here are some pics.

They looked half this bad after just 3 months. It has been over 2 years now.

Like I said, good luck with these guys. They knew this was a problem back then, and told me to bad!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel1.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	1239   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel2.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1240   Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel3.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	1241  
Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 PM
JK Newbie

My assumption then, as is now, is that the pitting was more from brake dust. That is just my thought, as the spare on the back of the Jeep, which is uncovered, still looks new.

As I said, the pitting became evident in roughly a few months after mounting these wheels. By fall, mounted in late spring, the wheels looked incredibly bad. And this was before a drop of snow, or road salt, ever saw these wheels.

Very poor quality in my book. And they admitidly knew of the problem. Not the cause, but that there was a problem. I ate this, make sure you get a written warranty from AEV. I did not, and bought directly from them.

And my wife works for a major auto supplier, that is how I found out about AEV. One of her co-workers went to SEMA in Vegas, told her about the Liberty build. Which got back to me, and I ate $1200 bones. The wife is still mad!

Mike
Old 04-11-2007, 06:11 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by localnet
Here are some pics.

They looked half this bad after just 3 months. It has been over 2 years now.

Like I said, good luck with these guys. They knew this was a problem back then, and told me to bad!
That sux. sorry AEV, no soup for you! I won't knowingly do business with anyone who won't stand behind their product.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:32 AM
TEV
JK Freak

Wow im really suprised, usually companies that charge so much for thier products stand behind them. That will teach me to jump to conclusions. I still think thier wheels look really nice and I havn't heard anything bad about the quality of the new wheels. Man that really sucks. I would sand them down and re-paint those wheels with some wheel paint. Its not to expensive and easy to do yourself. I agree tho, if those wheels looked like that after a few months and especially if more people are having the same problems then AEV should have done something.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Newbie

As you can see from the pictures, its time for a new set of tires. I am going to get her a new set of wheels as I said, non AEV.

But, I was thinking that I might send the pitted wheels out to be repaired and maybe powder coated or chromed. The pitting is pretty nasty, they will need to be filled and sanded. If anything can even be done with them, they are pretty nasty.

I hate to just throw them out, as they are good looking wheels. Maybe you will see them on ebay one day!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by skibum
That sux. sorry AEV, no soup for you! I won't knowingly do business with anyone who won't stand behind their product.
Wow, those look really bad, you werent kidding. You guys and gals holding off becuase of this will probably find someone making something you like just as much soon. Ive already got my wheels, but I will not do any business with a company that does that to their customers. To the people at AEV you should know that over time companies with poor customer service tend to fade away.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by rrobert22
To the people at AEV you should know that over time companies with poor customer service tend to fade away.
You mean like DCX?

Quick Reply: Anybody get their AEV wheels yet?