Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION - Chrysler WILL VOID Your Warranty if You Lift Your Jeep

Old 11-15-2011, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well.. I've been doing business with Tuttle-Click Tustin for a long time. I've had good success with their service department... I also had a run-in with one of their prima donna techs. There has been an ongoing debate about modifications in general, not generated from a customer survey that led to retaliation against a customer.

I was one of the first to modify a XJ Cherokee with a dealer-installed Rancho 3" system well over 15 years ago. There were only two lifts available at the time... Rancho 3" and Trail Master 4". Don-A-Vee Jeep in Placentia installed the Rancho and it didn't void my warranty. I specifically asked them and they said no, it won't.

Why may you ask?

Because Rancho got bought by Monroe and Rancho at the time met certain manufacturer requirements. The max lift on a XJ Cherokee was 3" due to driveline limitations... anything higher and you were asking for trouble. I ran that lift for almost ten years and then all hell broke loose and I decided to install a 4.5" Rubicon. Big mistake... and quickly knew why the Rancho 3" was the max.

There's a point when you reach the design limitations of a vehicle and that's when everyone gets anxious and throws the red flag.

No one wants to get sued, especially those with deep pockets.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:58 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by m998dna
Well.. I've been doing business with Tuttle-Click Tustin for a long time. I've had good success with their service department... I also had a run-in with one of their prima donna techs. There has been an ongoing debate about modifications in general, not generated from a customer survey that led to retaliation against a customer.

I was one of the first to modify a XJ Cherokee with a dealer-installed Rancho 3" system well over 15 years ago. There were only two lifts available at the time... Rancho 3" and Trail Master 4". Don-A-Vee Jeep in Placentia installed the Rancho and it didn't void my warranty. I specifically asked them and they said no, it won't.

Why may you ask?

Because Rancho got bought by Monroe and Rancho at the time met certain manufacturer requirements. The max lift on a XJ Cherokee was 3" due to driveline limitations... anything higher and you were asking for trouble. I ran that lift for almost ten years and then all hell broke loose and I decided to install a 4.5" Rubicon. Big mistake... and quickly knew why the Rancho 3" was the max.

There's a point when you reach the design limitations of a vehicle and that's when everyone gets anxious and throws the red flag.

No one wants to get sued, especially those with deep pockets.

i'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with them but, if you took the time to read my posts, you'd know that lift height had nothing to do with why i got flagged. if it were, i would not have been able to get it removed.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wayoflife
i'm glad to hear you've had good experiences with them but, if you took the time to read my posts, you'd know that lift height had nothing to do with why i got flagged. if it were, i would not have been able to get it removed.
I read enough to know you got flagged for a survey response... and went through hell getting it removed. I read about your experience a long time ago.

The point is mods aren't tolerated as much as they have been in the past. Warranty claims by dealers surface as after sales costs and are being challenged by the manufacturers. There's a lot of push back on dealers since the bankruptcies - and now with Fiat owning Chrysler the bean counters are pruning budgets. ASCOS is an expense that hits the balance sheet and if they can reduce operating costs, they improve margins. If sales are flat, where do bean counters look first?

This is the same issue that plagues the Jeep SRT8 crew...

Some dealers flag Jeep owners for simply running different tires other than OEM. Most everyone loads their stock tunes before going to the dealer - unless the dealer is mod friendly, selling and installing 426 Hemi's and blowers.

Tuttle-Click installs lifts on brand new Jeeps. I wonder if they red-flag them from the get-go or do they give those customers a free pass? It would be interesting to find out what their policy is on that note.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637)
Old 11-15-2011, 11:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Last month went to tuttle click irvine for oil change routine, and told them about the intermediate steering shaft clunking problem, and my jeep still under warranty. But they told me the clunk came from my aftermarket lift kit. When I tried to explained where the clunk coming from, they respond: " ah..seems you can fix them by your self..." what an a$$ h@le!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2642075534.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	237530  

Last edited by tinobw; 11-16-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:46 PM
JK Freak

I had some trouble with TC Tustin several months ago. I asked them to install a new water pump on my XJ... and change the S-belt and flush the coolant. The tech gave me back my XJ with a thumping sound coming from what was obviously the belt.. you could see a flat spot each rotation.

So I take it back and the service writer brings the tech out and he starts establishing his 20 years experience and credentials. I told him I have 20 years experience driving my Cherokee... and I know every inch like the back of my hand. Then he explains the thumping was coming from behind the timing chain cover and went as far to bring out a maintenance diagram of the problem area. He wanted to tear the front of the motor apart. I said no way... the motor has never been apart before.

I told this fucking poindexter the new belt had a flat spot and I wanted it swapped out.. he refused and then babbled on about how each belt is physically inspected by Mopar. This guy doesn't know what I do for a living so I called him out on his assumptions.

So I left, went home and called AMEX and placed a payment hold on Tuttle-Click.

As soon as that hit coporate accounting the shit hit the fan...

I got immediate action, the Service Director called and they swapped out the S-belt... the thumping disappeared. They paid for a rental for 2 days and gave me a lifetime warranty on the water pump.

By no means am I endorsing TC... I had many years of good dealings with them, but things change.

I know nothing about the Irvine location... other than I watched a dip shit salesman run into a showroom door with a brand new 2007 Jeep SRT8. I went back a week later and they had repaired and repainted the front bumper where it sustained damange.

I would never buy anything off their showroom floor, but that goes for every dealer out there.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:24 AM
JK Freak

For those with "lift concerns":I spoke with a dealer recently and will GLADLY post his info, but he told me that Chrysler will honor warranty's up to 4" of lift. That includes a body lift, coil lift, puck lift, etc. I just need to find his business card. It was at Greenbrier Jeep in Chesapeake, VA (or Souther Hospitality as they now call it).

I was told exactly the same thing from two different dealers recently when I bought my 2012. My son just bought a new one also and he was told the same. I plan on testing them maybe they have relaxed a bit on their policy, we will see.

I edited this post to add. Where a problem with warranty would or could occur with those of use with auto's and larger than 32" tires. I was told this in the past if I had a auto and ran anything larger than 32" tires it would void my warranty on the trans,reason given was Chrysler has no way to reprogram the shift points it didn't matter that that there are after market programmers that will.

Last edited by Rhino64; 11-16-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by tinobw
Last month went to tuttle click irvine for oil change routine, and told them about the intermediate steering shaft clunking problem, and my jeep still under warranty. But they told me the clunk came from my aftermarket lift kit. When I tried to explained where the clunk coming from, they respond: " ah..seems you can fix them by your self..." what an a$$ h@le!!!
I can see right now Tuttle Click doesn't want to mess with aftermarket lifts....

I had a clunking in my front axle on my XJ and they basically wrote the same thing on my RO. When I took it back to T and J where I got the lift installed, the clunk wound up being axle isolators that were shot - a common problem with Jeeps.

The SRT8s rip the isolators apart at the drag strip .. a weak spot in the front axle.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

My 05 LJ is lifted and modded significantly. Everytime my service advisor pulled me up on the computer it listed the lift and larger tires but I had zero restrictions. I even had the auto tranny replaced under warranty at 48k miles when the rear tail shaft bearing imploded destroying the inside of the tranny. I have a RE 4.5 sf lift, 513's, alloy shafts, TW shafts, aftermarket brakes, currie steering and AR.

The only issue with the tranny, and one I discussed with my advisor, was the jeep medic engine and TC skid plates. I mentioned that I had heard surplus charges for the heavier parts over stock tin. He asked, is it the same amount of bolts? I said yes, both skids use factory mounting. he said, Nope, I dont care if its heavier its the same amount of bolts and its 2 peices. I said Cool. The tranny tech did want to charge me extra becuase they were so heavy but my rep said nope. They even installed the eng skid centered so it didnt hit the exhaust or ds. I paid my $100 deductible and drove home happy.

They have covered my exhaust leaks and rear main seal leak as well.

Sorry you had such a rough time with them.

I hope my JK isnt an issue for them when I start in on it.

ETA just to clarify, I didnt use tuttle click I live in another state and was referring to my dealer.

Last edited by Redrubicon; 12-02-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

this thread along with interaction that i have had w/ Chrysler helped me to make the deicision to not extend my warranty on my jeep and look forward to my warranty expiring so i never has to deal with this corportation again...well that is until i buy my second jeep....dammmmm monopoly.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - Chrysler WILL VOID Your Warranty if You Lift Your Jeep