Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ATTENTION - Chrysler WILL VOID Your Warranty if You Lift Your Jeep

Old 12-06-2011, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two dealers in town here and I will never go back to the one I got my jk from, they are very rude and they don't tell you the truth about what they do to your jeep and there for can not be trusted, at about 32,000 km doing an oil change on my jeep and checking it over I found both front axel u-joints had a lot of play in them, took it to the other dealer in town and they said is it under 60,000 km and less then 3 years old? Yea, ok when do you want to bring it in? Turns out half there techs and advisors have lifted jeeps and all kinds, I asked about warrenty and lifts and they said as long as they can't see the problem being caused from the lift it's all good, he said 4" is the max before they start to see problems, they are very good there, they also put 4" kits on new jeeps for sale and do a lot of off road stuff including lights and tires and stuff so I don't think I'll have any trouble with them
Old 12-14-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hey Eddie,

Firstly, well done on standing up to this dealer. It is bullies and the thinking behind these actions that creates the problems in the world. Looks like Stalinism in a way. May I suggest you see a lawyer and take up the case with Fiat/Chrysler and this particular dealer. I think you have a case. That'll ensure all such actions by dealers are curbed. It is a bit of David against Goliath however I have confidence in the justice system to humble these kind of loosers.

Well done again on standing up for Jepp lovers and yourself.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

Default troubled sounds...

Hey guys sorry for butting in on this, great thread by the way. I have had some irritating dealings with a dealership in Texas but with a different vehicle. I just lifted my jeep (2010 sport) I went the way of thinking less wouldn't hurt the warranty, I guess I might be wrong. I just put a 2.5in on with a set of 33's and took her for a test run... now I'm getting a strange grinding sound that almost sounds like brakes squealing but I cant see anything down there, and I hosed it off at the car wash really well, so I don't know what I should do. Any suggestions? I feel like I might have just royally screwed the pooch...
Old 12-23-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Here at the Liberty Superstore in town, if you go with one of their Dakota Edition Packages, it is all covered under warranty

Of course they do have their limitations, but it is a nice feature
Old 12-23-2011, 05:25 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chris_davis
Hey guys sorry for butting in on this, great thread by the way. I have had some irritating dealings with a dealership in Texas but with a different vehicle. I just lifted my jeep (2010 sport) I went the way of thinking less wouldn't hurt the warranty, I guess I might be wrong. I just put a 2.5in on with a set of 33's and took her for a test run... :
I'm not your conscience, but you're correct. You should start your own thread if you're having an issue.
Old 12-25-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Love the jeep and will keep it and mod it but I won't get another Chrysler vehicle ever again. The way they handle business is absolutely horrible. No one should have to bend over backwards like this to get something fixed. I've had mine in service a couple of times for minor things and it's obvious they are not their to help you in anyway. Again love the jeep for what it can do but Chrysler is the worst car company around. Shame on the gov for bailing these idiot out.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Shell
Love the jeep and will keep it and mod it but I won't get another Chrysler vehicle ever again. The way they handle business is absolutely horrible. No one should have to bend over backwards like this to get something fixed. I've had mine in service a couple of times for minor things and it's obvious they are not their to help you in anyway. Again love the jeep for what it can do but Chrysler is the worst car company around. Shame on the gov for bailing these idiot out.
This is big business though ... not a Chrysler thing. If you want better service from a company, you have to ridiculously overpay for everything. Only then are they willing to eat something that they feel they shouldn't. (Neiman Marcus comes to mind) Just my opinion.

>> When in doubt, keep your mouth shut, refuse to participate in any customer evaluation
>> you might get by phone and toss the ones you get by mail in the trash. If I had known
>> what I know now, that’s what I would have done and will do from here on out.

Very important lesson and one I will learn from. I dont recall getting a survey from my Jeep purchase but I probably did ... I wonder if you can just chop off the personal information / VIN / etc?
Old 01-16-2012, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'll post my experience involving a 2010 F-150 Lariat 4-door that I just traded in for my 2011 Jeep.

Purchased the truck new in March, 2010. By April, 2010, I was already at the dealer having the A/C compressor replaced. Luckily, I had the Weathertech mats or I'd have been drying out the passenger floor carpet too. By May, 2010, I'm having an issue. It presented as a tranny problem. Under normal and moderate throttle pressure, it would respond normally. Under heavy acceleration (i.e. trying to get up to speed on the on-ramp), the engine would immediately die. I would count to 5, and boom, it would come back to life and the tranny/rear-end would hit so hard, I literally thought it was going to come out from underneath the truck. Two dealers, 3 re-programs, and 5 visits later, the second dealer finds the problem (bad throttle body) and replaces it. Also, while it's in there, they are taking a look at the sunroof for the 3rd time (the glass was rattling when it was open).

Now, I'm at August, 2010. Right front tire blows at 23K miles. I get it off and it has been completely chewed through, both rubber and steel belts. I look at the left front and determine it's only a few thousand miles behind. I go to dealer #1 on Labor Day Saturday, 2010. He checks the alignment and it's so far out that he's gotta order parts and it will be Tuesday before he can do it b/c of the holiday. Well, Dealer #1 is about 250 miles from "home" so I tell him I'll have Dealer #2 look at it when I get back on Tuesday. Take it to Dealer #2 (the one that couldn't fix the throttle body but they are 5 minutes from work), show him the alignment sheet from Dealer #1 and he puts it on the rack. 10 minutes later, he comes back and says Dealer #1's machine was wrong and it's in alignment fine. So, I go to Dealer #3 (#3 is the one that fixed the throttle body) and they check the alignment while working on the sunroof for the 4th time. The dealer wanted $250 for an alignment and $1400 for the tires. I told him he was crazy and took it to Sears. Alignment was $100 and the same tires were $400 less WITH road hazard. Oh, and the sunroof still isn't fixed.

Now it's February, 2011. I take it to the Valvoline where I always get it serviced (only because the dealer closes shop at 5 pm and Valvoline is open until 9 pm and on weekends). I have them change the rear end oil (they pump it out and replace it with the Valvoline equivalent of Ford's). I had about 45,000 miles on the truck by this point and had a slight whine in the rear, so I figured the oil was getting old and possibly had some water in it. Changed the oil and the whine went away.....for about 2 weeks. So I take it to Dealer #3 and have them check it out in addition to trip #5 for the sunroof (now, the glass is so tight that it strains to go back, but the front support bar is up in the airstream and vibrates so bad above 35 mph that you can't drive the truck with it open). They call me and tell me Valvoline didn't put the "friction modifier" in it. I check all the spec's and Valvoline explicitly says that the friction modifier is NOT needed (gives both Ford, Chrysler, and GM part numbers). Dealer #3 also says that pumping the rear end is not acceptable and for a proper service it has to be completely opened up (bullsh_t). Valvoline ends up paying for the rear end to be opened and serviced and Ford's techs give it the thumbs up that no damage has occurred. Not even one metal shaving was found on the magnet.

At this point, it's about June, 2011. I take it to Dealer #3 again, for the sunroof and the rear defroster now as well as a tranny service due to mileage. Still don't fix the sunroof, they claim the rear defroster wasn't broken, and "change" the ATF fluid. I say "change" because about mid-July, I'm offroad and go through an off-camber ditch crossing. As my right front tire drops into the ditch, black smoke and the inevitable smell of burnt ATF. I rush it back to the dealer and they, OOPS, forgot to put the fill plug back into the tranny when they serviced it. Oh, and the sunroof still isn't fixed. And now, it's August, 2011 and the rear end whine is back. I'm off to Dealer #3 and now they won't warranty the rear-end. They said it's Valvoline's fault. I had even asked her to see if they could figure out why the front end was chewing tires off (Set #2 was showing the same wear pattern as the OEM tires). She refused to look. Seriously, just flat out refused because I hadn't bought them or had the alignment done there. And I told her that if it was alignment related, I'd pay the cost, but that it seemed like something else was wrong.

Ever since the throttle body took 4 trips, I had Ford Customer Service involved. I even got a free bumper-to-bumper extension to 60,000 miles. But to no avail. The last conversation I had with Dealer #3's Service Manager, she literally cussed me and hung up. Ford CS didn't care. They even stood behind the dealer. The tranny was slipping by the time I got rid of it. I had no other option within 90 minutes as far as Dealers. Dealer #3 was the ONLY full service Ford dealer in the area. I was treated like the dog poo on your shoe. I can honestly tell you that I will probably NEVER buy another Ford. I tried to file Lemon Law, but unfortunately, WV only allows it during the first 36K miles. Most of my problems hit around 30K and I was over the 36K before I knew it. (I drive over 600 miles a week, sometimes close to 800). The way Ford treated me, it was nothing short of horrendous. To the effect that even though my wife REALLY wanted one of the new 2011 Explorers, she refused to get one and got a Honda Odyssey because she knew the type of service she would receive if there was ever ANYTHING wrong with it.
Old 01-16-2012, 09:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vtminer
I'll post my experience involving a 2010 F-150 Lariat 4-door that I just traded in for my 2011 Jeep.

Purchased the truck new in March, 2010. By April, 2010, I was already at the dealer having the A/C compressor replaced. Luckily, I had the Weathertech mats or I'd have been drying out the passenger floor carpet too. By May, 2010, I'm having an issue. It presented as a tranny problem. Under normal and moderate throttle pressure, it would respond normally. Under heavy acceleration (i.e. trying to get up to speed on the on-ramp), the engine would immediately die. I would count to 5, and boom, it would come back to life and the tranny/rear-end would hit so hard, I literally thought it was going to come out from underneath the truck. Two dealers, 3 re-programs, and 5 visits later, the second dealer finds the problem (bad throttle body) and replaces it. Also, while it's in there, they are taking a look at the sunroof for the 3rd time (the glass was rattling when it was open).

Now, I'm at August, 2010. Right front tire blows at 23K miles. I get it off and it has been completely chewed through, both rubber and steel belts. I look at the left front and determine it's only a few thousand miles behind. I go to dealer #1 on Labor Day Saturday, 2010. He checks the alignment and it's so far out that he's gotta order parts and it will be Tuesday before he can do it b/c of the holiday. Well, Dealer #1 is about 250 miles from "home" so I tell him I'll have Dealer #2 look at it when I get back on Tuesday. Take it to Dealer #2 (the one that couldn't fix the throttle body but they are 5 minutes from work), show him the alignment sheet from Dealer #1 and he puts it on the rack. 10 minutes later, he comes back and says Dealer #1's machine was wrong and it's in alignment fine. So, I go to Dealer #3 (#3 is the one that fixed the throttle body) and they check the alignment while working on the sunroof for the 4th time. The dealer wanted $250 for an alignment and $1400 for the tires. I told him he was crazy and took it to Sears. Alignment was $100 and the same tires were $400 less WITH road hazard. Oh, and the sunroof still isn't fixed.

Now it's February, 2011. I take it to the Valvoline where I always get it serviced (only because the dealer closes shop at 5 pm and Valvoline is open until 9 pm and on weekends). I have them change the rear end oil (they pump it out and replace it with the Valvoline equivalent of Ford's). I had about 45,000 miles on the truck by this point and had a slight whine in the rear, so I figured the oil was getting old and possibly had some water in it. Changed the oil and the whine went away.....for about 2 weeks. So I take it to Dealer #3 and have them check it out in addition to trip #5 for the sunroof (now, the glass is so tight that it strains to go back, but the front support bar is up in the airstream and vibrates so bad above 35 mph that you can't drive the truck with it open). They call me and tell me Valvoline didn't put the "friction modifier" in it. I check all the spec's and Valvoline explicitly says that the friction modifier is NOT needed (gives both Ford, Chrysler, and GM part numbers). Dealer #3 also says that pumping the rear end is not acceptable and for a proper service it has to be completely opened up (bullsh_t). Valvoline ends up paying for the rear end to be opened and serviced and Ford's techs give it the thumbs up that no damage has occurred. Not even one metal shaving was found on the magnet.

At this point, it's about June, 2011. I take it to Dealer #3 again, for the sunroof and the rear defroster now as well as a tranny service due to mileage. Still don't fix the sunroof, they claim the rear defroster wasn't broken, and "change" the ATF fluid. I say "change" because about mid-July, I'm offroad and go through an off-camber ditch crossing. As my right front tire drops into the ditch, black smoke and the inevitable smell of burnt ATF. I rush it back to the dealer and they, OOPS, forgot to put the fill plug back into the tranny when they serviced it. Oh, and the sunroof still isn't fixed. And now, it's August, 2011 and the rear end whine is back. I'm off to Dealer #3 and now they won't warranty the rear-end. They said it's Valvoline's fault. I had even asked her to see if they could figure out why the front end was chewing tires off (Set #2 was showing the same wear pattern as the OEM tires). She refused to look. Seriously, just flat out refused because I hadn't bought them or had the alignment done there. And I told her that if it was alignment related, I'd pay the cost, but that it seemed like something else was wrong.

Ever since the throttle body took 4 trips, I had Ford Customer Service involved. I even got a free bumper-to-bumper extension to 60,000 miles. But to no avail. The last conversation I had with Dealer #3's Service Manager, she literally cussed me and hung up. Ford CS didn't care. They even stood behind the dealer. The tranny was slipping by the time I got rid of it. I had no other option within 90 minutes as far as Dealers. Dealer #3 was the ONLY full service Ford dealer in the area. I was treated like the dog poo on your shoe. I can honestly tell you that I will probably NEVER buy another Ford. I tried to file Lemon Law, but unfortunately, WV only allows it during the first 36K miles. Most of my problems hit around 30K and I was over the 36K before I knew it. (I drive over 600 miles a week, sometimes close to 800). The way Ford treated me, it was nothing short of horrendous. To the effect that even though my wife REALLY wanted one of the new 2011 Explorers, she refused to get one and got a Honda Odyssey because she knew the type of service she would receive if there was ever ANYTHING wrong with it.

Great, just traded my '08 rubi for a '11 150 platinum eco screw, love the truck so far. Hopefully my future dealership experiences will be different ......
Old 01-19-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting. Stephanie is my case worker on my TIPM issue.

I went to the dealer to have the TIPM looked at since my JK started freaking out. Flashers on, horn blowing, wipers on, washer fluid flying everywhere. I started researching and found out that this is a common issue.

The Dealer started off my diagnotics wrong by saying that they cannot check TIPM because the third party lighting and accessories that I have installed and suspect that the problem with the TIPM is because of all the extra "stuff" installed.

I argued with the service manager by saying that there is no way because everything was turned off when the event happened. This guy had the balls to say, and I quote:

"Even though the switch for the lights is in the off position, there is still residual current in the wires that can effect the TIPM"

Now, being an engineer but a patient one, I stood there for about 2 minutes with this strange confused look on my face and then I said:

"Oh, so Chrysler has invented and developed magic electrons that can travel without a ground in my Jeep"

Needless to say, I got a more confused look from him.

My lights are installed correctly and with relays, there is no power in the wiring when the switch is off and this was just a crock of crap.

So, I called and now have Stephanie in my corner. I had to order a new TIPM and there are over 250 in my area on backorder but stephanie said she would expedite my order. Personally, I don't think she will be able to do anything but said that we just needed to get everything documented in case there is a recall or service bulletin. The ETA for my TIPM is unknown.

One last thing. She did slip and say "The reason they are backordered is because we are changing manufactures of the TIPM". Hmmmm, now why would you be changing manufactures if there isn't a TIPM problem?

I also heard that everything under warranty will remain under warranty as long as the changes you make don't adversly effect the part/item. I was told that if you make a change, make sure you do it in a manner that's safe and within the original specs. Example, lift is ok as long as you take care of geometry and such to keep everything in line and safe.

Quick Reply: ATTENTION - Chrysler WILL VOID Your Warranty if You Lift Your Jeep