Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Best Rear Bumper

Old 10-15-2007, 03:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to see what AEV comes up with for their rear bumper. I'm counting pennies til I can afford the front one.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 AM
JK Newbie

Default Is the PJ out yet?

Originally Posted by goldja
I am having a hard time deciding, all things considered, which rear bumper is best overall. Price is not an important consideration.
I am open to suggestions and your input, but my current short list is: Jeeperman and Purejeep (both with the rear tire carrier).
I am waiting until DC publishes 2008 pricing to order a 08 2 door Rubicon. The Rubicon will be used to tow on a trailer behind my motor home. Therefore, it will get some use on pavement, when I travel, however I am going to purchase it primarily for wheeling, as I have other vehicles to use for daily driving.
Pictures of your bumpers and your decision making process in its purchase would be appreciated.
I don't know about Jeeperman, but I don't think my PJ has shipped yet and it has been on order since April. I want to cancel but I cannot find a bumper I like better. I know once I cancell and get another bumper the PJ will start shipping.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:39 AM
JK Newbie

I just received my Fab Four rear bumper, the shipping weight on it is # 179 lbs. I would guess the box and packing (wood & cardboard) weighs at least # 25 lbs. That would put the bumper and mounting hardware somewhere between # 150 lbs and # 160 lbs. I can't imagine a bumper made much stouter than this one. I would guess none will go much over #160 lbs.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:38 AM
JK Freak

I installed a rockhard rear bumper and they bumper and tire carrier came packaged seperatley. The bumper in a cardboard box weighed 128 pounds so roughly 120 and the tire carrier weighed 64 i think so around 60. Add a 35 inch tire and you are around 260 to 280 pounds. Keep in mind the rockhard is made with 1/4 inch plate. I think its the only one that uses steel that thick.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rugbyduck
I kid you not...the Warn set up is AT LEAST 300 lbs! with the carrier I am betting far more.
C'mon let's not exagerate here! The fabfour bumper which is also reported to be one of the heaviest along with the Warn is rated at 80 lbs. Winches are 50-80 on top of that so most you are looking at is probably 160-175 lbs. for front bumper and winch. The back bumper can't be any heavier than that either.

I'm currently trying to get some honest opinions on what these after market bumpers do to the suspension/ride quality but haven't heard too many convincing arguments one way or the other on whether you need a lift or spacers to correct any serious issues.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/anyone-using-aftermarket-bumpers-without-lift-spacers-18977/

I'm thinking maybe I'll just have a buddy sit on my stock bumper and see how suspension sags. Doubt he would let me take it out for a spin with him on the bumper though to see how ride quality is affected.

Quick Reply: Best Rear Bumper