Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlacatl
Physiological thing eh? Well thats interesting... I made no HP gain claims, my claim is qualitative in that I perceive a difference in quality of ride under load (a hill)... I haven't dyno'd but I claim a difference, what the actual difference is I don't know... I suppose "physiological" is possible?
Lol. Well so long as your happy. All I'm saying is I've been around the Camaro/Firebird/Corvette/Mustang/Rice Rocket world my whole life(43 years old) and I can tell a difference between Dino oil and Synthetic oil in a car, but have yet to see a air filter show any performance gains. And to think that it would have an impact on a Jeep but not the others I find kinda funny. All I'm saying is that it's the same effect you get after you wash your car. It just seems to run better.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by troyoffroad
Just so you know, the Airraid and Banks kits both use sealed boxes and use the same hole in the fender as the stock intake. So as far as being more susceptible to inhaling water than your stock setup is not true. The kits that just use a metal shield are the ones you need to stay clear of.

The difference is that both of those use a cone, which hangs down lower in the air box, so if you have the same level of water in both the airaid as you did stock, water would get past the cone filter in the airaid before it would in the stock. But to give airaid credit, they do have that slip cover that could go over the cone that is more water resistant than just the cone alone.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:45 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Roy you have been around cars for 43 years and have only run stock paper air filters? I call BS...
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by RoysRig
... after you wash your car. It just seems to run better.
I've noticed the same thing over the years. It's a good (and cheap) performance enhancer.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Smoke and mirrors,snake oil

So why doesn't every manufacturer put a "cold air intake" on all their vehicles? Aren't we in a time when everyone is concerned about fuel mileage? Chrysler could have saved millions on developing the Pentastar if they had just put a cold air and catback on the 3.8

"It is easier to deceive someone, than to convince them they have been deceived."
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by NHAkita
Roy you have been around cars for 43 years and have only run stock paper air filters? I call BS...
I never said I only ran stock paper air filters. If you go back a re-read, I said I can't tell a difference. And if I can't tell a difference than that means I've had to have had them in all of those right? The jeep is the first one I'm not even going to try a K&N in. Not worth the time or money in my opinion.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RoysRig
The difference is that both of those use a cone, which hangs down lower in the air box, so if you have the same level of water in both the airaid as you did stock, water would get past the cone filter in the airaid before it would in the stock. But to give airaid credit, they do have that slip cover that could go over the cone that is more water resistant than just the cone alone.
Yes, the cone filter hangs down lower than the stock flat filter but the actual intake location is the same. So, water infiltration will remain the same as stock. Anyways, we're talking about maybe 2" that the cone filter is below the stock one. Splitting hairs at this point.
I have owned 7 GMC pickups(both gas and diesel) since I first got my license. I installed both intakes and exhausts in all of them, and I can tell you that you can definitely gain HP/torque from a quality intake. I'm not sure I understand how you don't know that being a car guy as you say you are. As for our Jeeps performance gains, not sure if the 3.6 pentastar will see any gains due to the stock intake being pretty well engineered?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by troyoffroad
Yes, the cone filter hangs down lower than the stock flat filter but the actual intake location is the same. So, water infiltration will remain the same as stock. Anyways, we're talking about maybe 2" that the cone filter is below the stock one. Splitting hairs at this point.
I have owned 7 GMC pickups(both gas and diesel) since I first got my license. I installed both intakes and exhausts in all of them, and I can tell you that you can definitely gain HP/torque from a quality intake. I'm not sure I understand how you don't know that being a car guy as you say you are. As for our Jeeps performance gains, not sure if the 3.6 pentastar will see any gains due to the stock intake being pretty well engineered?
First off the airaid I looked at the cone fills the air box almost completely filled it. So 2 inches? I think not!
I can't find a good cut out of the airaid for the 2012 but this still is a good example.
Click image for larger version

Name:	33926-md.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	409004

And your going to sit there and tell me that because you added "Both intake and exhaust" that this is going to prove that there was performance gains? That's like me saying that I added a v8 and a intake and said that the gain only came from the intake and not the v8. And you should know then, that if you have more air coming in then you need more room for air to go out. If the exhaust is not emptied fast enough, naturally aspirated intake size isn't going to matter one damn bit. That would be where your exhaust came into play. But I still say your exhaust is where you got your all most all of your gains.

Now as for why the tone difference in the aftermarket air intakes that make people think they have more horsepower, is from the elimination of the baffles that manufactures add to make the vehicle more quite. And if I add an after market intake it would be for this reason alone. Getting rid of the factory baffles does clean up the engine compartment and make more room for other things like a air tank, or supercharger. People hear this tone difference and immediately think they got more horsepower. Show me the actual dyno results! Even the manufacture(k&n) can only claim "Up to +8 hp increase" Yea this is true if you have supporting mods like bigger mass airflow meter, bigger intake cam lobes, bigger intake manifold, larger CID. Don't you think that the manufacture who is under the gun to make for better gas mileage and more horsepower wouldn't have added this to begin with if it worked?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deertick
so i have a 2012 wrangler sport with basically no performance mods, only thing is a gibson catback dual exhaust. i was looking at the Banks ram air intake and cancelled my order after reading it wasnt worth it to get.... so is it worth it to get that or just upgrade the filter on the stock intake? or any better ones? just need some ideas
Every CAI thread ends up in the same place and it's all subjective unless you're going to jump on a Dyno. Only way you'll ever really know is to drop it in there and try it for yourself.

I have a Banks CAI and a Dynomax exhaust on my '12. I'm happy with it and the combo sounds a whole lot better than stock in my opinion. No idea if there's an actual difference in power by the numbers, but I feel like there's a little more there. Would add that the sound of the intake and exhaust together is better than either alone. Doubt you got the Gibson for HP and MPG gains... but I bet it sounds sweet. Worst case scenario is this'll just compliment the sound.

If you have the extra cash why not try it? Otherwise that's 1/2 a set of Trucklites and pretty sure most people will tell you (myself included) those are worth every penny.

Keep us posted with what you decide.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:37 AM
JK Newbie

damn look what i started....haha

im not trying to get HP out of it, more so just a better sound with the combo of that and my exhaust. if i put in a KandN drop filter on it do you think that will change the tone of my exhaust? or change it enough to the point that it's worth it?

Quick Reply: Cold Air Intake....Yes/No?