Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Dodge charger springs.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge charger springs.

My buddy lowered his charger, so he's got his stock springs laying around. I grabbed a rear one today and matched it up to my stock fronts. They are a few inches longer than my spring and 2inch spacer while its uncompressed. So I would imagine that when compressed they will still be 2.5-3 inches longer than stock front springs. They look as if they will fit in the stock location and they are thicker and beefier than the JKs. Which makes sense because they're mopar springs, and they're made to handle a car with a V8. I'm going to try to swap them in next week. If all goes well I might be able to ditch my 2inch pucks for 3 inch coils for free.

So does anybody think there will be any issues? Has anyone done this before?
Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will need more than just springs to lift three inches. Stock shocks will be nearly out of travel for starters.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ncb
You will need more than just springs to lift three inches. Stock shocks will be nearly out of travel for starters.
Well as I said I already have 2inch pucks, so I have most of the other stuff needed.

I have an adjustable RK front track bar, terraflex extended disco, good up to 4inches, skyjacker shocks, good up to a 3inch lift, extended bump stops, and I will be purchasing adjustable LCAs in a week or two. So the only thing I'd need is brake lines, and eventually a flipped drag/raised track mount. But I could survive without one.

I was more asking if the whole rear charger spring to front jeep spring could cause issues.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I am reading it right, and by the looks of his signature, He already has 2" lift with Nitro shocks, It sounds like he is trying to ditch the stock springs and Pucks, for springs only. Swap them out and let us know how the ride is!
Old 04-23-2013, 05:15 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c4bus

Well as I said I already have 2inch pucks, so I have most of the other stuff needed.

I have an adjustable RK front track bar, terraflex extended disco, good up to 4inches, skyjacker shocks, good up to a 3inch lift, extended bump stops, and I will be purchasing adjustable LCAs in a week or two. So the only thing I'd need is brake lines, and eventually a flipped drag/raised track mount. But I could survive without one.

I was more asking if the whole rear charger spring to front jeep spring could cause issues.
My bad. On the app and couldn't see your profile. If the springs fit in the perches try it out. Only one way to know if it will work.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:19 PM
JK Freak

Good luck, if this works you'll create a whole new market for charger springs lol.

Sent using my SuperSmartThinky Phone
Old 04-23-2013, 05:22 PM
JK Freak

My opinion....the spring rates are going to be vastly different. Even if they don't sag, I think the ride will not be good.

I look forward to your results and admire your willingness to experiment.

That being said....when doing a mild lift....springs are typically one of the less expensive items to upgrade. Shocks and control arms is where the $$$ are spent.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rays0852
My opinion....the spring rates are going to be vastly different. Even if they don't sag, I think the ride will not be good. .
Thats my concern also. Hopefully it works out for you, I just have a suspicious feeling that the spring rates are going to be way off.
Old 04-23-2013, 05:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can use factory springs from a 05 F150 to get 5" of lift
Old 04-23-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Worst case they don't fit and I'm right back where I am now. After I get LCAs I was planning on getting RK 2.5 coils anyway. Best case I saved myself a few hundred bucks and got free coils.

Quick Reply: Dodge charger springs.