Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Does this seem fair?

Old 11-23-2014, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've always driven with open differentials throughout every winter. I'm from the most northern point of West Virginia so we get a good amount of snow combined with the wonderful hills. You don't need a lsd or lockers to drive in the snow. If your only concern is that, then I myself don't see the point in paying the extra money.
Old 11-23-2014, 01:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Bigcharlie58
I've always driven with open differentials throughout every winter. I'm from the most northern point of West Virginia so we get a good amount of snow combined with the wonderful hills. You don't need a lsd or lockers to drive in the snow. If your only concern is that, then I myself don't see the point in paying the extra money.
Snow isn't my main concern, just something to keep in mind for the winters here. I want the locker for trail use. I justified my jeep based in winters anyways, so I'm sure it'll be fine
Old 11-23-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JK505

Snow isn't my main concern, just something to keep in mind for the winters here. I want the locker for trail use. I justified my jeep based in winters anyways, so I'm sure it'll be fine
I had open diffs in New England (plenty of snow) and lifted with big mt tires (trail grapplers) and I was always so surprised how bad my jeep did on snowy/icy roads. Especially dangerous turning off roads and even more so if there were hills involved. For example if i was coming down a street that was even a slight downhill and turned off it the weight of my jeep and lack of good traction would have me up on lawns and curbs. It was embarrassing considering I was in a jeep. I discovered after some research that a lot of people had similar experiences with MT tires. After getting Detroit truetracs front and rear its like a whole different Jeep. I wont slide if I try. Offroad they are pretty darn good too. I would trutrac the front if I were you since you'll be doing gears anyway.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:48 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm looking at regearing my JKX to 4.56 from 3.21 and putting a trutrac LSD up front

so you know what? ... I'm leaving it open.

I'll put an LSD up next winter and tell you what I noticed.
Another consideration is that going from 3.21's to 3.73 or higher, you are buying a new open carrier to fit the new gears. So your plan (as of now, which will change at least 5 more times in the next week...) is paying for the front regear 'plus' paying for the new open carrier - and then next year paying for the new traction device, throwing away the new open carrier you just bought, and paying the exact same labor charge you are paying now for the gears only. Hmm...

Just makes your head spin, doesn't it.
Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Another consideration is that going from 3.21's to 3.73 or higher, you are buying a new open carrier to fit the new gears. So your plan (as of now, which will change at least 5 more times in the next week...) is paying for the front regear 'plus' paying for the new open carrier - and then next year paying for the new traction device, throwing away the new open carrier you just bought, and paying the exact same labor charge you are paying now for the gears only. Hmm... Just makes your head spin, doesn't it.
I knew I'd need to have a new carrier put it. I'm not sure I've put this much thought in something before. I'll probably surprise myself with whatever I do. (It's a few months off) I was just looking at what to expect to spend so I can save up accordingly.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK505
I knew I'd need to have a new carrier put it. I'm not sure I've put this much thought in something before. I'll probably surprise myself with whatever I do. (It's a few months off) I was just looking at what to expect to spend so I can save up accordingly.
Check out this thread https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...t-rear-112673/
Old 11-24-2014, 08:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tooadvanced
I've never once seen anyone complain about a LSD up front on ice or snow. Lockers yes. Actually most ppl agree LSD help in snow or ice.
Wasnt knocking the LSD. He originally was going to put a Detroit in the rear, they suck on ice.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Maybe you need a little more research? The truetrac is owned by Eaton, the same people that make the detroit locker, and there is no 'non-Eaton' truetrac. (Tractech used to make the truetrac until Eaton bought the company 10 years ago.)

The truetrac uses helical gears, not clutches. Clutches wear out when tires spin offroad, the gears in the truetrac do not. I can't comment on how 'independent' it was, but here is some independent testing on the various limited slips.
http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcS...Name=CT_139762

And as far as truetrac being a wise decision goes - it completely depends on individual opinion, budget and use. If someone 'needs' a locker, there is no substitute. But realistically, how many of the hundred thousand members of this site actually 'need' lockers? Ya know, the people who spend a significant portion of their offroad time with tires in the air? 5%? 2%? Less? For the vast majority of people, a pair of truetracs will be all the traction they will ever need. And if you read a few dozen of the truetrac related threads, you will see people with them are following people with selectable lockers with no issues at all. For the price point (a 'pair' of truetracs cost less $$ than a 'single' selectable locker), the truetrac is a great traction device, and well worth considering. But it certainly doesn't have the bling factor of being able to brag about your selectable lockers ...
" Clutches wear out when tires spin offroad"? Really? Having a locker is more about true traction in an off road situation than about having a tire in the air. If you are putting in lockers because you are worried about having a tire in the air, maybe you should step back and look at investing in a suspension that would keep your tires on the ground. Lockers are for extreme off road situations, not everyday driving. If you think a Truetrack will follow a locked up similar equipped, you are mistaken. Buy for your driving needs or wants. Too many people giving their ideas as advice.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:15 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Todd
" Clutches wear out when tires spin offroad"? Really? Having a locker is more about true traction in an off road situation than about having a tire in the air. If you are putting in lockers because you are worried about having a tire in the air, maybe you should step back and look at investing in a suspension that would keep your tires on the ground. Lockers are for extreme off road situations, not everyday driving. If you think a Truetrack will follow a locked up similar equipped, you are mistaken. Buy for your driving needs or wants. Too many people giving their ideas as advice.
So the clutches in limited slips don't wear out with offroad use? Interesting. Care to offer any proof to counter what people have been finding for years and years?

I have run a pair of detroits, a front truetrac/rear detroit, a pair of truetracs, and now a pair of air lockers, so yes, I do realize that there is a difference in the way they function. You seem to have ignored the statement that if someone needs a locker, there is no substitute. But you automatically assume that, what, everyone must have a locker if they go offroad? It may come as a big shock to you, but people do in fact have no issues offroad with a pair of truetracs, and as many truetrac owners on this site have stated in the past, they haven't had any problems following people with lockers. It just depends on the specific trails, and the specific needs of the user. The gentleman from dyanatrac related a great story on it, shouldn't be too hard for you find. On a lockers-mandatory group run, he listened to all the other vehicles cycling their lockers all day long, and, wow, he had no issues running the entire day with nothing but his truetrac based limiteds. Which pretty much mirrors my experience with them in both axles. Extreme terrain with lifted tires, lockers win. For the majority of people on the majority of the trails they will be on, nothing at all wrong with truetracs...
Old 11-25-2014, 12:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

So the clutches in limited slips don't wear out with offroad use? Interesting. Care to offer any proof to counter what people have been finding for years and years?

I have run a pair of detroits, a front truetrac/rear detroit, a pair of truetracs, and now a pair of air lockers, so yes, I do realize that there is a difference in the way they function. You seem to have ignored the statement that if someone needs a locker, there is no substitute. But you automatically assume that, what, everyone must have a locker if they go offroad? It may come as a big shock to you, but people do in fact have no issues offroad with a pair of truetracs, and as many truetrac owners on this site have stated in the past, they haven't had any problems following people with lockers. It just depends on the specific trails, and the specific needs of the user. The gentleman from dyanatrac related a great story on it, shouldn't be too hard for you find. On a lockers-mandatory group run, he listened to all the other vehicles cycling their lockers all day long, and, wow, he had no issues running the entire day with nothing but his truetrac based limiteds. Which pretty much mirrors my experience with them in both axles. Extreme terrain with lifted tires, lockers win. For the majority of people on the majority of the trails they will be on, nothing at all wrong with truetracs...
clutches in limited slips can and will eventually wear out even if the vehical is never driven off road. The statement you made of offroad tire spinning wearing out the clutches just had me scratching my head.. you also made it out that the only people who need lockers are those who lift a tire while wheeling. I just have to disagree. Each to their own, just not following your thinking. For on road driving in slick conditions, black ice, snow packed highways etc. I would go with a limited slip/truetrac any day over lockers. But when it comes to my offroad adventures nothing but selectable lockers here.. Carry on

Quick Reply: Does this seem fair?