Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engo Winch Install Fail

Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engo Winch Install Issue

Everything is wired correctly. Turned Jeep on, disengaged winch out, pulled out about 5 feet of rope, hooked up controller, engage in, hit button... nothing.

Ideas? I'm at a loss. Broke it down, rewired everything... still nothing.

Thanks

Last edited by tymonster; 01-09-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bad switch in the controller or maybe a broken wire. Use a meter and check continuity on the controller harness.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Newbie

Will it spool out under power, either? That would tell if the switch is bad. Also, I have the Engo 9000S and missed a ground wire that is up underneath the passenger side housing of the winch, as you look at it on the bumper. Had a hell of a time hooking that wire up. If I remember right, I had to take it off the bumper or at least loosen it to get my hand up under there. But without that ground it won't run.

Also, if no luck, call Engo. I had an issue with mine when pulling a small tree that fell down in my backyard. It would not spool in. Ended up yanking the tree out with a strap then picked it up by hand, it was that light. The winch had broken inside the housing. It still spun, but wouldn't bring the line in.

Engo hooked me up with a new improved bell housing, a new roller ( the part the line wraps around) and a brand new winch cable, which I took off and put my synthetic on the new roller.
Then when I put it back together I did it wrong, so it still wouldn't turn. joel at Engo walked me through it over the phone, and it's worked like a champ since.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MarkinOhio
Will it spool out under power, either? That would tell if the switch is bad. Also, I have the Engo 9000S and missed a ground wire that is up underneath the passenger side housing of the winch, as you look at it on the bumper. Had a hell of a time hooking that wire up. If I remember right, I had to take it off the bumper or at least loosen it to get my hand up under there. But without that ground it won't run.

Also, if no luck, call Engo. I had an issue with mine when pulling a small tree that fell down in my backyard. It would not spool in. Ended up yanking the tree out with a strap then picked it up by hand, it was that light. The winch had broken inside the housing. It still spun, but wouldn't bring the line in.

Engo hooked me up with a new improved bell housing, a new roller ( the part the line wraps around) and a brand new winch cable, which I took off and put my synthetic on the new roller.
Then when I put it back together I did it wrong, so it still wouldn't turn. joel at Engo walked me through it over the phone, and it's worked like a champ since.
It won't spool out or in, no power. I got the ground wire on the bottom of the winch... was a pain but I got it. Did you ground two there? I put both the very thin one attached to the winch itself and also the long black wire coming from the negative on the battery... maybe that's my issue?
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tymonster
Everything is wired correctly. Turned Jeep on, disengaged winch out, pulled out about 5 feet of rope, hooked up controller, engage in, hit button... nothing.

Ideas? I'm at a loss. Broke it down, rewired everything... still nothing.

Thanks
Same thing happened to the "robo winch" my dad got off ebay.... I asked the seller for a new control box, he sent it with no problems and the winch works great now..... The box the remote plugs into was bad.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember right there should only be one thin black wire going to the ground screw on the bottom of the housing from the control box. Then your + and - to the battery. If you have 2 wires running to that ground screw that's your problem. I have the engo 9000 and love it
Old 01-05-2013, 03:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jksearles
If I remember right there should only be one thin black wire going to the ground screw on the bottom of the housing from the control box. Then your + and - to the battery. If you have 2 wires running to that ground screw that's your problem. I have the engo 9000 and love it
I have two black wires (the thin one attached to the winch and the thick one attached to the negative on the battery) going to that ground on the bottom of the winch. That's what the instructions said to do. I guess I can try and ground one somewhere else and see if that works.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:42 AM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default winch

These are the reasons I only buy what I think is the best in the industry . Just imagine hanging off an edge of a cliff and having to depend on that winch ! I would send the piece of crap back , tell them to pound sand , then go buy the best ! Imagine buying a new winch and have to fix it right out of the box !
Old 01-05-2013, 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

My Engo is due Monday. Hope it's OK.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is pretty sad you install it on your Jeep it doesn't work your life and your rig may rely on that. I'm glad I went warn

Quick Reply: Engo Winch Install Fail