Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engo Winch Install Fail

Old 01-05-2013, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same happen to me when I removed my Mile Marker winch off my KJ and put it on my JK. One of the connections were't tight and it didn't work. Tightened all connections down and it worked.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

I hooked mine up according to these instructions:

http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/...pdf?1299773251

I just missed the connection underneath until I had the winch mounted. I think they should tell you to hook those wires up before you bolt the winch to the bumper.

I also have been wheeling with someone whose Warn winch failed when she needed it. It wasn't a life or rig critical deal, a tug got her out. She has a 2011, and this was in 2012, so the winch wasn't terribly old or anything.

So to say Warns NEVER fail is pure BS. Also, if you install something and don't check it out in the driveway BEFORE going wheeling, such as one of the posters suggested, that isn't very smart.

Hope you make out alright, OP. let us know.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is what I posted in another thread. Hope it helps.

O
riginally Posted by NewOldSchool
I got my 12k winch last night, Thanks Chris...But...

I installed it last night, hooked it up and it does not work. I triple checked all wires, Checked ground continuity and all checked out ok. I think i might have a defective hand control. Any other suggestions? I need this baby up and running for the dessert run this weekend. By the way mine also hits the grill pretty bad, might have to find a way to remount the box. I have a smittybuilt src bumper.
----------
Dumb question... but do you have the little black wire that runs from the box to the ground on the bottom of the winch motor? It's the same location that you would attach the ground that goes back to the battery (referred to Terminal A in the installation instructions)? I couldn't tell from your picture.

Click here to view the instructions (see page 5)
Old 01-05-2013, 01:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by gunbo75
That is pretty sad you install it on your Jeep it doesn't work your life and your rig may rely on that. I'm glad I went warn
Same here...although i know a lot of guys that have Engo and are very happy with them. I am glad i spent the extra cash on the Warn...
Old 01-05-2013, 02:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like I said earlier, I've had 0 issues with my Engo and would gladly buy it again. All mechanical pieces can fail at so e point. And yes warn us great but I know people that have had issues with them as well.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everything is hooked up correctly. I talked to joel at engo today and he said its either a bad controller or a wire in the solenoid might be disconnected or shorted. Just got to CO a few hours ago so have to wait until the morning to check it out.

Hopefully there's just a popped wire in the solenoid thats an easy fix. Could've used it tonight already ... had to tow my brother in laws grand prix up our cabins snow covered driveway
Old 01-05-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Engo makes a good winch, all winches will fail at some point in their life so the is a logical explanation for the problem. Hope you find it to be a very minor problem that is easily repaired, it's just not expected upon installation. Be sure to get the rest of the recovery gear, a winch is just the largest piece of your recovery gear kit.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Fixed!!! Checked out the internals of the controller and solenoid... all were fine. I went through again and reconnected the ground wire at the bottom and also all the wires on the motor. Not sure if there was just a bad initial connection but it works, perfectly.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you got it goin , engo is on my short list , read very good reviews
Old 01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

Glad you got it running. I'm sure you will love it!

I have used mine probably a dozen times on the trail and it works like a champ. I don't really think I have even made it breathe hard yet, it seems so strong. The biggest thing I have pulled so far was a beautiful Comanche one of the guys in my club has. I yanked him from behind out of a serious mud hole, and it was a piece of cake.

The only other "difficult" pull was a pretty built JKU that had bottomed out in a nice rock crawl. He also had a 4 people riding with him. Again, it was so easy it wasn't funny! Have fun wheelin'.

Quick Reply: Engo Winch Install Fail