Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

ESP on or on

Old 04-17-2008, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmos
Not to sound like the Ninny here but time Out Folks!
As I read through this thread I am getting more and more incredulous....Not to sound like a smartass here but has anyone considered the design of the ESP system and what it's designed for... perhaps even why for normal on-road driving you might want to LEAVE ESP ON?

It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the stability systems becoming standard in cars and trucks and Jeeps is starting to save many lives on our highways. (You can google it for yourselves if 'ya don't believe me).

Something like 40,000 Americans die in wrecks every year.

(Some food for thought before you disable the system for on-road use.)

Please Drive Safely!

the problem is that with the jeep lifted and bigger tires . i have the esp come on when i dont want it to ,when im going around corners ,like off ramps. so it is a hassle to have the breaks come on when you dont want them to. thats why i want it off.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:18 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blockrockin
the problem is that with the jeep lifted and bigger tires . i have the esp come on when i dont want it to ,when im going around corners ,like off ramps. so it is a hassle to have the breaks come on when you dont want them to. thats why i want it off.
Very true

As I read through this thread I am getting more and more incredulous....Not to sound like a smartass here but has anyone considered the design of the ESP system and what it's designed for... perhaps even why for normal on-road driving you might want to LEAVE ESP ON?

It does not take a rocket scientist to realize that the stability systems becoming standard in cars and trucks and Jeeps is starting to save many lives on our highways. (You can google it for yourselves if 'ya don't believe me).

Please Drive Safely!
Read what the guy above wrote.... He's correct. The ESP computer is given incorrect information once the jeep becomes modified, therefore, the computer does not react in the manner in which it was intended.

A few days ago I had to step on it in order to take a left turn to get through traffic. There was a small gravel patch underneath my rear tire in which i paid no attention to. When I accelerated into on coming traffic one of my wheels barely broke loose because of the gravel and the the computer started stalling my jeep when indeed I truley needed more power. This caused me to almost get into a wreck... Or actually cause a wreck. It scared the doo-doo out of me! The stall took a few seconds and in those few seconds I could have been safely across the road in any other vehicle. BAD stuff!!! The computer is OVERLY protective and almost cost me a new Jeep and someone else's car at a very minimum.

Another thing is the on-ramp, off-ramping once you get a lift and tires becomes just plain STUPID. The computer won't let you speed-up as you normally would around a long turn without slowing you down to 20-ish. I hate the thing!!! It almost got me hurt trying to protect me. It would be different if it worked for what it was intended for.

Last edited by bOLsAK=3; 04-17-2008 at 04:21 AM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Please Drive Safely!
well i dont want to sound like a smartass. people like you have give jeep a bad name. esp blows!!!! i have crashed a jeep before and have owned 4 rubi's now. i have never had a problem untill i got a new jk. all i got to say is that ive been thrown off the road more times than i can count because esp on my jeep and i refuse to let gf drive it because of esp. by the way where you from ? imo
useing brakes is what causes alot of jeep roll overs. and abs dont even go there
i was 20 when this happened.there was 4 people in the jeep no top on it and no one got hurt just my pride. i hit a tree sideways and fliped off a bank landing on my top jeep ran wide open till it blew. lol i think esp in that wreck would have been a lot worse
Old 04-17-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sw0cb
This is not completly true. On later 07s and all 08s there is a code that you are given in the factory manual that completly disables esp until you enter the code in again. Thats what I did since i can't find any reason to have esp on on the road.
Shannanagin's!!!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Flatland Crawlin'
Aussie, et al,

I feel (well, felt ) you're pain. Here's a link to the thread dealing with installing the toggle switch:https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ontra+code+esp

For anyone out there with an '08, you can follow the procedure below, found in the owner's manual. It takes a few tries to make it work, I've found, but it completely disables the ESP without having to lose your anti-lock brakes or risk the dealer bitching about warranty violations.

" The following procedure will disable ( or re-enable) ESP functionality in the vehicle.
1. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position.
2. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
3. Cycle the ignition key OFF to ON.
4. Wait approximately five seconds for the system bulb check.
5. Turn and hold the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).
6. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
7. Turn the steering wheel back to center, and turn and hold an additional one-half turn left (counterclockwise).
8. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
9. Turn the steering wheel back to center.
10. Press and hold the ESP OFF button for seven seconds.
11. Cycle the ignition key to OFF.

After performing the ESP disable procedure correctly, "ESP OFF" will be displayed in the odometer for approximately 12 seconds each time the ignition is move to ON. Repeating the ESP disable procedure will re-enable normal ESP operation."

Best of luck.

--C
OK... I tried this a few times and nothing.... I feel like there is an important piece of information missing.

I did what it said to the T. I found a couple of interesting facts as I did this procedure.
1: If you hold the ESP button for 10sec. straight it will turn back on
2: If you hold it for 5sec. it will turn off
3: If you read your directions, it says to hold ESP OFF button for 7sec. then hold ESP OFF again after you turn the wheel... Doesn't it have to come back on before you turn it off again

I think we're close here.... There has got to be just that one vital piece of info missing.

How about taking a look at what was written and rethinking the procedure?
Old 04-17-2008, 05:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not to sound like the Ninny here ...

If a person knowingly and intentionally decides to take control over his own vehicle and drive it without the aid of the gadgets, more power to them.

Second, do you have any data to back this statement up "... is starting to save many lives on our highways." If I google I see lots and lots of data from the manufactures of these systems, and even more propaganda from the car manufactures and news organizations that picked up up on the propaganda. I see nothing about real numbers.

Like many wonderful things added to vehicles in the last 10 years I suspect when all the statistics are on the page we will find a tiny benefit. Years ago my insurance company stopped giving discounts for ABS. Their excuse? When the years of the data was evaluated ABS equipped cars got in no fewer accidents than non-ABS equipped cars. OR put another way, ABS works just fine. But people can find a way to get in just as many crashes with the vehicles that have it.

I'll throw in my made up data for fun. "Most accidents are caused by inattentive or careless driving. Most of the accidents occur when a vehicle leaves the roadway, drives into the path of another moving vehicle, or one vehicle drives directly into another vehicle. These actions are hard to prevent because they are caused by the direct input of the driver that causes the accident. The reason ABS, ESP, and other systems of this nature don't significantly reduce accidents is because they only help the driver operate the vehicle at (near) its physical handling and braking limits. Since most vehicles are well within their physical limits when driver input causes an accident, they don't help prevent accidents very often. Unless we ignore the driver's direct input and let computers completely take over driving the vehicle, people will find a way to crash the vehicles at or near the current rates. " Fake data completed.
Old 04-17-2008, 05:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by sw0cb
This is not completly true. On later 07s and all 08s there is a code that you are given in the factory manual that completly disables esp until you enter the code in again. Thats what I did since i can't find any reason to have esp on on the road.
Either provide the code or we'll all just have to assume that you're making this up...
Old 04-17-2008, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

ESP is a pain....I have the same problem on offramps..The brakes engage when I don't want them to.
Old 04-17-2008, 06:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

i have a 08 and it not in my manual
Old 04-17-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by flip2spin23
i have a 08 and it not in my manual
Check the case your manual came in, there may be a yellow addendum card.

Quick Reply: ESP on or on