Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
View Poll Results: Do you like it or despise it?
Greatest thing since sliced
53.06%
Plain ole sucks!
46.94%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

How do you like your Trektop?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had mine on and off all Summer. It's absolutely 95% perfect. No issues whatsoever. It takes 5 minutes to remove, roll up and stow behind the seats. It takes 5 minutes to put back on - not much easier than that except maybe a factory top with the frame. Being able to roll it up in a blanket and stash it out of the way behind the seats and have it available if the weather changes is a blessing.

The only things I would change (if Bestop asked) would be how it connects to the front of the door surrounds and how it attaches over the tailgate. It's harder to get the little metal rod into the small sleeve but that means I could install it in 4 minutes if that was changed. At the tailgate you either have to velcro it down or install the tailgate bar - which I have. There is a little gapping in the bottom corners of the rear window when closed that lets in a little water. The old systems we had all snapped to the body of the Wrangler all the way around. That was functional but a real pain to manage all the snaps. All-in-all this is as near perfect as you'll find.

Overall you can not buy a better, nicer looking or more functional soft top without spending twice as much. Even then you'll get about the same. The materials and workmanship are great.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 08-22-2009 at 10:39 AM.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
I've had mine on and off all Summer. It's absolutely 95% perfect. No issues whatsoever. It takes 5 minutes to remove, roll up and stow behind the seats. It takes 5 minutes to put back on - not much easier than that except maybe a factory top with the frame. Being able to roll it up in a blanket and stash it out of the way behind the seats and have it available if the weather changes is a blessing.

The only things I would change (if Bestop asked) would be how it connects to the front of the door surrounds and how it attaches over the tailgate. It's harder to get the little metal rod into the small sleeve but that means I could install it in 4 minutes if that was changed. At the tailgate you either have to velcro it down or install the tailgate bar - which I have. There is a little gapping in the bottom corners of the rear window when closed that lets in a little water. The old systems we had all snapped to the body of the Wrangler all the way around. That was functional but a real pain to manage all the snaps. All-in-all this is as near perfect as you'll find.

Overall you can not buy a better, nicer looking or more functional soft top without spending twice as much. Even then you'll get about the same. The materials and workmanship are great.
Steve,
How do you roll yours up? I've been undoing the header from the windshield and rolling to the middle rollbar and folding the windows over the top and rolling up the rest of the way to the back of the Jeep. I just leave this in the garage like this. Do you undo the header and fold again before rolling it up?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 08-22-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by woffles
Steve,
How do you roll yours up? I've been undoing the header from the windshield and rolling to the middle rollbar and folding the windows over the top and rolling up the rest of the way to the back of the Jeep. I just leave this in the garage like this. Do you undo the header and fold again before rolling it up?

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff, I do about the same. I undo the top then roll the header back to the back of the doors and flip the sides up over the rear-end top. I then lift the top off and set it on my blanket. I roll the header back with the blanket which pads the windows as you roll it up. Once its rolled up I lay it behind the seats, or stand it up in the garage and ................that's it. Additionally, once I start rolling the header back with the blanket, I lay in the rear window and it's all in one nice tidy package.

When I put it on I simply fold up the blanket and lay it on the husky mat in the back.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:40 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had mine since April and overall it has been great. Starting to see a little wear and the velcro is letting go. Bestop has been great to deal with, they replaced the back window when the top arrived with a scratched window. very few leaks so i'm happy with the top. will be calling them now that the velcro is shot.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

I like mine so far. Inexpensive & looks good. Haven't had it out in a monsoon yet....
Old 08-22-2009, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Ive been using the new version they sent me and it works great. No leaks and just a little wind noise coming through the header. Im going to start rolling mine up like you guys are doing. I have the old version also, thats the one i keep in the jeep when the top is off. I just have that piece of crap folded any old way. Its will work if i get caught in the rain with the top off.

corey d
Old 09-04-2009, 05:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Pictures of rolled up Trektop please!

Pastorsteve/Woffles,

If its not a big deal can you post the pictures of how you roll it up, how the rolled up "package" looks and also how it fits in the back with the header bar. To be honest, I am having a tough time taking the top down (10-15 mins) and putting it back on (~25 mins). I was so frustrated with the whole "going topless" process, I have been thinking of returning it and buying a factory top or a supertop. But, I love the trektop look and its cost, so will be great if I can make it work.

It will be awesome if I can take it off and put it back on, all in 15/20 mins. Thanks in advance for any help.

@ Stupidface, I believe you now that some people roll their trektops and store it in the back .

Last edited by Jpster; 09-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Newbie

Default My trials and travails with the Trektop :-)

I just came back after trying the the rolling method. Got the whole top down in 10 mins. Removing the rear window clamps and unhooking it took like 3-4 mins. I rolled the top as suggested above. Since I didnt want the top to get dirty, didnt lay it on the ground. I didnt have a blanket with me either, so rolled the whole top while it rested on the roll cage. Here are the photos of it sitting in the back. Due to the header's length, it sticks out of the jeep as seen. Is that the same with you guys ?

Getting back the top on was not as easy, though I got better at it. Took me slightly under 20 mins. Rear window was a PITA again , which took me around 10 mins. The j-hooks, the zipper and the clamps ate my time. Clamped it first, realized the zipper wont attach, so tried to remove the clamps, but they wouldnt budge. After all the trials I wish the j-hook was facing outside to the back, rather than inside and the zipper should zip from bottom up. Or maybe they should remove the whole j-hook and mimic zipper in the factory soft top.

Some of you guys get the top off and on in 5 mins each ? How in the world do you guys do it? If you guys can help me with tips and tricks to do it faster that would be awesome .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0238.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	29622   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	29623   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	29624  
Old 09-09-2009, 09:59 PM
JK Freak

When I roll mine up. I place it behind the front seats. Not the rear seat. Takes roughly 5 minutes off and maybe 10 at the most to put on. never really timed it.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

When I roll mine up I leave the tailgate bar in place and put the softop across the back and use 5 velcro strips to hold it in place against the bar. Looks like a normal softop rolled up in the back this way. Won't go anywhere and isn't in the way like this.

Quick Reply: How do you like your Trektop?