Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifting a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon

Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifting a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon

Im about to buy a 2012 unlimited rubicon and would like to have my parts list ready. I'm not new to owning or modifying Jeeps, I've had a CJ5, CJ7, and TJ, but never a JK. I'm planning on lifting it around 4" and want to clear 35-37" tires. Not sure what lift kit brand to use, I mainly want something with both upper and lower short control arms, and a decent ride with good articulation. I have very little experience with some of the new lift kit brands being offered for the JKs. I would just like to hear from some people who have installed suspension lifts on the 2012s. what brand did you go with, any opinion or advise, what drivelines, and how did you get past the exhaust loop issue? Also if anyone has used a programmer to allow use of the lockers and sway bar disconnects in 4hi or 2wd, how did that work out for you. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:22 PM
JK Newbie

I'm in the same boat as you. I've been reading the Teraflex, Rock Krawler, and AEV seem to be the lifts to look at. Not sure which one might be the best, AEV seems to have the best on-road reviews, yet still very capable off-road. Lets see what everyone else thinks.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

You have to move the exhaust back on the 2012's so the drive shaft doesn't hit. AFE makes a Y pipe that works well and for a cheaper option that works Tera Flex offers spacers. Rock Krawler makes a good quality lift and has great customer service. The kits I have had on JK's in the past rode great and I plan to install the 2.5 max flex on my 2012 4 door Rubi. I am just giving it a little time so I can work out the bugs before I lift it.
I had the 3.5 Mid arm pro on my last 4 door JK Rubi and it had more than enough room to clear 35's and is why I am going down to a 2.5 just something to think about. The lower you are the less maintenance on the driveline the higher you go the more. Good luck with your build!
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rupie
I'm in the same boat as you. I've been reading the Teraflex, Rock Krawler, and AEV seem to be the lifts to look at. Not sure which one might be the best, AEV seems to have the best on-road reviews, yet still very capable off-road. Lets see what everyone else thinks.
What I have noticed amongst the three is that Tera offers a kit with bumps but there springs are softer and sag a little. Rock Krawler doesn't include bumps but has a lot better springs. AEV makes a good on road kit but the control arm brackets hang low and use the stock control arms which are weak.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:38 PM
JK Newbie

Ya I was looking into the AEV kit, but don't really want to use the stock control arms. I remember putting a Tera lift on my dads 08 Rubi and the control arms we pulled off were pretty weak looking stamped steel. Maybe an AEV kit with another brands adjustable control arms? Good advise looking into 2.5" lifts, i'm used to TJ's where you have to lift them 6" to clear 35s. I really want to see what project-JK uses on the Rubi-Cat, assuming it not something huge with 40" tires....
Old 01-15-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Freak

I have 2.5" teraflex lift and love it, I don't see any sag so far. Now I am no expert when it comes to mods as this is my first jeep I have done mods to, but after much reading and I mean a lot, here is what I am hearing about lifting 2012s. I'm sure I will be corrected but it is what I have read in many threads.

1. Have to do the y pipe or spacers for the exhaust after any lift. (y pipe will not work for 2dr)

2. More than 3" lift and you will eventually have to replace the front drive shaft, due to the angle of the DS.

3. 35" or larger tires and you will need to do the sleeves and gussets on the front axle.

4. To avoid the dead wobble you need to replace the bolts to a different size on the track bar, There is a thread on this, if you want it let me know and I'll find it.

5. Also heard with a lift you should replace the track bar.

I have not done any of the above yet and not sure what is really needed.....

Things to think about
Old 01-15-2012, 01:55 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
I have 2.5" teraflex lift and love it, I don't see any sag so far. Now I am no expert when it comes to mods as this is my first jeep I have done mods to, but after much reading and I mean a lot, here is what I am hearing about lifting 2012s. I'm sure I will be corrected but it is what I have read in many threads.

1. Have to do the y pipe or spacers for the exhaust after any lift. (y pipe will not work for 2dr)

2. More than 3" lift and you will eventually have to replace the front drive shaft, due to the angle of the DS.

3. 35" or larger tires and you will need to do the sleeves and gussets on the front axle.

4. To avoid the dead wobble you need to replace the bolts to a different size on the track bar, There is a thread on this, if you want it let me know and I'll find it.

5. Also heard with a lift you should replace the track bar.

I have not done any of the above yet and not sure what is really needed.....

Things to think about

How does the Teraflex ride, I've been in a JK with a Teraflex 4" and it was a little stiff, but thats usually the case with any lift. Do you have plenty room for 35s while flexing or just on road? I've heard all of those except replacing the bolts on the track bar, also heard the driveshaft angles with more than 3" lifts is causing T-Case bearings to break up inside causing catastrophic failure and having to replace the t-case... not sure how common that is.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NavyCorpsman
How does the Teraflex ride, I've been in a JK with a Teraflex 4" and it was a little stiff, but thats usually the case with any lift. Do you have plenty room for 35s while flexing or just on road? I've heard all of those except replacing the bolts on the track bar, also heard the driveshaft angles with more than 3" lifts is causing T-Case bearings to break up inside causing catastrophic failure and having to replace the t-case... not sure how common that is.
I haven't done anything major off road but I think I have plenty of room. The TF is a bit stiff but I'm use to it.

Here's the thread about the bolts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...trol-arm-bolts

Good Luck!!
Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2BAJeep
I haven't done anything major off road but I think I have plenty of room. The TF is a bit stiff but I'm use to it.

Here's the thread about the bolts

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...trol-arm-bolts

Good Luck!!
Thanks, i'll have to look into Teraflex more, and have those bolts on hand when I eventually install a lift.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:39 PM
JK Newbie

My 2012 jku has 35s with 4" lift, so far so good no issues. It been a lot of fun so far, my only regret is i didn't get a rubi, wasn't thinking at the time that i was going to be doing any serious offroading and the rubi was going to cost a few dollars more, but even without the lockers its the most capable jeep that i have owned so far, cant wait to more mods.
Happy Wheel'n!!

Quick Reply: Lifting a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon