Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

More Power

Old 09-13-2013, 09:12 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 4syth1
Running 35's with A/T

Attachment 497096
I would try to find someone around your location that has gears in theirs and see if you could ride with them.
I have let folks drive my jeep with 5:38's and gears and they usually end up regearing to match there tire size.

As far as more power than that I am thinking a turbo would be better suited to my needs.
With 5:38's and a rubi case I feel like I have plenty of torque when crawling.
Riding down the interstate hitting hills is where it feels like a slug.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Philip *AZ*
New thread created for my question.
What's the tittle?
Old 09-13-2013, 05:38 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoinCamando

What's the tittle?
"Weird Power Loss on Sand Hills"
Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM
JK Newbie

I love the Ripp I have on my '11. Running 35's, 6 speed, and 4.88s and it is a lot of fun to drive. Regearing is a must since the SC needs power to provide power but combined with the SC it is a night and day difference. Have seen a thread on the Prodigy kit but haven't seen many write ups on it. Sprintex is another option but I went with Ripp and would do it again. PM me if you have any questions I'd be glad to help
Old 09-14-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Yes. Listen to a RIPP SC here on the Rescue Green JK. About 2:10 ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88zqOVAMqE
That supercharger is loud, but it is a good kind of loud. I like the sound it makes. If someone is interested in a supercharger they shouldn't let the noise stop them.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wanted the turbo until ripp a turbo kit company explained why they used a supercharger. The jeep can have heat problems and the turbo kit introduces more extremely hot pipes. The down pipe is inches away from the plastic radiator fan. This may be no big deal but if you wheel in hot weather like I do it can be concerning. Another thing is the turbo uses the engine oil which in a failure could put metal in the engine. The ripp kit is self contained. I have no experience with either kit but as a interested customer I wanted to share my reaserch.
Old 09-14-2013, 12:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Dahmer
I wanted the turbo until ripp a turbo kit company explained why they used a supercharger. The jeep can have heat problems and the turbo kit introduces more extremely hot pipes. The down pipe is inches away from the plastic radiator fan. This may be no big deal but if you wheel in hot weather like I do it can be concerning. Another thing is the turbo uses the engine oil which in a failure could put metal in the engine. The ripp kit is self contained. I have no experience with either kit but as a interested customer I wanted to share my reaserch.
Thats why the turbo has a heat blanket. Its highly unlikely you are going to have a turbo puke its internals. You would be more likely to have something in the engine let go first.. I think you need to do more reasearch. You sound like another RIPP fan boy. Exactly how drunk were you when you typed that last post? Yes, RIPP was first, but that doesnt mean best. There are plenty of choices now, Prodigy being the only turbo company right now. There will be more turbo kits soon, just like the supercharger race. Either way you go, supercharger or turbo you are going to pay a pretty penny. With the lag time so minimal in the Prodigy it makes the decision that much more personal. Both give great power and both give great results, but its really up to the buyer on what they want.

Last edited by Philip *AZ*; 09-14-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:54 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of the input.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:34 PM
JK Freak

Im not trying to start a major debate here, but do your research. You have multiple choices between superchargers (Sprintex being the most cost effective), but only one turbo choice with Prodigy Performance. Both are great choices for extra power and I have heard many many great things about both. I think only one person mentioned it, but you must not forget about regearing. Its the easiest, cheapest, and most effective way to get the power back in your rig. It should always be the first thing done when you start adding larger tires or even more weight to your rig. The ratio is definitely something to research as well. There are so many variables that a certain ratio may not be the same as what another rig is running. Im going with 4:88's because its the best option for what I use my rig for and because of how the roads and elevation changes around AZ. Its flat in some areas, while others have lots of hills plus Im only running a 35" tire and dont plan on going bigger. I have no use for the larger tire other than looks. Just do your research and take your time on your decision. Either way, a SC or Turbo kit is a lot of coin to drop without making sure you are making the best choice for YOUR use.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:59 PM
JK Freak

It took me a while to find it, but the Prodigy install I followed is here in JK-Forum. It was posted by Captaincalf. He did a really good job with install pics and other info. Here is a pic of what he installed in. Its a good thread, giver a look. It's titled turbocharging my 3.8.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-323717571.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	497468  

Last edited by Philip *AZ*; 09-15-2013 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: More Power