Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Prorock 44

Old 05-23-2017, 03:36 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prorock 44

Ok so I'm looking for anyone who has insight on an issue before I lose it. Within the past few months I bought a prorock 44 unlimited that was built by north ridge. Installed it myself drove it about 140 miles with no problem. Loaded it on a trailer headed for moab. The axles seals (yes both)started to leak while on the trailer?! And I mean a good amount. Being in moab I spoke to two people from dynatrac both stating that I must have tore the axle seals by putting in the shafts... fine I was a professional mechanic for about 10 years and have done plenty of seals with no problems. I get home and replace the seals myself as per dynatracs instructions. Drove about 100 miles and bam short tube side is leaking and now I'm just waiting for the long tube side to show signs of leaking. I've kept the original seals and they look perfectly fine no noticeable tears and nicks. Not sure if anyone has had an issue like this. Could this be a shaft diameter issue?
Old 05-23-2017, 04:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I too recently had one installed. My long side went to leaking after roughly 100mi on it. Dealer replaced and no additional issues thus far. Ill post up if I have more
Old 05-23-2017, 05:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ktoth87
Ok so I'm looking for anyone who has insight on an issue before I lose it. Within the past few months I bought a prorock 44 unlimited that was built by north ridge. Installed it myself drove it about 140 miles with no problem. Loaded it on a trailer headed for moab. The axles seals (yes both)started to leak while on the trailer?! And I mean a good amount. Being in moab I spoke to two people from dynatrac both stating that I must have tore the axle seals by putting in the shafts... fine I was a professional mechanic for about 10 years and have done plenty of seals with no problems. I get home and replace the seals myself as per dynatracs instructions. Drove about 100 miles and bam short tube side is leaking and now I'm just waiting for the long tube side to show signs of leaking. I've kept the original seals and they look perfectly fine no noticeable tears and nicks. Not sure if anyone has had an issue like this. Could this be a shaft diameter issue?
Those plastic guides were the source for my axle seal leaks. Next time you have the carrier out make sure one of those guides isn't lodged into the tube pressing against your axle seal
Old 05-23-2017, 05:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Oh and put plenty of grease on the splines before inserting the shafts back in. Do it gently while rotating. This sounds perverted indeed
Old 05-23-2017, 05:31 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ktoth87
Sorry to hear you're still having trouble. Let me see what I can find out to help get this resolved.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Silly question, but often it's something silly that ends up being the issue when you rule everything else out. What kind of shape is your vent hose in? Could it be plugged up allowing the diff to pressurize and then blow oil past the seals?

You said it started leaking on the trailer. What kind of elevation changes did you have between home and Moab? I'm assuming it didn't start leaking the minute it hit the trailer, but rather you noticed the leak when you got to Moab?

Where is your fluid level? Too high and you'll have seal issues as well.
Old 05-23-2017, 06:23 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Interesting. Had ours partially assembled by NR4x4 as well and installed recently but no issues here. Then again, running RCV's and extended breather lines up higher than the master cylinder.....

Old 05-23-2017, 09:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Breather tube is clear. Axle shafts ends were lightly covered in gear oil and rotated in. Fluid level is correct. Checked it numerous times. Elevation did change as I live in Rhode Island which is sea level and it started leaking on the trailer in ohio. It leaked the entire moab trip.

I'm thinking there is an issue with the shaft diameter possibly that's allowing the oil to pass by.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What knuckles are you running?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:46 AM
DJ1
Former Member

Originally Posted by Biginboca
What knuckles are you running?

Oh no, here it comes. The moment of truth....

Quick Reply: Prorock 44