Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prorock 44

Old 06-01-2017, 06:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Responding to the question earlier. Nitro chromoly shafts and ARB locker. So at this point I've cleaned out the tubes the best I can to make sure there is no residual fluid in the tubes. And sure enough 5 days later I have a slow leak. Granted it's a lot better than the old seals (went with off the shelf parts.) but still at the price paid I shouldn't be having this kind of trouble. Wether it's the housing or shaft I'm not sure. Next step is im going to remove the shaft and use a micrometer to measure the shaft and the seals to see if that's an issue. Any other input?
Old 06-01-2017, 10:31 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a PR44U, RCVs, OEM knuckles, Synergy balls, Eaton E-Locker, 15,000 miles and no leaks using Lucas axle grease. Assembled (aside from sliding RCVs in) by Northridge.
Old 06-01-2017, 12:07 PM
Former Vendor

Do you have 35 spline front shafts? Those can be problematic with the inner axle seals.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:50 PM
JK Newbie

No 30 spline
Old 06-01-2017, 07:30 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ktoth87
No 30 spline
Well...that excludes that theory. Very strange. Have you contacted the guys over at NR?
Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 PM
JK Newbie

I purchased it through a off road shop in Ohio. Which unknown to me they had north ridge build and ship it. They had told me to contact nitro to see what they say about the shaft size. At this point I'm getting no help from anyone. And have spent 5k on something that leaks. I never had these problems with my Dana 30. And replaced the seals once and shafts numerous times. I think my last resort is im going to pull it apart one last time to replace the seals again. And check the inner diameter of the seal and outer diameter of the shaft and see if that's it. What are you guys using to clean the old silicone of the seals outer surface?
Old 06-02-2017, 04:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I purchased it through a off road shop in Ohio. Which unknown to me they had north ridge build and ship it. They had told me to contact nitro to see what they say about the shaft size. At this point I'm getting no help from anyone. And have spent 5k on something that leaks. I never had these problems with my Dana 30. And replaced the seals once and shafts numerous times. I think my last resort is im going to pull it apart one last time to replace the seals again. And check the inner diameter of the seal and outer diameter of the shaft and see if that's it. What are you guys using to clean the old silicone of the seals outer surface?
I use a wire brush or cup brush on a drill.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Any time someone uses Dynatrac products and has issues, we’re concerned. ProRock 44s bought directly from and assembled by Dynatrac use our own US-made axleshafts with the highest quality seals available. Northridge is an excellent and valued reseller of Dynatrac products, and we have complete faith in the quality of their work when they build axle assemblies and that Northridge stands behind their work if problems occur.

We recommend contacting Northridge directly and let them coordinate with the shop you purchased the axle through to get this issue resolved. But please feel free to reach out to us directly by phone (714-421-4314) if you’re unsuccessful in resolving your leak issue and need further help.
Old 06-02-2017, 08:05 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Responding to the question earlier. Nitro chromoly shafts and ARB locker. So at this point I've cleaned out the tubes the best I can to make sure there is no residual fluid in the tubes. And sure enough 5 days later I have a slow leak. Granted it's a lot better than the old seals (went with off the shelf parts.) but still at the price paid I shouldn't be having this kind of trouble. Wether it's the housing or shaft I'm not sure. Next step is im going to remove the shaft and use a micrometer to measure the shaft and the seals to see if that's an issue. Any other input?
Sorry that you are having a problem. Just to be clear we build a ton of axles and have little to no problems. The seals are installed at the factory by dynatrac and we assemble the locker and gears. Then the customer or installer slides the shafts in the housing. At that point this will be the first time the seals have been touched . I highly recommend greasing the shaft and when installing it using a twisting motion to get through the seal.

with that said the pro rock 44 takes a special axle shaft and to my knowledge Nitro does not make this axle shaft but I could be wrong. My assumption is that you may have the wrong axle shafts in the housing which don't line up with the seal surface and it is causing the leak. again this is my assumption I don't know for sure.

David
Old 06-02-2017, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you north ridge I'll be giving nitro a call on Monday to veryify it's correct or not. Hopefully that's the issue.

Quick Reply: Prorock 44