Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Pros and Cons of a Snorkel

Old 10-09-2012, 09:58 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pros and Cons of a Snorkel

hey everyone.

just wondering what the pros and cons would be if i was to change my airaid intake for a AEV snorkel kit. ( mpg, performance ). i still have my stock air box and my almost brand new k&n replacement filter. i drive some dirty ass logging roads and canadian highways which dirty up my filter fast. just looking to relocate the intake to a cleaner path. thanks.

I'm pretty much sold on it , buttttttt we will see. ( hood cutting lol )
Old 10-09-2012, 10:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by courtsm3
hey everyone.

just wondering what the pros and cons would be if i was to change my airaid intake for a AEV snorkel kit. ( mpg, performance ). i still have my stock air box and my almost brand new k&n replacement filter. i drive some dirty ass logging roads and canadian highways which dirty up my filter fast. just looking to relocate the intake to a cleaner path. thanks.

I have only heard there good, moved the filter out of path of contaminates, we'll the Intake to a cleaner route and gives cooler air. No first hand experience though
Old 10-10-2012, 01:51 AM
JK Newbie

Any one know where you can get a snorkel for the 3.6L jeep jk can not find anything at all.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hysterical, I have an airaid and have been thinking the same thing for my 2011. I have been looking hard the past few weeks. The 3.6 should be out in a few weeks to answer your question. aev looks to be the first. I don't know if I would ever use it but it looks cool and having the security is nice
Old 10-10-2012, 02:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepin it
Any one know where you can get a snorkel for the 3.6L jeep jk can not find anything at all.
I believe River Raider offers their expedition snorkle for the 2012.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:30 AM
JK Junkie

The AEV snorkel is already out for the 3.6 motor. ARB is in production mode now and should be available any day now. That's the one I'm waiting on.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 AM
JK Super Freak

The only con is cuttng sheet metal- if that even bothers you.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by courtsm3
hey everyone.

There's only one con.

It looks stupid as hell.

A snorkel is designed to take in air above an almost completely submerged vehicle. Not for improved street performance/better filtration.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

You can also get a pre filter to help keep the dirt out in dusty conditions
Old 10-10-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AirDWN
There's only one con.

It looks stupid as hell.

A snorkel is designed to take in air above an almost completely submerged vehicle. Not for improved street performance/better filtration.
This couldn't be more wrong, with the pre-filter from AEV you have way more filtering power than any stock or CAI filter setup made. Placing the intake above the typical flow of dust also helps immensely. In the conditions mentioned a snorkel could save your engine.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons of a Snorkel