Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...

Old 01-13-2013, 02:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_B
I had the same issue but I was lucky enough to notice it during the install. At first i thought i trimmed the silicon elbow too short and therefore i just got a new elbow and was careful with my trimming this time. The new elbow did help but i still had to let the sealant dry a bit before tightening down the hose clamp. The connection still has me worried a bit.

The issue is the air box itself. The piece of plastic at the bottom of the air box that the silicon elbow slides over is only 3/4" long. Therefore if everything is not aligned properly the elbow will slide off. A longer piece of plastic would allow for a better connection.

I am not worried about the other connections.
I agree with you a longer piece of plastic there maybe even with some ribs would pretty much solve the problem. and when I was un-installing it was a pain to get off the metal pipe that connects the snorkel to the hose then the airbox so those aren't to much of a worry. I don't remember it coming off in the initial install. And I let the sealant dry and it still came off for me. I don't understand because when I took the airbox and the elbow out it still slid out so it couldn't have been an alignment problem.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone else had this problem and solved it or am I the only one and I'm SOL? Pretty frustrating when you pay about $300 for something and it creates a problem that shouldn't have happened with a snorkel much less a factory airbox
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pre-ordered this snorkel kit and have had it installed since they were available. I have not experienced any of these issues.

Did you custom fit the silicon elbow as shown in the install guide?

Starting at step #51

http://www.omix-ada.com/instructions/17756.06.pdf

I spent a lot of time on the fitting of the elbow to the bottom of the airbox. I probably trimmed off a good 2" of material.

Last edited by OH9JK; 01-13-2013 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had kind if the same problem when installing. If I tightened the hose clamp to tight it would start to make it slide off. I tightened down tight enough and it's been holding strong. To help I also used rtv from the inside of the air box around the connection. I used a shit ton if it because I was worried about that joint. All the others I'm not so worried about. I think that piece should be longer or made out of thicker plastic. I think it's a bad design at that one point. Overall I am happy with the snorkel though.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:33 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I pre-ordered this snorkel kit and have had it installed since they were available. I have not experienced any of these issues.

Did you custom fit the silicon elbow as shown in the install guide?

Starting at step #51

http://www.omix-ada.com/instructions/17756.06.pdf

I spent a lot of time on the fitting of the elbow to the bottom of the airbox. I probably trimmed off a good 2" of material.
Yes I spent a good amount of time trimming as well. You can't see that in the picture because I showed the untrimmed side of the elbow that was on the metal side. I followed the instructions to the letter and didn't skip a step.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Stillnutz
I had kind if the same problem when installing. If I tightened the hose clamp to tight it would start to make it slide off. I tightened down tight enough and it's been holding strong. To help I also used rtv from the inside of the air box around the connection. I used a shit ton if it because I was worried about that joint. All the others I'm not so worried about. I think that piece should be longer or made out of thicker plastic. I think it's a bad design at that one point. Overall I am happy with the snorkel though.
I tried like you were saying and used a ton of RTV and it still failed. I tried tightening a little but as soon as I turned the screw on the clamp it would come off. My concern mostly was if it comes off on its own like that what happens when you hit a bump. You don't notice it and go through a puddle you could be screwed
Old 01-13-2013, 03:39 PM
JK Freak

I am very interested in this product although I dont have the finances for it in the near future keep us posted from what rugged ridge response to you
Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 1995nscajeep
I am very interested in this product although I dont have the finances for it in the near future keep us posted from what rugged ridge response to you
I will I'll be sending them an email in the morning and I will let you all know on here. Like everyone has said it needs a longer piece there and it isn't like you can fabricate it because it is molded with the air box they supply with the kit!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:47 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have liked to have seen a longer tube coming from the bottom of the airbox myself.

The other thing I needed to do was to adjust the bracket on the aluminum air tube. This made a big difference in how the elbow matched up to the air box. As you know there are a lot of different angles going on in order to fit all the tubing through the engine compartment.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:50 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OH9JK
I would have liked to have seen a longer tube coming from the bottom of the airbox myself.

The other thing I needed to do was to adjust the bracket on the aluminum air tube. This made a big difference in how the elbow matched up to the air box. As you know there are a lot of different angles going on in order to fit all the tubing through the engine compartment.
When I got mine the welded angle that attaches to the frame on the aluminum tube was bent so I had to bend mine to position to make it straight. and you are right there are a lot of angles in it. That is why you don't really gain performance out of it.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...