Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...

Old 01-13-2013, 03:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had the same problem with mine when installing and also had on of the clips that secures the airbox together break off. Seems like the air box they give you is on the cheap side.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kyle521
ive had the same problem with mine when installing and also had on of the clips that secures the airbox together break off. Seems like the air box they give you is on the cheap side.
Seems like a common problem for this lower airbox they supply. Seems like I'm the only one that didn't notice it during install but when it was too late. Maybe rugged ridge can redesign it!?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:08 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I managed to trim mine to fit pretty well, I did recommend to RR that they extend the plastic lip to make the connection more secure with the elbow.

RR promised me months ago that I was on a "waiting list" for new clamps since the two clamps closest to the fender are really easy to pop open (without any effort).

Overall, I like the snorkel and realize that being the first to have something like this can cause you extra frustration in helping them get the bugs out.

From RR in September 2012:
Good Morning John,

We are working on a new design for the clamps for the 2012 and up and are going to make a rolling change for the 2007-2011. We will gladly send you the new design as soon as they arrive. We are in the approval stage of these clamps as of this week. No definate ETA yet, but the are coming soon. Please e-mail me your address.

Thanks, Eddie
Old 01-13-2013, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Rubicon John
While I managed to trim mine to fit pretty well, I did recommend to RR that they extend the plastic lip to make the connection more secure with the elbow.

RR promised me months ago that I was on a "waiting list" for new clamps since the two clamps closest to the fender are really easy to pop open (without any effort).

Overall, I like the snorkel and realize that being the first to have something like this can cause you extra frustration in helping them get the bugs out.

From RR in September 2012:
Good Morning John,

We are working on a new design for the clamps for the 2012 and up and are going to make a rolling change for the 2007-2011. We will gladly send you the new design as soon as they arrive. We are in the approval stage of these clamps as of this week. No definate ETA yet, but the are coming soon. Please e-mail me your address.

Thanks, Eddie
That's interesting I've not had any problem with the clips, just with the hose. Hmmm any other problems?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Jedi

Subscribed...

I am interested in the new design if one comes out for the 2012.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had the same problem installing mine as well (on my previous '07 JKU). I think the bottom lip of the airbox not only is too short but also almost tapers in a little narrower. The hose pulled off no matter how I adjusted it. I am about 99% positive that I read a response from RR that their new redesign is going to make a longer improved lip for the hose to attach, in addition to better clamps. I LOVED the look and will buy the new one for the 3.6... but it was poorly designed in some aspects. Hopefully RR gets it perfect this time.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKFive-O
I had the same problem installing mine as well (on my previous '07 JKU). I think the bottom lip of the airbox not only is too short but also almost tapers in a little narrower. The hose pulled off no matter how I adjusted it. I am about 99% positive that I read a response from RR that their new redesign is going to make a longer improved lip for the hose to attach, in addition to better clamps. I LOVED the look and will buy the new one for the 3.6... but it was poorly designed in some aspects. Hopefully RR gets it perfect this time.
Seems like a very common problem. My only problem apart from it causing my engine to hydrolock is that I don't want to buy the same snorkel again to fix this problem. I don't want to have to buy it again, you know what I mean? If I have to buy a new snorkel I am going to get something else.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SoutheastOffroader
Seems like a very common problem. My only problem apart from it causing my engine to hydrolock is that I don't want to buy the same snorkel again to fix this problem. I don't want to have to buy it again, you know what I mean? If I have to buy a new snorkel I am going to get something else.
I certainly know what you mean. For me, I now have the new motor so the RR for the 3.8 wont fit. I'm going to try to sell the one I have now. But, I am going to try to fix it myself by adding some type of adapter sleeve to lengthen the lip coming off the airbox. Of course it will have to be permanent, reliable and 100% waterproof for the hose to clamp over and use the RTV silicone. Haven't looked too deeply into it yet but I dont think it would be too difficult
Old 01-14-2013, 06:36 PM
JK Newbie

Seems like they should mold the elbow into to bottom of the air box itself to alleviate one hose clamp connection.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:37 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKFive-O
I certainly know what you mean. For me, I now have the new motor so the RR for the 3.8 wont fit. I'm going to try to sell the one I have now. But, I am going to try to fix it myself by adding some type of adapter sleeve to lengthen the lip coming off the airbox. Of course it will have to be permanent, reliable and 100% waterproof for the hose to clamp over and use the RTV silicone. Haven't looked too deeply into it yet but I dont think it would be too difficult
It would be best if it was built into the airbox body itself to be the most structurally sound (If that's a word haha). My feeling is when I put money into something I expect it to not need excessive stress and not need to be modified just to work. So in other words I expect the product to work if they produce it.

Quick Reply: Rugged Ridge Snorkel Problems...