Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

From Stock to Coilovers and Longarms in one step?

Old 08-23-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Maertz

How is a 12" coilover flexing more than 12" travel shock thats obsurd as jk said... Id listen to dirtman and jk red they know there shit
Yep keep on doing what you think is right

Last edited by Ryan0260; 08-24-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Jedi

Lol you mad? Any way back on topic. P listen to jk and dirt. Dirt has tons of experience and jkred is very knowledgeable also. I have 12" travels shocks and use rod ends with no issues

Last edited by Maertz; 08-23-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM
JK Freak

I have been looking at the possibility of upgrading my suspension too. Trying to research options and make the best choice when I make the move. I spent the last few days out on the trails in the Sierra National Forrest. i came back with two complaints. 1. My ride is rough on the current setup. 2. Those factory rear shock mounts hang up way too much!

With the bolt-on coil-overs your considering you will be cutting the factory rear shock mount a little, moving the shock mount up and adding RockStar skid plates to help take the beating. The coil-overs are still somewhat exposed when backing up or sliding around.

EvoLever looks like a great alternative, particularly if you don't want to replace parts to upgrade later. It is apparently 95% bolt-on. Without the instructions my best guess is that wending some tabs on top of the axle is probably all the welding that is required. The bolt-on coil-overs in the rear will remove a couple inches of the shock mount, but it looks like EvoLever lets you remove more.

Either choice looks great. Once you get the bug you will want to upgrade whatever you get.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:51 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoidMax
If I had the time to play around with the front suspension I think I would run the 14" up into the hood like shown above, but unfortunately I won't be in town long enough to do a lot of custom fab work. When purchasing this JK, my intentions were to CADD/FEA my own everything and build it from scratch, but I am overseas and the JK is not. So, I will probably have to stick to something more out of a box than custom just so I don't spend my entire vacation durations wrenching, cutting, and welding which translates into more fun stuff like hitting the trails.

With that in mind, I just found a reply to an EVO post that is kind of similar to what I am asking about. The poster ordered a pile of parts from EVO just before his/her JK arrived. Below is a copy/paste of a portion of the reply.

EVO MFG NEW BOLT ON COILOVER KIT (FRONT)
EVO MFG NEW BOLT ON COILOVER KIT (REAR)
EVO MFG(4) Extreme High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade Kit
EVO MFG(9) JK Draglink Flip Kit

I'm assuming High Clearance Long Arm Upgrade Kit would cover the arms, brackets, and joints and the Front/Rear Coilover Bolt on Kits would cover the shocks. The Flip Kit corrects some geometry issues. Does this cover the suspension altogether? Anything else from a suspension standpoint required?
I get a ton of PM's not sure if yours was one of them. Your build is good, however we are not selling the high clearance with the bolt on coilovers for the home installer, You will need to go with the Double D long arm kit instead. Everything is the same as the high clearance except for the rear frame brackets. Shoot me a message with your phone number.

It'll be easier to talk on the phone than explain the build via internet forum.

One thing I will say is, how many long arm kits have ran the KOH and the best and the desert series as a test. Not to mention years of abuse on the trails.

EVO1 just won 1st place at the Reno to Vegas race with the off the shelf long arms system and DTD. Same kit as you want to buy!
Old 08-24-2013, 06:54 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

.................................................. .....................

Last edited by chris@offroadevolution; 08-24-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:01 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by JKred
Thanks for taking the time to post more useless and inaccurate information... Tho I'm hesitant to call it that since all you've effectively done is try and justify your purchases with zero useful tech.

A 12" travel shock will always be a 12" travel shock. Whether the spring is stand alone in its own bucket or wrapped around a threaded body shock. Travel is travel.

Yes 12" of travel will blow a factory clevite joint eventually, but as I said before JJ's aren't the only joint on earth that can handle the travel.

That's ok tho. Since you proved I live in Connecticut I must know nothing of the topic. I bow to your technical expertise.
12" of shock travel does not mean 12" of wheel travel. You can make a 12" shock or a 8" shock give 14" of wheel travel.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

JKZinger, You do not NEED to Justify anything. You are the only one that can say your SUSPENSION has ran KOH three years in a row and just won the Vegas to Reno race! We prove our products, Not with our sales pitch but with how we test and race our parts.

Same suspension as EVO1

Old 08-24-2013, 08:00 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chris@offroadevolution
12" of shock travel does not mean 12" of wheel travel. You can make a 12" shock or a 8" shock give 14" of wheel travel.
I never once said wheel travel. Everything I've said has been shock travel. Sure you can mount an 8" shock inboard enough to get lots of wheel travel out of it. As long as your coils are still outboard enough to provide reasonable lateral stability. Mount a coilover far inboard and you throw lateral stability down.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:09 AM
JK Super Freak

[QUOTE=chris@offroadevolution;3657756]JKZinger, You do not NEED to Justify anything. You are the only one that can say your SUSPENSION has ran KOH three years in a row and just won the Vegas to Reno race! We prove our products, Not with our sales pitch but with how we /QUOTE]

This had never once been a debate on the capability of EVO suspension (tho be careful with your claims here, since EVO 1 runs a double throw down, which is a significantly different system than your bolt on.) This had been a discussion on the different suspensions out there and pros/cons. This is MODIFIED TECH, not show and tell. Posting your suspension is the best without having the capability to point out why, and then resorting to calling someone and asshole when multiple people dispute your claims with technical fact... Well how much more do I need to say.

Quick Reply: From Stock to Coilovers and Longarms in one step?