Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Towing caravan in relation to lifts

Old 08-22-2009, 12:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing caravan in relation to lifts

I am considering a 2" lift (I think it will be the OME) for my 4d JK with ARB Combination Bull Bar, Warn XD9000i winch, stock rear.

However I regularly pull a caravan. I load this caravan so that the receiver pressure is about 90 kg (that's about 200 lbs in your language ;-).

Without the lift, the caravan has a tendency to swing quite a bit when driving more than 95 km/h (60 miles) (the caravan is rated to do 130 km/h). When the gas tank drops below 1/2 full, this effect increases a bit.

I blame this to length of the caravan (25 ft), the relatively soft sides of the tires in relationship with the height of the tires (increasing/decreasing pressure doesn't make any difference) in combination with the relative soft stock suspension.

Here's my question: will the ride with the caravan improve or get worse with the OME 2" lift. Do I have to take any additional measures.

Thanks for your insights!

Nils
Old 08-22-2009, 12:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

caravan (25 ft)
Wow, what does that thing weigh? (did a quick search and found a 25' caravan at 4,500 lbs?) I'd guess the trouble you are having isn't just from the size/length, but because it is WAY over the tow limit on your JK. Adding a lift, and raising the center of gravity, will only make it worse. On the plus side I guess - wider tires/wider stance, keeping the tank full and adding a ton of weight to the JK should help stabilize it 'a little'. But then you're looking at a hemi swap to have the power to move...

Don't know what to tell ya, JK's simply weren't designed to be tow rigs.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

The JK 4D is rated to pull 3500kg (if the caravan has it's own brakes that is). Loaded with all the vacation goodies, the caravan weighs about 1600kgs so there is still a lot of safety margin there.

The engine has no problem with the weight, running at 2000 rpm in 4th gear going about 60 mph (on flat roads).

Also I make sure the caravan is loaded evenly (with 90 kg on the receiver) and keeping all the heavy stuff as low as possible (high center of gravity of the caravan in combination with high speed is the major cause of caravan swing).

The JK is pretty heavy loaded with tent, beer, Weber baby-Q etc.

So everything should be ok, any other suggestions (other than the HEMI upgrade I would love to do, but won't happen in this marriage
Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try purchasing a set of sway control arms. The connect farther back on the tounge and to the sides of the hitch and are spring loaded and help dampen the sway. I know alot of people that use them here in the states with good results.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the suggestion. But my caravan has a stabilizer system build in (basically it increase the friction on the receiver ball head) so wouldn't that do the same or will your suggestion add anything to this system.

Nils
Old 08-22-2009, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless your JK is built differently than ones in the US it is rated to tow 3500 lbs not 3500 kg. Your trailer is at 3527 lbs if it is 1600 kgs so yes you are maxed out for towing.

It will probably never tow well but you should look into a weight distributing hitch and an anti-sway bar. They are different than what you have and will help.

I tried the bigger trailer, smaller tow vehicle thing and it sucks. That's why I bought a big diesel truck.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Scottw beat me to it...

The only other things I can think of that may help is a wider stance (wider tires and less backspace to push them out further), and maybe using adjustable control arms all around to lengthen the wheelbase. Maybe...
Old 08-22-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

i'd say get a 1 ton or 3/4 ton truck and be done with it. jeeps just aren't tow rigs
Old 08-22-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Hate to be cocky, but I am pretty sure about the data:
- my Jeep is rated to pull 3500kg when trailer/caravan has brakes (just checked my license certificate, in Europe every vehicle has to be type rated for maximum towing capacity, specified for braked and non-braked trailers):
- caravan is stabilized
- engine power is not an issue at all; uphill I was overtaking a lot of Diesel powered cars when driving in France last month
- Our local AAA advices that the caravan should ideally weigh no more than 75% of the car (including passengers and luggage); with all the after market stuff I sit around 70%. So I should be fine there as well.

So I am puzzled but suspecting suspension/tires.

Nils
Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok you must have the diesel engine which I just found is rated to 3500 kg towing.

But...the short, narrow wheel base will just never handle big loads well. If you lift make sure your hitch is set up so the trailer rides level. If the trailer has more weight to the rear than the front it will be more prone to sway.

Planman called it as I was typing.

Quick Reply: Towing caravan in relation to lifts