Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Weighed my JK

Old 07-23-2009, 08:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to set the record straight, the only reason I made mention of the fuel was to give everyone a honest report of the weight. I drive it cuz I love it, when the gauge is on "E" I fill it back up. On another topic, WOL I will measure the gate Saturday, I definitely see another NorCal run coming. Oh and 5.7 would be sweet! Maybe next years tax return.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:23 PM
JK Freak

I bet with your 40's and all your mods your up there with Mel, WOL. I'm just guessing, but I bet your close.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:29 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JKDinker
Just to set the record straight, the only reason I made mention of the fuel was to give everyone a honest report of the weight. I drive it cuz I love it, when the gauge is on "E" I fill it back up.
now that's funny - you and me both.

On another topic, WOL I will measure the gate Saturday, I definitely see another NorCal run coming. Oh and 5.7 would be sweet! Maybe next years tax return.
oh, i can only hope i get a return this year. hmmmm, maybe i need to buy more stuff for a write-off

Originally Posted by JKDinker
I bet with your 40's and all your mods your up there with Mel, WOL. I'm just guessing, but I bet your close.
oh, i don't doubt it.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by planman
I understand that in Montana on I90 near my hometown, the weigh stations close at night.

However, the digital display is still lighted and you can see it through the weigh station window.

I haven't done this to weigh my jeep, but a couple friends have.
OMG, that is so funny. i may just have to keep my eyes open for one and try it

Also, when you go to the city dump here in Billings, they weigh your rig when you stop at the entry kiosk. I suppose I could find an old television or computer monitor to throw away and drive out to the dump. I'd be able to see the display on the scale to know how much the rig weighs.
well, if you do, can you weigh both your JK's?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Originally Posted by planman
Well...I can probably find 2 old computer monitors to take out to the dump and we can make it a family event
that's what i'm talking about. a family outting to the dump just to get your jk's weighed
Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
weight in and of itself is not a problem - it's a matter of where it is that'll screw you up on the trail. getting rid of things like your hard top and doors for the trail will free up a lot of weight up high and help keep your cog down but you might want to keep things like your bumpers on as they are attached to your frame and should help you out.

for a trail like bronco peak, you'll do just fine but i would recommend that you go doorless. for one, it'll be hot as hell out there and for 2, you'll be gald that you did towards the bottom where it gets real tight.
Hmmm. Never thought of it like that. I've always just thought of it like a skinny fit mountain climber scaling up the rocks vs a big fat lady waddling up the rocks. Sometimes my Jeep feels like that fat lady with a funnel cake in one hand and a smoked turkey leg in the other.

Got a visual????
Old 07-24-2009, 01:57 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by patsav
What would be standard weight for a stock 2 door & 4 door?
on a 2-door, the curb weight of an X is 3,760 lbs. and a rubicon is 4,129 lbs. everything else is somewhere in between.

on an unlimited, the curb weight of an X is 4,075 lbs and a rubicon is 4,340 lbs. and everything else is somewhere in between.
FYI:

My 07 Unlimited, VIN starting with 1J8GA has 5400 LBS on the sticker on the door frame...
Add to that, my 215lb rear, and 100+lb of ORFab parts, and I am almost near 5800 lbs without fuel.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:06 AM
JK Junkie

that's what i'm talking about. a family outting to the dump just to get your jk's weighed
Hah! That is funny.

What's even funnier is I would actually have to do that since there isn't any weigh station anywhere near me.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:41 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hace checked RubyDoo twice and the first time in 2008 she weighed in @ 5320 and now she weighs in 5420in 2009. Both times about half a tank of gas.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:53 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by BryGuy
He was smuggling a hole pile of Mexican's over the boarder to work in his shop at the time
Man, you have never been to Mel's shop have you. He run's a 1st class outfit. Great people that love the sport. And I will never bring how much gas is in the tank up again! Ha.

Quick Reply: Weighed my JK